• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Search for New Canadian Ranger Rifle (merged)

recceguy said:
I had 180gr Dominion soft points when I did polar bear overwatch in '76, with a C1. I was told that if I had to shoot one, there better be powder burns on the fur. 8)

Looks like the Noggies can arrange that for you as they seem to hand feed them, thus associating people with easy food! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZH0T8v0eD0

I've been reliably told that the Mk319 Mod0 130gr "SOST" bullet works well against them...

NavyShooter said:
I am going to be sorry I ever put this on the internet....

You have one sick sense of humour.  ;)

Rather than agonize over what rifle should replace the existing Ranger rifle, why not have a company like Prairie Gun Works design and develop a rifle with an action based on a reliable, rugged and simple Mauser, Mosin-Nagant or even Enfield action, chambered in .338 Lapua and married up with a commercial-off-the-shelf stock that can handle Arctic conditions without cracking or breaking? I can't imagine something like this being terribly complicated or expensive to produce.

The advantage is that .338 Lapua is a very common and easily found calibre. Hunters use it all the time to take moose and other big game, so it will definitely drop polar bears with no problem. Plus, it is a very flat-shooting cartridge that has a pretty long range. That would be an advantage to Ranger members in that they will be able to put more distance between themselves and an enemy if push came to shove, since the Rangers are really meant to operate as more of a trip-wire than anything else.

Seen a thing I never seen before, the Globeco Mohawk.  SVT action imported into Canada in the '50s and barrelled for .303.  Interesting Ranger rifle given the volume of SVT laying around now.

Lightguns said:
Seen a thing I never seen before, the Globeco Mohawk.  SVT action imported into Canada in the '50s and barrelled for .303.  Interesting Ranger rifle given the volume of SVT laying around now.

interesting, learn something new every day

sg0090.jpg

.338LM is a long range sniper round -- not practical for the application of the Rangers.

Not to mention the price of ammunition when qualifications time comes around. Imagine the cost of a "mad minute" in 338 :)

NEWS RELEASE
Minister Fantino Announces Contract Award for the Ranger Rifle Replacement and Upgrade Project

Contract will help create and support over 120 jobs and economic growth in the Kitchener-Waterloo region
June 23, 2015
KITCHENER, ONTARIO — The Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced that Colt Canada has been awarded a $1.5 million contract to replace the Canadian Ranger’s Lee Enfield rifle. This contract will provide the Canadian Rangers with the opportunity to test the new rifle design over the summer. Following the testing period, and any necessary design amendments, a second contract will be awarded to Colt Canada to produce 6500 rifles, which will be phased into use by the Rangers between mid-2016 and late-2019.

The Canadian Rangers, a sub-component of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Reserve, provide patrols and detachments for national-security and public-safety missions in sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada.  They are considered the “eyes and ears” of Canada’s Arctic and contribute greatly to the Canadian Armed Forces’ ability to assert sovereignty in Canada’s north.

Quick Facts
·        As the government’s long-standing supplier and maintainer of small arms, Colt Canada used its expertise to assist the government in the competitive process to select the design and manufacture the rifles. The company, previously called Diemaco, has been Canada's Small Arms Strategic Source and Centre of Excellence, since it was competitively selected as such in 1976.

·        A Request for Proposal (RFP) for the new Ranger Rifle design was released in September 2014, with a contract award in early 2015. The manufacture of the rifles, between 2016 and 2019, will support the current 90+ jobs at Colt Canada and contribute to the creation of up to approximately 30 jobs in the Kitchener-Waterloo region.

·        Stoeger Canada was the successful rifle contender in the Colt Canada Request for Proposal with a customized TIKKA T3 Compact Tactical Rifle.

·        The Canadian Rangers currently use Lee Enfields rifles. While these rifles are still excellent tools for an Arctic environment, their replacement parts are becoming less available and may be completely unavailable after 2017. The Government of Canada is replacing the Lee Enfields with modern rifles to meet the Ranger’s needs into the future.

Quotes

“The Canadian Rangers play a vital role in Canada’s ability to assert sovereignty in the North, and are critically important in the service they provide to the Canadian Armed Forces. Our Government is committed to ensuring they have the tools they need, and on behalf of our Government, I want to thank them for all they do to keep our borders and citizens safe and secure.”

The Honourable Julian Fantino, Associate Minister of National Defence

““This contract with Colt Canada will ensure that the Canadian Rangers get the equipment they need to protect Canada, while creating and supporting over 120 good and high-paying jobs in the Kitchener-Waterloo region.”

The Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Public Works and Government Services

Related Products

Backgrounder – New Rifles for the Canadian Rangers

- 30 –
Contacts

Ashlee Smith
Director of Communications to the Associate Minister of National Defence
Department of National Defence
(613) 996-3100
Media inquiries
Media Relations
Department of National Defence
Phone: 613-996-2353
Toll-Free: 1-866-377-0811
Email: mlo-blm@forces.gc.ca

I wonder whether the Enfields will be collected and sold as surplus to the civvie market?

Colin P said:
I fear for their safety, likely to be crushed  :'(

They deserve a better fate than the FNs had. Both are beautiful pieces of engineering, there's still time to save one of them.

recceguy said:
I wonder whether the Enfields will be collected and sold as surplus to the civvie market?

Can't it is actually in the Firearms Act that Government firearms cannot be sold to civilians. It really is too bad as I would love to have one.

Lee Enfields are still used by cadets for drill: the Ranger rifles represent a motherlode of spare parts and rifles to keep the fireable ones at summer training facilities going (used for e.g. feu de joie, etc.), and anything NS can be deactivated and issued to local units.

Did they say at all which version of T3 they are getting?  The 260 or the 308 calibre?  I'm assuming the 308...

Underway said:
Did they say at all which version of T3 they are getting?  The 260 or the 308 calibre?  I'm assuming the 308...
.308 Winchester.

Which actually has me thinking about their ammo procurement. Will they source .308 for the Patrols, or will they try to go with NATO 7.62x51?

Back