• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Thank you both for the education. Now lets hope we are seeing the crest of the tide now and the wave of sexual misconduct accusations will recede.

On the contrary, I think we might have been in the eye of the storm for awhile, which means coming up next is:

Palm Trees Rain GIF

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
No more so than the part you played in institutionally making the current Cmdt 2CFFTS’ career development more difficult because of your and other males’ invisible biases that you failed to see throughout your own career.
Have I excluded the Fighter Force in that introspection? Unless you believe that no one within the Fighter Force is in a position of authority. It is time for all to think about how to do better individually and as an institution. We can’t erase the past but we can (and better) learn from it.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
What I hope is that we are seeing the ‘catching up’. Victims coming out of the woodwork now that the environment is permissive and at least a bit more supportive. Going forward I hope that such things are dealt with in something closer to real time. Curb the behaviour as it happens, or as close to it as possible. Identify, investigate, and where appropriate charge/otherwise handle cases in a timely manner so that we DON’T have cases coming out of the woodwork from a decade ago and causing institutional tumult.

Canadians demand and deserve a CAF that reflects our values. Utter intolerance of sexual aggression and predation has to be high on that list. What is happening is that impunity is going away. It’s no longer going to be an easy ‘get away with it’ thing.

CAF needs to hammer this transition home quickly, because Canadians ALSO need and deserve a professional military that can kill people and break their shit in the defence of the national interest under the lawful direction of the civil authority. I would be amazed if CAF’s ability to credibly and sustainably deploy troops and use force were not to some extent compromised by everything that’s happening, most visibly but not exclusively in its senior executives.

There needs to be a purge. Not one of people, but one of attitudes and behaviours. Yes, this will be incompatible with some individuals continuing to serve, but it is what it is. The new normal needs to be established so that the institution can regain its focus on controlled and disciplined violence.

Last edited:

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Have I excluded the Fighter Force in that introspection? Unless you believe that no one within the Fighter Force is in a position of authority. It is time for all to think about how to do better individually and as an institution. We can’t erase the past but we can (and better) learn from it.
Perhaps you could have acknowledged your own biases at the same time you were taking Weimar to task for his. Leadership should be proactive on the issue, not reactionary.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I remember when we tackled this stuff back in the 90’s. SHARP and diversity training. X’s and O’s.

Then throughout the 2000s.

now heading into 2021 we seem to have the same issues. This seems to be more than just a few bad apples.

so many bad apples that have made it to the top. Seems to me the system may have had a hand in getting them there and getting away with it for so long. But who knows.

But it seems we have more people coming forward and more bad apples being removed.

Maybe it’s because we have new generation of soldiers that joined post 2000 that are tired of putting up with this kind of thing.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
Except I never said I didn’t have biases (in fact, I think I have been explicit that we all have to do better; that includes myself).

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Except I never said I didn’t have biases (in fact, I think I have been explicit that we all have to do better; that includes myself).
There’s a difference these days between not saying you don’t, and affirmatively saying you do. I have them, and I’ve said it before. Old Soldier said he has them and we need to be better. You were quick to throw shade on Weinie, but there wasn’t a concurrent self-admission. Every element of the CAF could do better. Heck, maybe some day, the fighter force will even have a woman commanding officer at a line squadron like all the other RCAF communities have had?

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
There’s a difference these days between not saying you don’t, and affirmatively saying you do. I have them, and I’ve said it before. Old Soldier said he has them and we need to be better. You were quick to throw shade on Weinie, but there wasn’t a concurrent self-admission. Every element of the CAF could do better. Heck, maybe some day, the fighter force will even have a woman commanding officer at a line squadron like all the other RCAF communities have had?
Sure. Saying we all have biases is not enough for you. You can keep picking on me, that’s okay... Whatever I say, you’ll find ways to criticize.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
now heading into 2021 we seem to have the same issues. This seems to be more than just a few bad apples.

Because there's a lag. The CAF were delivering CYA sessions well before I encountered them elsewhere, so widespread change (ie. the socially-evolving kind) started later than most people recall and consequently there is still a generation (plus) serving that has habits that can not be unlearned. And I'm not convinced that "change" has really reached down as far and as fast, or that "change" competes as effectively against biology, as some people believe. Real evolution takes time. Meanwhile, the aforementioned CYA didn't do a very good job of coming across as anything more than CYA, hence the lack of enforcement.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
History like this isn't taught in any school that I know of. The Holocaust is glossed over, as is the behavior of the Nazis and the Japanese in World War Two
I think they taught us about the Holocaust in school, if I recall correctly.

At what age would you say showing film and photos of it is appropriate for children?

The school was taking us kids to see "Sound of Music" back then at the show. That's all we knew about the war.

As far as U.S. Senator McCarthy was concerned, we studied Canadian and local history.

trigger324

Reaction score
You're being compared to the Red-hunters, not the Reds. I mourn for your comprehension.
Personally, I mourn for the complacency of attitudes towards the CAF ridding itself of this sexual misconduct scandal that is exhibited by a few people in this thread.

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
I remember when we tackled this stuff back in the 90’s. SHARP and diversity training. X’s and O’s.

Then throughout the 2000s.

so many bad apples that have made it to the top. Seems to me the system may have had a hand in getting them there and getting away with it for so long. But who knows.

But it seems we have more people coming forward and more bad apples being removed.

Maybe it’s because we have new generation of soldiers that joined post 2000 that are tired of putting up with this kind of thing.
Maybe it is because all these bulls hit training sessions don't fix the problem. The problem is simple. As much as I hate to give the RCR credit for anything, "Never pass a fault" is a good motto to live by. It normally is used to Jack someone up for having a strap unrolled but it's the harder issues that are passed by.

There is a big difference between that and a witch hunt like trigger364 is calling for. If someone is handsy at a mess party, he should be removed and read the riot act the next morning with his heels together. If he has a habit of doing that maybe counseling and probation is more appropriate. We don't however go looking for anyone who may, or may not, have been handsy in the past. You young'uns may not believe it but the 80s and 90s were different. We didn't find sexual partners with our thumbs. Most women didn't tell you what they wanted you went by trial and error. Like any experiment, sometimes it worked and sometimes it blew up in your face. You learned and didn't do it again.

Edit: you young'uns wasn't directed at you.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
You young'uns may not believe it but the 80s and 90s were different.
Glad I came of age in the 1970's aka "The Decade of Decadence."

Before AIDS took a lot of the fun out of it.