• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking advice on Joining the CAF

Monica M

Reaction score
I'm permanent resident in Canada, and I'm interested in joining the Canadian Armed Forces. However, I have a couple of concerns and would appreciate any advice or insights you can offer.

1 . Age : I'm currently 38 years old. Is this too old to start a career in the military? Are there any age-related restrictions or considerations I should be aware of?
2 . Education : I have completed only my High school education in Brazil.
3 . I'm single mom (with co-parenting).

I'm really passionate about serving and would love to hear from anyone that has knowledge about the process.

1. The maximum age to join typically depends on the trade you choose and the contract length offered (determined by trade). The ultimate maximum age would be 57 and infantry as their contract is the shortest length at 3 Years. Be aware that the entire recruiting process, especially for PRs and others with foreign implications, can take 2+ years.

2. High school diploma is acceptable for many jobs in the CAF. You will need to get your transcript "translated" into canadian standards (I think recruiting can explain how to get this done). You could be eligible for ROTP and going to university but due to your current age and the length of obligatory service required with ROTP you may not have time to complete the initial contract.

3. If you join the Reg F you will have to be away from your kids for long periods of time. BMQ is a minimum of 3 months away from home (i know basic is only 9 weeks currently, but injuries happen, especially with those who are not 18, so don't plan on ONLY 9 weeks away.) Trade training doesn't happen right away but you will be employed somehow so you will be away for that. For medic for example, I was gone from home, with random holidays here and there, for almost 3 years. After that 3 year period I finally got to get posted with my family.

Back