• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHOPPING DAY

Do you support granting of subject to members based on religion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CountDC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Thought of this again as I was out shopping and the store I was in had both Halloween and Christmas displays set up already.

The basis of this question is simple - everywhere I have worked so far gives either an afternoon or full day off to members for Christmas shopping. I never thought of this as a problem until 2 places I have worked recently did not give time off to members that do not celebrate Christmas.  The assumption was that because they did not celebrate Christmas they did not need the time as they had no gift giving to do.

Problems with this thinking:

just because the mbr does not celebrate Christmas does not mean they do not have friends/relatives that do and they may want to buy them gifts out of respect for thier belief.

some people that celebrate different holidays, such as Chanukah, still buy gifts for their children. Chanukah itself has 8 days and some buy a gift for each day.

Myself - I support giving it to everyone.  Mind you I also believe in sliders on Fridays.  ;D

I support everyone doing their shopping on their own f*****g time.

time off for XMass shopping ???

C'mon, give me a break.... NO!
Stores are open  like 10 to 10 each day, six or seven days a week...
Do your shopping on your own time

geo said:
Stores are open  like 10 to 10 each day, six or seven days a week...

Even better, do it at a 24 hr Walmart.  If that doesn't fit into everyone's schedule... ::)

I guess there is grounds for a new holiday to be presented to our polician's, "national christmas shopping day" complete with triple time status and complementary ham.  ::)

I have never worked for an organization which provided its employee's with paid time off to shop for xmas gifts. I have however worked for organizations which allowed you to request vacation leave. I would imagine any employer who knowingly allows some employees time off while not others based upon their religion is conducting unfair labour practices and/or discrimination which based upon this site's discussion surrounding Human Rights Commissions they would be all over that.

So I am in agreement with the above posters. Minus the complementary ham. Now I hope no one is spending the afternoon on this site while at work! >:D

Snafu-Bar said:
I guess there is grounds for a new holiday to be presented to our polician's, "national christmas shopping day" complete with triple time status and complementary ham.  ::)

They do.... it's called "boxing day"

I recall getting an afternoon off a couple of times in Petawawa as a "Christmas Shopping day". That wasn't the case in Halifax, PEI, Trenton or here though.

And even in Pet, we didn't get them as a "given", we got them "if" our work was completed and it didn't interfere with any tasks.

Which damn Province has 24/7 Walmarts and shopping!!?? (The same provinces that open up for business on November 11th I'd imagine.  :mad:) Certainly not this one ... damn - there's Provinces here on the East Coast that limit Sunday shopping to a few weeks a year still ...

http://www.gov.pe.ca/news/getrelease.php3?number=5147

But Novemeber 11th ... opening on that one day a year STILL irritates the hell out of me.

ArmyVern said:
Which damn Province has 24/7 Walmarts and shopping!!?? ...

The one in North Bay changed their times to 24 hrs during December last year for Christmas, and then kept it like that.  I know I've seen others around too, just can't remember where offhand.  Makes it great for shift workers!  Our A&P and Sobeys are 24/7 too.  But none of them are open on stats though, although I recall the stores in Victoria being open every day except for XMas day.

Vern...
Quebec as a rule does not shut down on 11 Nov... and we don't have 24/7 Wallmart services... matter of fact, they just got one unionized...

airmich said:
The one in North Bay changed their times to 24 hrs during December last year for Christmas, and then kept it like that.  I know I've seen others around too, just can't remember where offhand.  Makes it great for shift workers!  Our A&P and Sobeys are 24/7 too.  But none of them are open on stats though, although I recall the stores in Victoria being open every day except for XMas day.

I'm quite sure that November 11th is not a Stat in Ontario.  :mad: (Perhaps it has become a Stat there since I left in '03??)

Damn Feds should fix that --- right across the country.

ArmyVern said:
I'm quite sure that November 11th is not a Stat in Ontario.  :mad: (Perhaps it has become a Stat there since I left in '03??)

Nope, not a stat here.  Sorry Vern, was just talking in generalization about store openings and hadn't centered in on your comments on 11 Nov.

And, before you ask.... IT IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME TOO!

ArmyVern said:

According to this site, Remembrance Day is a stat in the federal jurisdiction, and quite a few provinces & all of the territories also show it as a stat.  Now for the last few to get onboard!

Ottawa City Council is arguing over a motion to pass a Bylaw that would require all businesses, other than "Corner Stores" and "Pharmacy/Drug Stores", to remain closed until 1230 hrs on Nov 11.

mich... Quebec bureaucrats have Nov 11th off... the remainder of the proletariat don't....

Effing unbelievable!!!

geo said:
And, before you ask.... IT IRRITATES THE HELL OUT OF ME TOO!

Good thing you aren't in Ottawa today, or you would be mighty frustrated.  As noted by George, CBC radio has been reporting on the issue all day, and it was in the Citizen this morning.  
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/08/19/ot-remembrance-080819.html

Like Vern, I remember different units in Kingston giving a 1/2 day off for shopping.  I haven't heard of it in a few years though, and really, I think it was an excuse by some CO's/OC's to give a break to their troops around Christmas.  If that was the intention, they might want to rethink using the term 'shopping,' in today's day and age.

To the point of the original post, if a CO is giving the time off just to those who celebrate Christmas, and not to those who don't celebrate that holiday, he/she is on a slippery slope.  If they were to complain, the CO might have to give them another day off to prepare for whichever religious holiday they observe.  Then it turns from a slippery slope into a cliff.  IMHO - lots of religions in the workplace today, lets just stick with the actual religious days of observance when it comes to time off.

ArmyVern said:

Nope,

Our Premiere appeased us Veterans by naming a Highway, then within a month designated a day in February as "Family Day"....

This has caused many businesses, including where I work, to take away the Civic Holiday in August.

I have offered this challenge, and have yet to get the answers we need...

tess' rememberance day challenge  

dileas

tess

Back