• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
In other news, there's an Honorary Colonel / Colonel of the Regiment credibly accused of pedophilia and sexual assault, yet no action has been taken to dismiss him...

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Sometime between Jan 1 and April 30th 1988? Prosecution is going to have an uphill battle with that big of a window.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Sometime between Jan 1 and April 30th 1988? Prosecution is going to have an uphill battle with that big of a window.

Those are dates as reported by the defence, in advance of the charges being formally laid. Presumably the prosecution will be somewhat more precise.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Those are dates as reported by the defence, in advance of the charges being formally laid. Presumably the prosecution will be somewhat more precise.
My guess is that the defence would report nothing more than what the prosecution has told them to date.

🍻

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

Lawyer questions timing of charge against Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin​

Come on, the LPC wouldn't politically interfere in something twice in a row.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score

Lawyer questions timing of charge against Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin​

Come on, the LPC wouldn't politically interfere in something twice in a row.
I don’t know how much influence the LPC has on the provincial prosecutor in Quebec…

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Which makes the accusation they'd do it twice in a row all the more ridiculous :)

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Politics makes strange bedfellows or MAYBE my tin foil hat is screwed on too tightly.....
No, it fits just right….never underestimate motivation when the Venn diagrams for two different group’s “Win” circle have enough overlap.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Where a red crayon touches a blue crayon and makes a purple smudge. LPC = red crayon. QC prosecutors = blue crayon. Purple smudge is them jointly going after Mgen Fortin.

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
When did Vance actually formally release from CAF? Was he still enrolled in early February?

I don’t believe a charge has even been laid. From when a charge is laid in a routine criminal matter, expect it to be over a year before going to trial. That would not be a consideration in electoral timing in this case.
But then again there is always the possibility of answering a reporter's question.
and 33 years to boot. How is your memory for what happened 33 years ago? I can't see any possibility of there existing any credible evidence. But what possible motive could there be for it happening now?

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
But then again there is always the possibility of answering a reporter's question.

and 33 years to boot. How is your memory for what happened 33 years ago? I can't see any possibility of there existing any credible evidence. But what possible motive could there be for it happening now?
I can’t and won’t speculate on the specific case. I will say that cases coming out of the woodwork like this are rare but not unheard of. There could be contemporaneous diary entries, a victim may have told a close friend or confidant who is still around to corroborate... there are many variables. For crown to approve charges means they believe there is a “reasonable prospect of conviction”. They will not lay charges lightly in an historical investigation such as this one.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I can’t and won’t speculate on the specific case. I will say that cases coming out of the woodwork like this are rare but not unheard of. There could be contemporaneous diary entries, a victim may have told a close friend or confidant who is still around to corroborate... there are many variables. For crown to approve charges means they believe there is a “reasonable prospect of conviction”. They will not lay charges lightly in an historical investigation such as this one.
Is the Crown charging him, or the Fleur de Lis?

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
Is the Crown charging him, or the Fleur de Lis?
Not sure of your distinction, but he was charged in Gatineau. This is being handled civvy side, in Quebec by the province, implying (to me, anyway) either there is no military nexus or that the law was such in 1988 that you have to roll things back to who had jurisdiction then.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
It would be provincial crown who laid the charges. For normal criminal stuff, provincial crown handle it everywhere except the territories.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure of your distinction, but he was charged in Gatineau. This is being handled civvy side, in Quebec by the province, implying (to me, anyway) either there is no military nexus or that the law was such in 1988 that you have to roll things back to who had jurisdiction then.
Was wondering more if it’s actually called ‘The Crown’ in Quebec?

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Defense will likely argue something over the fact Fortin has been getting more information from the media then he has the prosecution