• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

sensitive ears and loud noises

lahskule

Inactive
Reaction score
after combing through the literature I received at the recruiting center, I've settled on an occupation: primary reserve infantry solider. However, there's one aspect of concern. In the pamphlet I have here, it says that soldiers are "frequently subjected to loud noises, both in training and on operations."

I've always had sensitive ears (to loud noises like airplanes, gunshots). I don't go to rock concerts and musicals for this reason. At the movies, I need to plug my ears at loud parts in the film (like during the THX opening bit). I know as an infantry soldier I'm going to be exposed to loud noises. As long as I have the advance warning to insert earplugs, I should be ok. But if earplugs aren't allowed, or loud noises happen without warning, I could be quite uncomfortable. Any other sensitive ear infanteers around who might have some input?

Infantry may not be for you. Perhaps you should look in the CS/CSS trades.

The Artillery is looking for recruits..........atleast thats what I thought the guy said...........what?

George Wallace said:
Do you know what the worse Trade in the CF is for Hearing Loss?   -   Cook.

Is this still true? While it may sound like folklore, it was a fact at one time.  I recall reading a study back in the 80s concerning medical categories.  One of the main reasons at that time for higher than normal percentage of hearing loss in cooks was a high percentage of Cooks who had remustered from Cbt Arms.  A contributing factor was poor hearing protection, especially in the 60s and 70s when a lot of the Cooks referred to in that study had served around things that go BANG.

It has nothing to do with Cooks being remusters from the Cbt Arms, but a lot to do with the environment that they work in.  They work in the kitchens where there is a constant amount of noise, most of it coming from the high pressure gas and steam lines.

George Wallace said:
It has nothing to do with Cooks being remusters from the Cbt Arms, but a lot to do with the environment that they work in.  They work in the kitchens where there is a constant amount of noise, most of it coming from the high pressure gas and steam lines.

The reason soldiers respond by saying “SEEN” is because they can’t hear. From an H3, here.

I find it difficult to believe that CF kitchen facilities are so loud that they pose an industrial hazard to hearing and have done so for decades without any action to correct the problem.  But my personal experience with noise while working in kitchens was limited to the sound made while walloping pots for “ 7 days…. not to exceed 4 hours per day”.  As so said the man who got to keep his hat on.  CF kitchens should not be that much different than similar civilian premises, especially since the majority of workers in them are civilians and would be covered under WCB regulations.  While work related hearing loss claims to WCB are significant, in comparison to other occupations, kitchen and food service workers are not at an extraordinary level of exposure to noise hazard.
http://www2.worksafebc.com/pdfs/hearing/Noise_Survey_Project2.pdf
Noise Measurement http://www2.worksafebc.com/pdfs/hearing/sound_advice1.pdf

Perhaps there is a Sanitary Sam (PMED Tech, HYG Tech or whatever they are calling themselves these days) on this means who may have some recent first hand knowledge of this.  I recall our Base PMED in Edmonton doing noise surveys in the kitchens, however that was many years ago and I don’t remember the specific results.

Well the hearing deficit of army cooks et al was mentioned on this means before. http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/1542/post-192263.html#msg192263

Hearing loss in the military (and the study thereof) is common. A few links as example:

"Prevention of noise-induced hearing loss in the Canadian military"
http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/8537985

"Hearing loss in military aviation and other trades: investigation of prevalence and risk factors"
http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16370263

“Hearing endangered among Singapore conscripts”  http://www.hear-it.org/page.dsp?page=565

But hearing loss is not always related to military service or work.  George, (from your profile) we are about the same vintage.  One of my memories of living in the shack in the 70s was the constant “stereo wars” to determine who could get the biggest, loudest system and crank her up.  A similar louder is better philosophy applied to car stereos and bars frequented.  Nowadays, it’s probably the smallest, loudest system with the largest digital capacity and cranked up directly via earphone into their tiny brains.  This may be a contributing factor to hearing loss for some current soldiers regardless of their exposure to sudden loud noises or prolonged travel in metal boxes.  Unfortunately it is impossible to differentiate the cause once the damage is already done.

“Many people suffer from hearing loss before they start working” http://www.hear-it.org/page.dsp?page=453

As this may be straying from the question posed by the OP, my comment/suggestion to him is: Everyday life is loud, Army life is louder.  If your number one concern is to maintain a peaceful, quiet lifestyle, have you considered librarian as an career?  If you still want to soldier, regardless of occupation, be prepared to be exposed to noise.  Can you take precautions against hearing damage? Sure, but sometimes they are inconvenient, inadequate or unavailable, plus sometimes one just gets too damn lazy.

Well I got blown up in Afghanistin back in March. They heard the blast in KC and KAF and they say I still have perfect hearing!  My wife tends to disagree  ;D

You have to plug your ears for the THX sound?!  Because it makes you uncomfortable!  My 6 year old sits through that!  Buddy the military ain't for you.

lahskule said:
after combing through the literature I received at the recruiting center, I've settled on an occupation: primary reserve infantry solider. However, there's one aspect of concern. In the pamphlet I have here, it says that soldiers are "frequently subjected to loud noises, both in training and on operations."

I've always had sensitive ears (to loud noises like airplanes, gunshots). I don't go to rock concerts and musicals for this reason. At the movies, I need to plug my ears at loud parts in the film (like during the THX opening bit). I know as an infantry soldier I'm going to be exposed to loud noises. As long as I have the advance warning to insert earplugs, I should be ok. But if earplugs aren't allowed, or loud noises happen without warning, I could be quite uncomfortable. Any other sensitive ear infanteers around who might have some input?

Eh, whats that you say?  Can you speak up?  :P

Your best protection is to have a copy of your initial hearing tests when you got in and a copy of your hearing tests when you retire....

sensitive ears will be the last of your worries on course, if ever on deployment do you think your going to get sufficient warning something loud is going to happen? it sucks but either your going to have to learn to deal with it or look into a different trade

hearing loss is not the result of the occasional loud noise..... it is from being exposed to a continuous supply of loud noises.

You find loud noises everywhere - that's also one of the reasons we provide plenty of earplugs - use em or loose em (the ears I mean)

Back