• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ships diver training

basrah

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,
  Did a search, but came up with nothing. In my quest to OT to become a clearance diver my unit has agreed to send me on a ships diver course if it becomes available. I didnt think this was possible as an infanteer, but turns out it does come up every now and then.

My question is what does this course entail? Is there a selection process? What sort of training would those who have already done the course suggest? My swimming, running, strength and endurance are all pretty good, but I am always willing to concentrate more effort where it may be needed.

Anyone who has done the course and can give me some pointers would have my eternal gratitude.

If you go to the 12 Wing/Shearwater DIN site, I think you'll find a link to FDU (A).  They run the course.  I am on a GP-net machine or I'd post a link to it.  You could probably email someone right at the dive unit for info.

Oh, I forgot to mention.  There is a pre-test you MUST pass to be a Clearance Diver.

You MUST be able to walk around with your Oakley's stuck on your forehead, no headdress on, and chew gum.

;D

I had a look at the site, but couldnt find the position of the FDU. I have had a good look at the Westcoast site and while it is very helpful as to what a ships dive team and clearance diver does, it doesnt go into much detail as to how a potential candidate should prepare themselves. I have heard that military diving is much different from civi side, so I would imagine going out and getting my open water dive license wouldnt help too much. Just wondering more what to expect from the course, how much and what kind of cock is going to be dished out, and how to best train.

As for the pre-test for the clearance diver, as someone who sports a maroon beret, I am certainly not new to disobeying the dress regs!

Thanks for the website.

you'll be fine. just "play the game" and enjoy the fun. Good luck

Several of my friends took the course back in the days of J valves and non-PC Petty Officers. t was hard but good, I suspect they don't harass the candiates now as much as they did then. The Coast Guard used to send it's ships' divers onto the course

I'v been checking online for the CF Diver's Express Test standard but I haven't been able to find it. Out of curiosity, is someone here aware of the standard as it stands in 2011?

Cheers.

They've done away with the diver standard it seems - you have to have a current CF ExPres, and given the level of PT you do on course, make sure you're incentive exempt, as you'll have alot of problems if you aren't.

MM

So heres the deal.

As an infanteer, you can totally get on the course as far as FDU is concerned. The hard part will be getting your unit to let you go. They dont care who is on it. I've seen Air Force techs, Supply techs, pilots, even aerospace engineers. Here is a list of upcomming training. (you may only be able to see it from work)

http://halifax.mil.ca/fdu/docs/FDU(A)_Course_Sched_2011.doc

The course is not extremely difficult, but it's not a cakewalk either. Your looking at 12 days most days. Night dives twice a week, 18 hour days. Courses usually lose 1/3 to 1/2 of people before grad due to injuries, pussys and quitters. If you finished battleschool, youll do fine.

Be able to run 10k, and be able to handle cold water, thats it. No need to know how to swim or dive.

You do realize that the question you're replying to is about 2 years old eh?  And it was already answered...Just thought I'd let you know.

MM

Dom902 said:
Air Force techs, Supply techs, pilots, even aerospace engineers.

You also realize all these trades can be or are part of a ships company right ?

Besides why would you want the Ships Team Diver course if your not part of a ships diving team ?

Halifax Tar said:
You also realize all these trades can be or are part of a ships company right ?

Besides why would you want the Ships Team Diver course if your not part of a ships diving team ?

Unless you're an engineer and can get a Combat Diver Course, it's the only way to remuster to Clearance Diver - known a few guys to go that route.  Also, I know medics that support engineer dive troops that take it so they can get in the water - the Diving Medicine course doesn't qualify you to dive - just to do diving and hyperbaric medicine.  You get some famil swims on the the gear, but that's all.

MM

medicineman said:
Unless you're an engineer and can get a Combat Diver Course, it's the only way to remuster to Clearance Diver - known a few guys to go that route.  Also, I know medics that support engineer dive troops that take it so they can get in the water - the Diving Medicine course doesn't qualify you to dive - just to do diving and hyperbaric medicine.  You get some famil swims on the the gear, but that's all.

MM

There you go folks you do learn something every day! Now back to Tina with sports!

Back