• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
huh. I think from reading your posts that you might be a leader as well. What "senior leadership"? And based on what?
I was referring to senior as in Col/GOFOs (the definition typically used), not the one grouping the ranks of Maj/LCdr to Col/Capt(N). But I believe the sentiment, at lower levels, may extend down to those ranks as well. Whether it includes my rank level or not is irrelevant: we need to do better as an institution (at all levels).

Mills Bomb

Reaction score
I think it's natural all ranks are losing faith, because when the issue is at the very top there's no escaping its effects on everyone. If the MND has lied to us, multiple times over multiple years starting with the "architect of Op Medusa", what's left to trust? It's not the average young professional soldiers who do their best that caused this, but the leadership that is literally openly failing them in front of the entire country and still sticking around after all this.

At this point, we've all heard the stories about the public believing the acts of those senior ranks somehow reflect young soldiers as well.

It's like the tac-vest fiasco, after 12+ years of telling the troops "a replacement is on the way" who actually still trusts decent kit will be procured anymore? Whenever we hear about replacement kit, I think most just assume it's just blatant lies or that general incompetence will just screw it up. The seldom time something actually ever shows up the "latest and greatest" boots or whatever else it is just falls apart because they are poorly designed and poorly manufactured. No combat arms soldier I've ever met in the CAF has ever said anything good about our procurement system in the 12+ years I served, and I seriously doubt anyone involved has ever been held accountable for those procurement failures. This problem is not going away either unless we get a new government committed to changing how we procure kit.

Unless there's NEW people more in touch with the junior ranks at the very top and we start from scratch Op Honour and sexual misconduct (Including turning a blind eye) will likely be in the same untrusted category as procurement. Our co-workers and new recruits deserve better and I can only hope those serving in the CAF during these times will remember them in hopes we get lucky and one of us or someone (anyone) ends up a in position where they can actually do something to modernize the CAF and develop a true outside de-politicized third party organization to look into ALL serious sexual misconduct allegations when they are brought forward.

Until then, I think we should just tell people the truth about what the state of the CAF is in regards to sexual misconduct and other shortfalls and let members and prospective members decide for themselves if it's still worth it and if the good outweighs the bad. If there's one thing that is completely clear here, lying and covering up the truth is not the solution and causes more damage, truth and transparency at all ranks is the only way that we can rebuild trust. My advice to any senior leadership if I could give it to them would be along the same lines; just try your best to fight to improve things for your employees and instead of just telling everyone "stay positive, and carry on!" show them how you're doing your job and actively fighting to improve things for them and tell them the truth about tough issues and give them reasonable and honest expectations of when / if the issues being discussed might be resolved. Even if it's not always what they want to hear, at least they will trust you and together move forward with improving things as a team. If you can't do that, it may be best to step aside and let someone who is an honest and a strong fighter for real improvement take over these very important senior positions.

Last edited:

trigger324

Reaction score
I don’t know, I think right now it’s much more important to be concerned about what the public thinks than what members think. The members will continue to stick together, the public is who supports(or doesn’t) them.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think it really weighs heavily on most people. Right now people are worried about the pandemic, how they are going to pay the bills, how to keep your kids and self sane. People are near the bottom bit of Maslow's hierarchy of needs as far as the public is concerned. Diddling officers is not a key issue.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know, I think right now it’s much more important to be concerned about what the public thinks than what members think. The members will continue to stick together, the public is who supports(or doesn’t) them.
Speak for yourself.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think it really weighs heavily on most people. Right now people are worried about the pandemic, how they are going to pay the bills, how to keep your kids and self sane. People are near the bottom bit of Maslow's hierarchy of needs as far as the public is concerned. Diddling officers is not a key issue.
Agreed but one wonders what it will do to the military in the long run.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Nah, probably a lot more than myself.
I'm not sure what the split is then, because a lot of people I talk to do not have a great view on the senior leadership forcing operation honor down our throats while engaging in what is coming to light.

trigger324

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the split is then, because a lot of people I talk to do not have a great view on the senior leadership forcing operation honor down our throats while engaging in what is coming to light.
What I’m saying is that the CAF in general should be very concerned about what the public feels about the organization as a whole right now, despite its Sr personnel only who are being busted.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
What I’m saying is that the CAF in general should be very concerned about what the public feels about the organization as a whole right now, despite its Sr personnel only who are being busted.
Rest assured that some mid level ones will be investigated as well.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Funny the exact same thing happened in the Public Service under Chreatin as his government pushed "Ethics and Values" onto the Public Service just as Adscam and the brown envelopes full of money hit the press.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Funny the exact same thing happened in the Public Service under Chreatin as his government pushed "Ethics and Values" onto the Public Service just as Adscam and the brown envelopes full of money hit the press.
I can imagine.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Op Honour has been terminated. If you are aware of sexual misconduct allegations that have not been reported, it is your duty to report them. If you and your peers are currently awaiting direction/guidance.........welcome to the club.

Op Honour, and it's aims, are not the problem.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
It's not just a few bad apples. The military is full of these assholes. Whether it's sexual assault, sexual misconduct, bullying, harassment or just being a shitty person.

I've sat in on a handful of meetings where leaders talk about what we can do to regain the trust of the troops. And I know it's happening elsewhere too.

Honestly, next to nothing. And it makes me question peoples situational awareness to think there's a quick fix here.

Training isn't going to fix this, chitchats pushed down to platoon level won't fix this, ethics courses on GCcampus won't fix this. Let-me-be-clear emails won't work.

The only way the CAF will start to regain trust in the leadership at this point is by hammering the guilty parties. Charges, fines, reduction in rank, jail time, whatever. Short of that it will look like business as usual.

Last edited: