• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Majority of Canadians not confident military can improve workplace culture: Nanos survey

Ben Cousins
CTVNews.ca Writer
Published Friday, April 2, 2021 10:04PM EDT

TORONTO -- A new survey suggests Canadians aren't very confident in the Canadian military's ability to change its workplace culture following reports of sexual misconduct and discrimination within the forces.

According to the latest survey from Nanos Research, just 13 per cent of Canadians are confident the Canadian Armed Forces can “change its workplace to be welcoming to everyone,” while 29 per cent are “somewhat confident” and 56 per cent are either not confident or somewhat not confident.

Additionally, 61.3 per cent of women involved in the survey were either not confident or somewhat not confident in the military’s ability to change its culture.

Canadians are also not very impressed with the Canadian government’s investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct and discrimination in the military, with 54 per cent of respondents indicating their perception of the investigations is either poor or very poor, while just one per cent of Canadians indicated they thought the government’s investigation had been “very good.”

Read the full article at

----------------------

My granddaughter asked me about the forces, wondering if she could join. In the past, I encouraged ppl to join up and learn a trade or make a career but told her now is not a good time. She seemed disappointed. I would love to see her join up but have doubts - ref above article
I am torn, like you. My spouse has never experienced incidents like we have seen lately, yet people I know, and trust, have recounted horrific encounters and incidents. I have often said that if I were to magically wake up tomorrow at 18 years old, I would run to the recruiting centre to sign up again. But I have also never seen the level of harassment and misogynism that has been reported on.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I am torn, like you. My spouse has never experienced incidents like we have seen lately, yet people I know, and trust, have recounted horrific encounters and incidents. I have often said that if I were to magically wake up tomorrow at 18 years old, I would run to the recruiting centre to sign up again. But I have also never seen the level of harassment and misogynism that has been reported on.

You mean like the senior officer who said words to the effect of 'as long as I'm CO we'll never have a female officer in this unit'?

Definitely an outlier, of course, but it still exists, in the military and elsewhere.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
You mean like the senior officer who said words to the effect of 'as long as I'm CO we'll never have a female officer in this unit'?

Definitely an outlier, of course, but it still exists, in the military and elsewhere.
Two of the best bosses I have ever worked for, and truly outstanding Officers, were female. A number of my female peers, over the course of my career, I would trust with my life. I have had a hockey sock of female subordinates, they were, on spec, every bit as competent as their male contemporaries, and were treated as such.

Perhaps I have just been an "outlier" myself, and have not been exposed, but I would think that a systemic problem would have manifested itself to me before this. Started out in the ranks as a Rad Tech, was a Log O, and then PA for the last 25 years. I am not willfully blind, but not willfully oblivious either. But I am deeply troubled by this continued series of revelations.

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The CAF GOFOs currently remind me of The Fonz from the TV show Happy Days. Not for their penchant for motorcycles, or for the RCAF's god-awful leather jackets. But because, like the Fonz, they appear unable to utter the words "I was wrong."

"Seek and accept responsibility" has been sadly lacking to date; when you double down and claim that proposing a trip to a clothing optional resort with someone extremely junior to you wasn't inappropriate you have failed that PO check.

And when those in charge of a profession are not leading it, someone else will step in to take over the regulation of the profession.

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
RCAF's god-awful leather jackets
I've said this before, but the RCAF could have just copied the USAF or USN's jackets (with precedent since the old RCN aviator jackets were the same).

But no, whoever designed them purposely made them fugly.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The CAF GOFOs currently remind me of The Fonz from the TV show Happy Days. Not for their penchant for motorcycles, or for the RCAF's god-awful leather jackets. But because, like the Fonz, they appear unable to utter the words "I was wrong."

"Seek and accept responsibility" has been sadly lacking to date; when you double down and claim that proposing a trip to a clothing optional resort with someone extremely junior to you wasn't inappropriate you have failed that PO check.

And when those in charge of a profession are not leading it, someone else will step in to take over the regulation of the profession.
It happened with the RCMP. The GoC at the time had no confidence in any uniformed senior RCMP officer at the time. The commissioner was a civilian for a while.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Has the Honourable Justin Trudeau dressed up as a Canadian Forces member yet? Maybe he can dress up in a set of DEUs and give the CAF some lessons in ethics, toxic work places, and keeping ones hands to themselves.

Last edited:

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Has the Honourable Justin Trudeau dressed up as a Canadian Forces member yet? Maybe he can dress up in a set of DEUs and give the CAF some lessons in ethics, toxic work places, and keeping ones hands to themselves.
That's Right Honourable, young fella. Leading by bad example?

shawn5o

Reaction score
Survey says....

Majority of Canadians not confident military can improve workplace culture: Nanos survey​

A new survey suggests Canadians aren't very confident in the Canadian military's ability to change its workplace culture following reports of sexual misconduct and discrimination within the forces.

According to the latest survey from Nanos Research, just 13 per cent of Canadians are confident the Canadian Armed Forces can “change its workplace to be welcoming to everyone,” while 29 per cent are “somewhat confident” and 56 per cent are either not confident or somewhat not confident.

Additionally, 61.3 per cent of women involved in the survey were either not confident or somewhat not confident in the military’s ability to change its culture.

Canadians are also not very impressed with the Canadian government’s investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct and discrimination in the military, with 54 per cent of respondents indicating their perception of the investigations is either poor or very poor, while just one per cent of Canadians indicated they thought the government’s investigation had been “very good.”

Capital Dispatch: Stay up to date on the latest news from Parliament Hill

This comes a week after Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre, acting chief of the defence staff, promised to create a safer environment within the military following allegations of sexual misconduct.

"We have to learn why previous approaches did not work and learn from that and incorporate those into our plan going forward," Eyre said during testimony before the House of Commons Status of Women Committee on March 23.

Former chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance began the current program -- Operation Honour -- in 2015. Vance is under investigation for allegations of sexual misconduct that CTV News has not independently verified.

Hi daftandbarmy

I apologize for repeating your post - I should have checked.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
It happened with the RCMP. The GoC at the time had no confidence in any uniformed senior RCMP officer at the time. The commissioner was a civilian for a while.
Bill Elliott, in the wake of Zaccardelli, who was a goddamned disaster. The appointment of a civilian commissioner went over about as well as a loud dart in church.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Bill Elliott, in the wake of Zaccardelli, who was a goddamned disaster. The appointment of a civilian commissioner went over about as well as a loud dart in church.
Now crazy thought but we need someone at the top not afraid of change and will, able and wanting to make changes. Now some will burn me for this but why not pull Andrew Leslie back in as CDS?

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Now crazy thought but we need someone at the top not afraid of change and will, able and wanting to make changes. Now some will burn me for this but why not pull Andrew Leslie back in as CDS?
You're four days late with that idea. And do you really want a former Liberal politician as CDS?

Last edited:

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I served with/for LGen Leslie in a number of capacities. He is one of the brightest people that I have ever met, but his report/mantra was about organizational changes. I think we need some cultural changes first.

Maxadia

Reaction score
I had one soldier that was literally a "loyal dog", not a bright dog, but if I gave him a task that was within his competence, it would get done and he would work late to help me as I treated him with respect. There are a lot of unglamorous tasks in the military and sometimes you need people who don't feel they are special and just want to be given a fair shake. You don't want an army that they are the majority, but you also don't want an army without them.

I want to speak to this specific post. I have several "loyal dogs" who are more than comfortable doing the unglamorous tasks in the army, and it has nothing to do with competence. Several members of our fine army are highly educated, further schooling or trades school, and simply wish to be "just a soldier" when they come in and work for the PRes. They deal with subordinates and managing on a daily basis, and the army allows them a way to de-stress from their regular grind - but mark my words, they perform and perform to the highest standard that I could hope to have from them. Not only would I not want an army without them, but I do wish for more of them.

Colin - absolutely nothing against your post, just something to add.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I recall articles in newspapers etc to the effect that the sworn members were not happy with this move but it did send a message - how well it was received is anybody’s guess. Point is, what if the GoC decides to appoint a bureaucrat to oversee the CAF? Can they legally do that, not that little terms like “legal” stop this GoC from doing what it wants.

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
On the topic of having civilians take over the DND (I thought they had already?), I had mulled this idea over before but never posted about it, likely cause honestly I'm pretty much done thinking about the CAF and it's problems, I have few working brain cells left and need to hold onto them.

But, one of the reasons a corporation has a Board of Directors is to think about vision, the strategy, culture, etc. The CEO implements the Board's direction and runs the corporation on a full-time basis, dealing with present day issues, etc., but the Board does the job of thinking bigger and better. The size of the board varies but 7 to 15 members is pretty common. The board also holds the C-suite executives accountable.

I think the CAF could benefit from implementing such an idea. Being on a board is generally not a full-time job, and you can be member of a board for a long period of time (something that the CAF suffers from is the "only 2 years in any position" and so you've got no ability to implement any substantial changes in such a short amount of time).

It also allows you bring in outside perspectives and expertise. So for example, a board for the CAF could have members from the private sector on it, and benefit from that perspective and expertise, but also have uniformed members who of course, bring the perspective of the CAF and what it means to serve with unlimited liability, etc., stuff that the private sector CEO isn't going to understand.

The board also does things like develops performance measures which align with the vision and strategy, and help steer the C-suite executives, another thing we sorely lack.

We could have a board that is half-serving members, and half-civilian. The serving members half would obviously have representation from the different elements, and even different ranks (again, something we sorely lack... does anybody really think the CAF CWO has a f**king clue what it's like to be a Corporal in today's CAF?).

This may be worth a thread split... or not since it's a just a fantasy, but thought experiments can be fun.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I want to speak to this specific post. I have several "loyal dogs" who are more than comfortable doing the unglamorous tasks in the army, and it has nothing to do with competence. Several members of our fine army are highly educated, further schooling or trades school, and simply wish to be "just a soldier" when they come in and work for the PRes. They deal with subordinates and managing on a daily basis, and the army allows them a way to de-stress from their regular grind - but mark my words, they perform and perform to the highest standard that I could hope to have from them. Not only would I not want an army without them, but I do wish for more of them.

Colin - absolutely nothing against your post, just something to add.
I hear you, my driver/2IC ran a 25 man BC Hydro lineman team as I recall, he was a Bombardier for life, he claimed he could not get the time off to take courses, but I think he was just in his "Happy Place" and I was blessed to have him and the other guy.