• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHOPPING DAY

Do you support granting of subject to members based on religion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the CO feels that everyone deserves a full or half day "reward" for good work, that can be used for XMass shopping, he can give a "short".

BinRat55 said:
This is a very valid point - I for one have worked for Vern, and never ... NEVER want to get caught with my ass hanging in the wind... You know where the leave pass is, don't you Mike?

Yes, you did work for me ...

and I probably still have copies of those CYA passes hanging about for weekend leaves etc.

And, to this day - I insist that ALL my supervisory staff have same from their subordinates ... gawd forbid something happen to one of my pers while travelling (or other) ... even if just for the weekend.

geo said:
If the CO feels that everyone deserves a full or half day "reward" for good work, that can be used for XMass shopping, he can give a "short".

Interesting concept Geo (now I'm going to get you on a 'technicality'!!  >:D) ...

Given that:

COs may grant up to 2 days per month short leave.

So, if your Christmas period leave pass includes 6 annual, 3 stat, 8 weekend, 2 special, and 4 short (as most Units do [less the Scrooge's already noted in this thread ...  ;)]) ... so that you can have the Christmas/New Year's leave period off (3 weeks) ...

Just how is that CO giving you a short to go "shopping" in December? You've already got a leave pass for the 2 short for Dec (above) & 2 short for Jan (above).

Hmmmm....

They call it a slider, have you sign a leave pass ... and slip it under their desk blotter should anything happen to your butt that day. If so, they then fill it in for annual ... and send it up to the OR.

Is this actually not more like the actuality of the situation ... ??  Fess up already ... I've got 20 years in!  ;)

Let's face the facts full on:

Questions:

1)  How many supervisors on this forum have NEVER asked their personnel to "fill in a leave pass and sign it, leaving the dates blank so that I can submit it up the CoC if something happens to you. I'll keep it on your file in my office." ??

And,

2)  How many personnel on this forum have NEVER been asked to do the above by one of their supervisors?

I'm willing to place a round of beers for the house on the fact that the practice outlined (yellowed font) in question 1 is actually the common practise ... and not the exception.

I have done both in the past (yesterday is the past right?) >:D

The CO should give a short day in November.  Don't leave the holiday shopping until the last minute!!!
shopping.jpg
    ;D

I agree with Vern re: common practices about blank leave passes.  However, I see nothing wrong with that.  E.R Campbell told me the following, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away:

Manager do things right; Leaders do the right thing

The two are sometimes mutually exclusive, in my opinion.  Sometimes it feels like I have too many "managers" working for me and not enough “leaders”.  Don't get me wrong, my staff, through doing things "right" have kept me out of jail on multiple occasions, particularly on PF/NPF/COMSEC and CSD matters, but as I rose in rank, I began to realize that sometimes you need to deviate from the regulations to ensure your people are not seen off.  I am certainly NOT suggesting that we burn the rule books - most of them are darn good rules, but occasionally, very occasionally, some wiggle room needs to be found.  Would I expect my NCOs to do this kind of thing on their own?  Not necessarily - I wouldn't put them in that kind of position - it (wilfully deviating from established regulations) is a responsibility that I, as 2nd in Command, accept fully and on my own, as are the subsequent repercussions should something go pear shaped.  If that makes me a poor leader, so be it.

My 2 cents

MARS

MARS said:
I agree with Vern re: common practices about blank leave passes.  However, I see nothing wrong with that.  E.R Campbell told me the following, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away:

Manager do things right; Leaders do the right thing

The two are sometimes mutually exclusive, in my opinion.  Sometimes it feels like I have too many "managers" working for me and not enough “leaders”.  Don't get me wrong, my staff, through doing things "right" have kept me out of jail on multiple occasions, particularly on PF/NPF/COMSEC and CSD matters, but as I rose in rank, I began to realize that sometimes you need to deviate from the regulations to ensure your people are not seen off.  I am certainly NOT suggesting that we burn the rule books - most of them are darn good rules, but occasionally, very occasionally, some wiggle room needs to be found.  Would I expect my NCOs to do this kind of thing on their own?  Not necessarily - I wouldn't put them in that kind of position - it (wilfully deviating from established regulations) is a responsibility that I, as 2nd in Command, accept fully and on my own, as are the subsequent repercussions should something go pear shaped.  If that makes me a poor leader, so be it.

My 2 cents

MARS

And, I wholeheartedly agree.

I have my supervisors retain a signed leave pass for each of their pers within the members file - should, as I said, the worst happen to occur. I'm quite sure that most of us have in our lives ... ended up doing some unplanned travel on weekends for any myriad of reasons. It could be as simple as ...

it was pouring rain out in Oromocto all weekend during the kids summer vacation, so on Saturday we decided "nuts to this" and packed up the kids for a day trip to Magic Mountain up the trans-Canada. Or, say from Kingston, a trip to the Toronto Zoo.

I know that while I was in Pet, I certainly had the odd weekends where we'd end up travelling unplanned down Hwy 17 to Ottawa to shop, sometimes further (ie Montreal). It was nice to know that my supervisor had a CYA leave pass in my file should anything occur.

In my 20 years of service, I don't recall any of my supervisors not doing the same. It is something that I also practise ... it is done in an effort to ensure my soldiers and subordinates are looked after should they find themselves in like circumstances; it is not done with the intention of abusing any leave system or regulation.

These leave passes will not be filled out and handed in, for example, should Bloggins decide not to show for work one morning to cover his butt ... he is - quite simply - AWOA. Nor are they viewed as a CYA to allow the troops to screw off from work on Friday afternoons with the intention of "filing them if we get caught/queried". That's abuse. That's not me.

Vern.. not a problem with your technicality.
As Pmedmoe proposed... DS solution to that quandary is for the CO to hand out a short, if so deserved to personnel in November... thus leaving those 2+2shorts for Dec/Jan XMass block leave

geo said:
Vern.. not a problem with your technicality.
As Pmedmoe proposed... DS solution to that quandary is for the CO to hand out a short, if so deserved to personnel in November... thus leaving those 2+2shorts for Dec/Jan XMass block leave

It wouldn't work. It's not fair to the females of the CF. We'd actually use that day short in November to Christmas shop; the boys would STILL be rushing about on Christmas Eve doing last minute shopping ... having utilized their own November short day as an excuse to gather somewhere and drink beer/play hockey/drink more beer ...  >:D

ArmyVern said:
... the boys would STILL be rushing about on Christmas Eve doing last minute shopping ... having utilized their own November short day as an excuse to gather somewhere and drink beer/play hockey/drink more beer ...  >:D

You only know this 'cause you did it WITH us...  ;D

ArmyVern said:
the boys would STILL be rushing about on Christmas Eve doing last minute shopping ... having utilized their own November short day as an excuse to gather somewhere and drink beer/play hockey/drink more beer ...  >:D

But vern... Beer was the 1st XMass gift that the boys would buy.
Then, just to be certain, they would have to do a "quality control" test.... would want 9D to be drinking bad beer at XMass - would you?

geo said:
But vern... Beer was the 1st XMass gift that the boys would buy.
Then, just to be certain, they would have to do a "quality control" test.... would want 9D to be drinking bad beer at XMass - would you?

Exactly why you should buy me tequila instead.  ;)

OK... I can quality control that for you ;D

(is that with or without the worm ?)

geo said:
OK... I can quality control that for you ;D

(is that with or without the worm ?)

Most defintely 'with'.

No worries, NFLD Sapper is taking me out to Griffens Friday night, so perhaps you can delegate that quality control task down to him and really get a head start on your Christmas shopping ...  8)

Vern... I love the way you think 8)
Just a darned shame that you are in Gagetown & I'm in Montreal

Oh well..... :cheers:

geo said:
Vern... I love the way you think 8)
Just a darned shame that you are in Gagetown & I'm in Montreal

Oh well..... :cheers:

You may be S-O-O-L ... Nflad Sapper is standing in my office right now (after bringing me an XL Black Timmies - I think I'm in love) ...

He says "you snooze, you lose".  >:D

Back