• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sig Sauer P225

Naval Reservist

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find the P225 for sale in Canada. After using it for my trade ive fallen in love and want to use it civy side. I keep finding them with modified barrels but I cant find them with just the stock weapon.

Any ideas are appreciated!

And you won't find any either.

If you were one of the very few people in Canada holding the permits and authorizations to legally carry one outside a military/law enforcement role, you would not need to make the post you just made. You would know exactly what to do.

So I guess the closest I can get would be the P226 if om correct or the P225 with a modified barrel?

You technically could get a Delorean, a mad scientist and a well placed lighting bolt to go back in time... or possibly forward in time if the new common sense law changes our system... but your safer gamble is back in time.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

Look NR, I know you live in London, ON, and its a pretty boring town. However, before you go about acquiring a hand gun (any hand gun) in Canada (You are not in the USA), I strongly suggest you start by contacting your local shooting/gun club or your local police and inquire into what it is you need to do to legally acquire and own such a weapon. You might be surprised.

I do have my restricted and am a member of a gun club, I know all about restricted firearms just not the variants on sig sauers. Its why I posted here just thought someone may know something.

there are a few that show up on CGN on occasion fitted with a longer barrel. As I recall the 225 is a shortened Sig 220 in 9mm. You could keep your eye open for a ex-German Sig 220 in 9mm but it will have the heel release. The 220 in .45acp is single stacked as well and has the side mag release. The Norinco NP-34 is a direct copy (except for lock block) of the Sig 228, or you could buy the 229. If you are on a budget and don't want the Norinco, seriously consider the Sig 2022 in 9mm. Try to fondle the guns before buying as each gun will fit your hand differently.

Colin P said:
there are a few that show up on CGN on occasion fitted with a longer barrel. As I recall the 225 is a shortened Sig 220 in 9mm. You could keep your eye open for a ex-German Sig 220 in 9mm but it will have the heel release. The 220 in .45acp is single stacked as well and has the side mag release. The Norinco NP-34 is a direct copy (except for lock block) of the Sig 228, or you could buy the 229. If you are on a budget and don't want the Norinco, seriously consider the Sig 2022 in 9mm. Try to fondle the guns before buying as each gun will fit your hand differently.

Thank for the quality reply,

I have looked at the 220 before. I can't seem to find one in 9mm but the .45acp with heel magazine release is looking mighty fine! Norinco is a bit out of my price range as a naval reservist in college, maybe in the future I can take a look at it.

Thanks,
NR

Unlikely to find a 220 in 45acp with a heel release, most were in 9mm

Plus you can't afford to shoot .45acp by the sound of it. Your best options for now is either the Nork NP-22 or NP-34 and if you need to stick to Sig, get a Classic Sig in .22cal and later buy a upper in 9mm. Eventually get a small Lee press (no your dick won't fall off if you use Lee) and start reloading 9mm which will still save you money and teach you a lot about shooting. As your money flow improves you can acquire more guns and reloading stuff.

Does buying the 226 in 22 and then buying an upper 9mm work out to buying a 9mm from the get go?
Also, the thought of reloading is daunting. It seems to me that the initial cost and the time required may no be justified if you don't shoot anything but 22 every week.

cryco said:
Does buying the 226 in 22 and then buying an upper 9mm work out to buying a 9mm from the get go?
Also, the thought of reloading is daunting. It seems to me that the initial cost and the time required may no be justified if you don't shoot anything but 22 every week.

No reloading your own ammunition can save you tons of money. I reload my own .22lr rounds already and it saves me a TON of money! Even though I don't shoot all that often.

You can find some decent package deals on a 226 9mm with the .22 conversion. I shot a friends and thought it was pretty neat and well worth it for shooting cheap and similar to the work gun.

Naval Reservist said:
No reloading your own ammunition can save you tons of money. I reload my own .22lr rounds already and it saves me a TON of money! Even though I don't shoot all that often.
You reload .22lr rounds yourself and you save money?  Really? 

How do you reprime the used cases?  Considering that rim fires (is .22LR) use a liquid primer that is spun into the cases centrifugally, unless your name is Winchester/Remington/Lapua etc you typically don't. Yes, I am aware that you can use ground up matches or paper cap gun rolls, but, really. Similarly, show me the 22LR reloading dies made by Hornady/RCBS/etc. And yes, I am also aware of the sharpshooter brand reloading stuff.

Unless you are in a SHTF survivalist situation with unlimited time on your hands, it is far more economical to buy bricks of 22.

I do agree that reloading centre fire pistol is cost and time effective, particularly if you have a progressive reloading press such as Dillon. And my experience reloading 9 mm/.357 mag/38 Spl/40 S&W/45 Colt/45 ACP indicate that 45 is about 50% to 100% more expensive than .355 or .357, mainly in the more expensive cost of bullets and brass. 

they're pretty guns, but I held one and it felt kind of small in my hands. I still haven't found one that fits like a glove in my large hands.

As far as reloading goes, how long does it take you to reload? Time is in short supply for me, this is why I never bothered looking into reloading.
I have to book a date just to clean my guns.

cryco said:
they're pretty guns, but I held one and it felt kind of small in my hands. I still haven't found one that fits like a glove in my large hands.

As far as reloading goes, how long does it take you to reload? Time is in short supply for me, this is why I never bothered looking into reloading.

Desert Eagle, ridiculously huge grips...

cryco said:

Put a set of Hogue Monogrips on it.

cryco said:

Once you are setup reloading pistol is fast, even a Lee turret press will put out about 150 rds an hour. Dillion's are wonderful presses but unless you have money to burn or shooting a lot of rounds, then it's not generally worth it.

You can reload .22cal, but that is very time consuming and you have to work with a very explosive mixture to reprime the rim. I don't know anyone personally that does reload .22cal and I know/met a a fair number of people in the industry. Thre are a few blogs out their covering the process.

.22 LR reloading kits do exist, and one was recently tested on CGN with a mostly favourable report made on its function. 

For the effort vs result, I'm not heading that way for reloading any time soon.  Besides, I have 4+ cases of .22 hanging around, so I'm not in a rush to get more.  Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

As for an actual Sig 225, well, I'll let you know that The Shooting Edge brought some in several years ago with extended barrels installed.  They sold for $1049, which is why I never bought one.  I'm not sure how many they brought in, but it was a limited quantity.  I'd start with calling them to see if they have one tucked away in the back of the shop still.

If you cannot get a 225, then the 226 is pretty darn close in terms of fit and form.  They are still in production, and you can still get parts for them too.

The sub-caliber .22 slide is a darn good idea for it too.

NS

SFRC has ex-armorer 226's from time to time. When they go onsale they can be an extra %25 off. Theyre like new, but covered with scratches from people taking them apart repeatedly. I picked up a DAK with night sights for under $500. Ordered a can of Duracoat from Beetle Outdoor Supply for $45 and now it looks like new. Id avoid the Norc unless you can get a known good used one from somebody at your club; which will only set you back $200 or so.

cryco said:

This is what I did.
I got the .22 P226 for around $600 or $700 (which came with the beavertail grip commonly found in the more expensive P226 Dark Elite model) and then picked up a 9mm upper slide for $259. 
The frame is the same whether you buy the .22LR, 9mm, .45 etc..

Some people also like buying a .22LR Sig 226 and then purchasing different slides because you will only have a .22LR handgun registered and not a 9mm.

As far as reloading going I know of quite a few people who find it cheaper/less time consuming to just buy average quality bulk 9mm ammo.

Back