• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signals Officer

Hey!  That's my related civilian job!!  We don't train Sigs on that!!

Hi there,

Can a Signals Officer contact me by PM please?

Thank you!!

M

MJLANT said:
Hi there,

Can a Signals Officer contact me by PM please?

Thank you!!

M

No, probably not, they're really bad at communicating! That's why they have ACISS trades...

:p

Hahahaha!!  I received all information I was looking for from two very nice Signals Officers. :nod:

Hi,

I have a few questions about signals officers that I would like to get answered. I have looked around these forums and haven't really found proper answers to these questions so that is why I am asking these questions. Thanks in advance!

1) I have heard that Signals Officers don't work with any of the equipment; they sit in a cubicle and do paperwork. Is this 100% true? Are Signal Officer duties and ACISS duties really that black and white or is there some overlap?

2) On deployment, do signals officers just sit around on base or do you get to go "outside of the wire"?

3) Do signals officers get to spend time in the field or do you always sit in a cubicle?

Once again thanks in advance! I just want to make sure I don't choose a job that I will regret.  :salute:

1) If you're running equipment, all your ACISS guys are dead and you're in a world of hurt. You will manage people, equipment and design plans that your ACISS will execute.

2) If you're patrolling as a Sig O, something seriously went wrong.

3) If you end up posted to a field unit, or HQ and Sigs, you'll go to the field. Probably a lot.

If you want to get your hands dirty and do field work, be a NCM. If you want to manage those getting their hands dirty, and do higher level signals planning while sometimes being in a field office, be a Sig O.

The only problem I have with that is that I feel like then going to university is a waste of time and that NCM don't get paid as much as officers. What is your take on this?

We have lots of ACISS members with college or university degree. It's a highly technical field and the education is not wasted.

You can top your DP1 course, and then all the COs will fight for you to go to their unit. There are 9 HQ and Sigs postings, and a couple for JSR/EW out of 40 or so candidates. The course is run once a year. The math is not good to get a field posting, being in the top third is a good way to get where you want to go.

Alright, thanks for all the info! I have one more question if you wouldn't mind answering:

I'm planning on going to university and getting a computer science degree because that is what I'm interested in. Do you think that what I learn in Computer Science will benefit me as a Signals Officer?

You're not going to do a lot of computer programming. That being said, your degree can help you plan complex communications systems. There's also opportunities to start working in the cyber warfare domain, or at the very least network security.

Soldier100 said:
Also, how can I guarantee that I'll be posted to a field unit?

Join as an NCM. Pretty much everyone goes to a field unit for their first posting, and if you want to stay in one it is easy to do so.

The ONLY thing I don't like about NCM is that their pay doesn't seem that good. Otherwise, I would definitely go NCM.

Soldier100 said:
The ONLY thing I don't like about NCM is that their pay doesn't seem that good. Otherwise, I would definitely go NCM.

The pay is more than sufficient unless you're drowning in debt. Lots of Sigs NCMs own their own home and support a family on their salary and live comfortably. I could have started as a Jr network tech in some big server farm making $15/h, and maybe gotten a few raises here and there. After 4 years in the CF I was making almost $50k a year and supporting a family.

That being said, the ones that join for the money rapidly realize its not that its cracked up to be. Especially if you only want to be an officer for the cash. If you want better pay, go to the private sector.

Soldier100 said:

So your only concern is "MONEY"?  Sorry, but you are off to a very bad start.

George Wallace said:
So your only concern is "MONEY"?  Sorry, but you are off to a very bad start.

No, I never said my ONLY concern is money. That is a factor because of course, I need to be able to pay for myself, however that is certainly not the only reason I am looking to join the army.

PuckChaser said:
The pay is more than sufficient unless you're drowning in debt. Lots of Sigs NCMs own their own home and support a family on their salary and live comfortably. I could have started as a Jr network tech in some big server farm making $15/h, and maybe gotten a few raises here and there. After 4 years in the CF I was making almost $50k a year and supporting a family.

That being said, the ones that join for the money rapidly realize its not that its cracked up to be. Especially if you only want to be an officer for the cash. If you want better pay, go to the private sector.

Wow, that salary actually sounds better than what I expected an NCM to actually make. After doing some thinking, I think I'm going to stick to my original plan to apply for Signals Officer as I like the idea of having the satisfaction that comes with making a successful plan that gets done correctly and because I feel like Signals Officers have a decent balance between being out in the field and not being in the field.

Thanks, you have really given me some insightful information on Signals Officers.  :salute:

Soldier100 said:
Wow, that salary actually sounds better than what I expected an NCM to actually make. After doing some thinking, I think I'm going to stick to my original plan to apply for Signals Officer as I like the idea of having the satisfaction that comes with making a successful plan that gets done correctly and because I feel like Signals Officers have a decent balance between being out in the field and not being in the field.

Thanks, you have really given me some insightful information on Signals Officers.  :salute:

Soldier100 said:

Did you even look at the pay scales?  ::)

It is no secret that Officer's make more money but really making 50k a year after 4 years and having all your training paid for is pretty damn good.

Soldier100 said:
The ONLY thing I don't like about NCM is that their pay doesn't seem that good.

Soldier100 said:
No, I never said my ONLY concern is money.

Guess I misunderstood.

Back