• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Misconduct Allegations in The CAF

coolintheshade

Reaction score
So, two soldiers get into a fight. Discipline or Crime?

Theft from the QM. Discipline or Crime?

Falsifying a claim. Discipline or Crime?

Point being: Who decides where discipline ends and crime begins. The CO of a unit? A random MP Cpl?

BTW, if somebody gets sent downtown to see the provincial judge, guess who pays for the lawyer (hint- not the CAF). So be careful what you wish for.
Theft from the QM - resolve at the lowest level e.g. confine to barracks / extra duties.

Humphrey Bogart

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
One of his miracle babies was charged with possession of marijuana - JT went on about this at length - and daddy PET made the charges go away. SO there we have obstruction of justice to add to it. FJAG may need to weigh in on this particular circumstance.

Anyways I've steered this conversation off its original intent. My apologies for the Trudeau rant but honestly I dislike this family.
I genuinely don't understand how any average Canadian could find PET appealing? He opted out of the seminal event of the 20th century, spent his entire early life living off the money his Father had given him and didn't actually hold a real job until he entered politics.

He literally represents everything Canadians seemingly lament about, yet the people of his time loved him.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I genuinely don't understand how any average Canadian could find PET appealing? He opted out of the seminal event of the 20th century, spent his entire early life living off the money his Father had given him and didn't actually hold a real job until he entered politics.

He literally represents everything Canadians seemingly lament about, yet the people of his time loved him.
Trudeaumania in 1967 was rampant even in Saskatchewan. After he took the reigns we (I was 11) in the west discovered he really didn’t give a shit about us. He lusted for Alberta oil and catered to everyone east of Toronto.
I have nothing- nothing - good to say about him or his empty headed offspring.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

I actually voted for the guy in 1968 (my very first election ever). This sets some of the mood at the time.

Trudeau soon called an election, for June 25. His election campaign benefited from an unprecedented wave of personal popularity called "Trudeaumania",[1][56][57] which saw Trudeau mobbed by throngs of youths. Trudeau's main national opponents were PC leader Robert Stanfield and NDP leader Tommy Douglas, both popular figures who had been Premiers, respectively, of Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan (albeit in Trudeau's native Quebec, the main competition to the Liberals was from the Ralliement créditiste, led by Réal Caouette). As a candidate Trudeau espoused participatory democracy as a means of making Canada a "Just Society". He defended vigorously the newly implemented universal health care and regional development programmes, as well as the recent reforms found in the Omnibus bill.

On the eve of the election, during the annual Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day parade in Montreal, rioting Quebec sovereignists threw rocks and bottles at the grandstand where Trudeau was seated, chanting "Trudeau au poteau!" (Trudeau – to the stake!). Rejecting the pleas of his aides that he take cover, Trudeau stayed in his seat, facing the rioters, without any sign of fear. The image of the defiant Prime Minister impressed the public, and he handily won the 1968 election the next day.[58][59]

Actually it wasn't a "without a sign of fear" it was a showed open contempt and defiance to the protestors which again went a long way to showing the nation that he had a spine. Statements like:
especially endeared him to the young hippieish youth of the day. His Second World War views and generally non-militaristic positions did not do him any harm in Quebec and barely made a splash elsewhere at the time which was already well into the anti-Vietnam War movement.

The "just watch me" and "bleeding hearts" comments during the Octoberfest did win him some brownie points with the military for the short term but by the time of the next election in 1972 we'd almost unanimously turned against him (together with a large part of the country). Haven't voted Liberal since 1968.

🍻

Humphrey Bogart

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Trudeaumania in 1967 was rampant even in Saskatchewan. After he took the reigns we (I was 11) in the west discovered he really didn’t give a shit about us. He lusted for Alberta oil and catered to everyone east of Toronto.
I have nothing- nothing - good to say about him or his empty headed offspring.
I just find it ironic that the average Canadian, who seem to genuinely hate wealthy people and wants to tax them endlessly and see them fail, would vote for a Champagne Elitist like PET who spent the vast majority of his early life simply screwing around and going on backpacking trips to "discover himself". He willingly chose to exempt himself from a seminal moment of this Nation when we needed men like him the most. Yet many people adored him?

I have relatives and people that are my Parents age who are still absolutely infatuated with the Trudeau family, like they are Canada's very own version of the Kennedy's. They have done nothing to merit any sort of comparison like that.

Perhaps he was merely a reflection of what the average person wanted at the time just like our current PM is a reflection of what some want now?

It just goes to show that politics in Canada is all flash, no substance.

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I just find it ironic that the average Canadian, who seem to genuinely hate wealthy people and wants to tax them endlessly and see them fail, would vote for a Champagne Elitist like PET who spent the vast majority of his early life simply screwing around and going on backpacking trips to "discover himself". He willingly chose to exempt himself from a seminal moment of this Nation when we needed men like him the most. Yet many people adored him?

I have relatives and people that are my Parents age who are still absolutely infatuated with the Trudeau family, like they are Canada's very own version of the Kennedy's. They have done nothing to merit any sort of comparison like that.

Perhaps he was merely a reflection of what the average person wanted at the time just like our current PM is a reflection of what some want now?

It just goes to show that politics in Canada is all flash, no substance.
This infatuation with the Trudeaus is just one aspect of our love/hate relationship with the USA. There is a large segment of our population who lust for the celebrity and panache of the American political/entertainment machine and when Trudeaus 1 and 2 popped onto the scene those Canadians would sell their mothers souls to see those 2 in high office. I always cringe when I hear the refrain "Its Canada's version of (insert US celebrity)" because heaven forbid we stand on our own two feet and celebrate our people and our institutions and our way of conducting ourselves instead of always looking over the fence and pining to become just like the neighbours. I find this attitude especially prevalent in the lower mainland of BC and of course in Toronto. Our national media does nothing to stem the tide of this desire with CBC and CTV being especially overt in their bootlicking of everything US celebrity/political.

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
... Media reports last year say McCullough was given a 15-day suspension in 2018 following an external investigation that found he failed to disclose a relationship with Const. Nicole Chan, and entered into the relationship despite knowing she was in a vulnerable state.

The 2018-19 OPCC annual report does not name McCullough, but did call for a five-day suspension for a police officer who "was in a personal, intimate relationship with a police officer who was under his direct supervision" and "failed to disclose this relationship with his supervisor."

The OPCC also called for 10-day suspension for the same officer for having "entered into the relationship with another police officer with the knowledge that the police officer was in a vulnerable state, mentally and emotionally."

(...)

McCullough said ... "I do not dispute the (OPCC's) finding, it is a matter of record." ...
More on just how vulnerable this officer was - and what happened to another officer of lower rank in the same situation .

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Really? At Air Canada, for example, if you get caught stealing from the company you’re fired, regardless of how small the theft is. CB for theft seems pretty weak to me. What if they’re selling it downtown?
Depends on the item I guess, batteries or other small items like that? CB or a fine, anything major then yeah sure release, situation will dictate

coolintheshade

Reaction score
Depends on the item I guess, batteries or other small items like that? CB or a fine, anything major then yeah sure release, situation will dictate
Exactly...you beat me to the response...Sir! The poster said 'theft', and while theft is frowned upon in every country, stealing a Yorkie bar ' chewing gum, isn't the same as say dipping hands in the till and helping yourself to some $$$$

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
If we fired everyone that took batteries from a QM, we’d have no one staffing QMs.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score

Corporal Pedro Collier was kicked out of JTF2, about this time last year, for stealing stuff and selling it on eBay. He referred to a 'culture of stealing' apparently prevalent in the unit.

I'd say the 'broken window' theory might apply in this case.

QV

Reaction score
But what if the alleged criminal offence occurs OUTCAN? I suppose if it occurred 'off property' the matter could be considered a problem for local law enforcement (if there is one), but what if it happens inside the bounds of a military establishment, even temporary? It might be an easier answer if the country we are in is friendly.
It would be this circumstance where S. 130 should be applied, that is to say a Canadian Criminal Code offence be pulled into the Military Justice System. It shouldn't be routinely done in Canada, but definitely utilized OUTCAN.

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
Exactly...you beat me to the response...Sir! The poster said 'theft', and while theft is frowned upon in every country, stealing a Yorkie bar ' chewing gum, isn't the same as say dipping hands in the till and helping yourself to some $$$$
It’s exactly the same, start with a warning that Court Marshall will ensue then follow through, it might discourage the practice . I say the problem is that ‘small’ theft is tolerated in some places. Though this explains why at one unit I was posted to they wouldn’t hand out more than 1 headset battery at a time.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Corporal Pedro Collier was kicked out of JTF2, about this time last year, for stealing stuff and selling it on eBay. He referred to a 'culture of stealing' apparently prevalent in the unit.

I'd say the 'broken window' theory might apply in this case.
Stealing from one part of the army for the benefit of another part was the "reallocation of resources". Stealing from the army to sell or take home was another matter.