• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Intelligence personnel are often targets of foreign agents - could the Int School CO have been compromised?
It's also possible if you pull a few threads in this story there's sexual misconduct involved down the line, just that the specific issue that caused this wasn't directly sexual misconduct.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Looking at the state of things sometimes I wonder if we'd even really need to be a target of foreign espionage services to disrupt our plans and activities, or if they'll just let us keep on our own path and watch us do their work ourselves...?

I'm sure that the oft told tales of the 'honey trap' do exist in the real world, however, the reality of most of the allegations we've seen seems to involve senior personnel abusing their power over junior personnel, and then having other, similarly powerful people protect them from the consequences.

For this to involve foreign intelligence services, they'd REALLY be playing the long game - getting someone in uniform, into a position where they are subjected to (or available to be?) sexual abuse/mistreatment/assault, then wait a few years to bring it to the light of the media...? That beggars belief that any foreign intelligence service would be able to do something like that.

I mean, I am not read in on details on any of these situations, but it does not seem to be a foreign power...it seems to be small heads thinking for big heads.
On the one hand, you wouldn’t really need to start from Square 1. Hypothetically. Recruiting a member that is in, having that member make a complaint and go public with even small bits & pieces to support the complaint - the media and department do the rest.

HOWEVER...

I do believe this is a case of small heads doing the thinking, combined with the confidence that comes from a position of power & a social circle with similar powers.

Kilted

Reaction score
I'm not following the mention of foreign agents...

Is the suggestion that some of these complaints are false, and from foreign agents, to cause investigations into the top brass & reorganizations of the top brass -- and then exploit that situation somehow?

Or...??
No, I wasn't suggesting that. I was more suggesting that they may try and capitalize on the negative media. Maybe try something similar to what we have seen in Latvia. I don't know how many false statements with regards to sexual harassments/assaults' are made, investigated and dismissed that never see the light of day, but it does make me wonder how much damage a few specifically placed complaints against GO/FO could do, even if they were out of their position for only a few days. There seems to be a policy of placing any GO/FO on leave for any complaint (as far as we know) recently.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Oh Wayne. Isn’t this a great reward for being a good guy? 🤣 Look at all the perks of the job you’re getting!

in all seriousness though - this one is kind of tricky. Crap investigation or not, if he wasn’t convicted or even formally charged - and the issue was from 20 years ago - it’s hard to hold that against him forever.

Not saying anything about the issue either way. But it is potentially a tricky one. Technically it can’t really be used against him when they were selecting for the position, could it?

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Theoretically could an NCM be chosen as CDS and immediately promoted to the required rank ?

I understand the requirements for promotions ect ect, but could Government use their discretion and go their own way, military policy be damned ?

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Theoretically could an NCM be chosen as CDS and immediately promoted to the required rank ?

I understand the requirements for promotions ect ect, but could Government use their discretion and go their own way, military policy be damned ?

No. It's not military policy, but civilian law.

Appointment, rank and duties of Chief of Defence Staff

18 (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer to be the Chief of the Defence Staff, who shall hold such rank as the Governor in Council may prescribe and who shall, subject to the regulations and under the direction of the Minister, be charged with the control and administration of the Canadian Forces.

In the same law
officer means
(a) a person who holds Her Majesty’s commission in the Canadian Forces,
(b) a person who holds the rank of officer cadet in the Canadian Forces, and
(c) any person who pursuant to law is attached or seconded as an officer to the Canadian Forces;

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score

Rocking John Goodman GIF by MANGOTEETH
Which reminds me of a movie :)

coolintheshade

Reaction score
As the saying goes...where there's smoke, there's fiyah.

"Telford was asked roughly 10 times by Conservative members of the committee to clarify why Trudeau appears not to have been informed about the allegation. He has said he was not “personally aware” of the allegation in 2018 and that while his office knew of an allegation, they did not know the details.

She responded to those questions by saying only that her office was contacted by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan’s office asking for advice on how to handle an allegation.

“All we knew was that the ombudsperson at the end of the meeting pulled the minister aside and suggested he had a complaint and an envelope as I understand it,” she said.

Telford later noted when pressed once more that “the answer is that there wasn’t an allegation in terms of something – we didn’t know the nature of the allegation."

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score

I'm glad this has degenerated into the usual round of 'he said, she said', because it's easier to categorize if nothing else :)

“As you have already heard, I was not given the substance or the details of the allegation, and as you have already heard my office and the minister were not given the substance or the details of the allegation. We did not know what the complaint was about,” she said.

This contradicts Walbourne’s previous testimony and subsequent statements that he did in fact inform Sajjan it was a complaint of “inappropriate sexual behaviour” against the chief of defence.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm glad this has degenerated into the usual round of 'he said, she said', because it's easier to categorize if nothing else :)

“As you have already heard, I was not given the substance or the details of the allegation, and as you have already heard my office and the minister were not given the substance or the details of the allegation. We did not know what the complaint was about,” she said.

This contradicts Walbourne’s previous testimony and subsequent statements that he did in fact inform Sajjan it was a complaint of “inappropriate sexual behaviour” against the chief of defence.

This is a gong-show.

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Two Liberal members of the committee have now gone to the Harper well. Yes, the former government appointed Vance, but the Liberals extended him and gave him a raise! Hmmm