• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Searching for my Grandfather who served the second ww!

Sokerminmorfar

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm searching for my grandfather who served the second WW.

All I know about Alexander is that he was stationed in Uetersen or Hamburg, Germany between 1945-46 where he also met my grandmother. They had a breaf relationship. I was told that he was a talented painter and I can proudly say that his gift has been carried over three generations. He was ordered back to Canada and broke the connection with my grandmother. In may 1946 they had a babygirl.

Hopefully someone can help me who I can turn to.
Thank's in advance!

Sokerminmorfar said:
I'm searching for my grandfather who served the second WW.

All I know about Alexander is that he was stationed in Uetersen or Hamburg, Germany between 1945-46 where he also met my grandmother. They had a breaf relationship. I was told that he was a talented painter and I can proudly say that his gift has been carried over three generations. He was ordered back to Canada and broke the connection with my grandmother. In may 1946 they had a babygirl.

Hopefully someone can help me who I can turn to.
Thank's in advance!
Can you provide a last name?  Do you know if he was Army, Navy, Air Force?  That may be of help.

Unforunately I never got to know his last name. My mother was adopted and we recently found her mother but she could'nt remember much. He could have been a War Artist.

Is there any possibility to find ever him without his last name?

Does your grandmother speak English or French or does she remember if your grandfather spoke German?

Acctually, I have no idea.
My grandmother past away a couple years ago and my mother (who was adopted) only spoken to her a few times, her memory was almost gone.

My grandmother (Annemarie), met Alexander at the barracks for soldiers in Uetersen/Schleswig-Holstein (near Hamburg).
He made a portrait of her. When Alex left, his friend took care of her for a while.

Does the painting include a signature of some sort?  That may be one way to track Alexander down - comparing that signature to other war art paintings.

Further research is probably well beyond the abilities of those online, given the paucity of information available.

While it is highly unlikely to be the person sought by the OP, a noted Canadian war artist and one of the most renowned Canadian painters since is commonly known by the short form (nickname) of his second name "Alex".

I'll leave it to whomever is interested to google 'Canadian war artist Alexander'.

Back