• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules on Cancelling a Release

rnkelly

Reaction score
Good day,

I was wondering if there was a process to cancel a release once it has been submitted.  My TOS expires in close to 6 months therefore need to submit my intention to release soon but I was wondering if I could withdraw it if my other plans don't work out.  Unfortunately the civvy employment offer won't come before the 6 months to TOS expiry date passes so I think I'll need to write the memo on speculation.

Assuming that the CF would still want me, could I cancel my release as long it's before my release date? 

Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Can only speak from my unit, but from seeing it happen multiple times:

There has been no major issues with members pulling his release (assuming they were good soldiers, etc), with of course less and less goodwill the longer the member chose to change his mind.  It may be in your best interest to be transparent with your CoC regarding this possibility however, both in memo and verbal forms.  It also will most likely have an impact on your remaining months from the time of submission, but you already know that.

Cpl X wanted to let his TOS expire in order to attend post secondary - as the time got close he changed his mind (realities of money, etc).  He ended up canceling his wish to leave during a leave block (so less then 2 weeks left before his release) and the unit had no major issues (outside of paperwork) to make it happen.  He was a well regarded Cpl however - Your milage may vary.

With more than 30 days remaining, you can request a previously refused terms of service.  Reference is CMP instruction 05/05.

Please note, these are not a high speed turn around and may not actually materialize until minutes before your TOS expire.  However, unless things have radically changed since your TOS were offered, you will get them.  For your unit to refuse, they would require an admin review - and you'll know if one of those is going on.

So, the CAF is like that girl you string along in case things don't work out with the girl you like. A backup plan.

dapaterson said:
So, the CAF is like that girl you string along in case things don't work out with the girl you like. A backup plan.

Haha, pretty much but chances are the hot chick doesn't like me back.

The CF taught me well though, I'm keeping my COA's open as long as I can by pushing my decision point to the right.

Thanks for the replies.

The end of your Terms of Service are exactly that, the end of your Terms of Service. You need to give 6 months notice if you plan to Voluntarily Release prior to the end of your TOS. You do not need to give 6 months notice to release at the end of your Terms of Service.

It is on your CoC to issue you an offer for a new TOS. They will recommend to the CO that you are or are not offered new TOS, and he will decide. Once he decides, you should be offered your new TOS. Approach your CoC, by memo or verbally, and let them know your intentions and that you'd like to not be offered / forced to make a decision too early (aka 6 months).

On one occasion, I (we, the CoC) waited until 32 days before one of my subordinates TOS end date for a decision. Our company clerk told me that at 30 days out, the release section starts processing the release if they haven't received a new TOS (I have no idea how this works in practice), so the 2 days gave it enough time to get it signed and finalized and keep the Release section from starting the release paperwork.

dapaterson said:

Not wanting to make a decision 6 months in advance to the end of the contract is hardly "stringing the CAF along," in my humble opinion anyway.

In my experience and sadly supervising mechanics in Edmonton I've processed to many releases, you put a memo in to release, or in this case to release at the end of a TOS.  It's just a matter of another memo to the CO to stop the process.  However you do have a clock ticking, once the Release section has actually processed your final release paperwork you are SOL.

Like ballz said, you need not do anything like submit a memo.  Your TOS will expire whether you request release or not.  Keep your CoC in the loop as to what your plans are, and they won't offer new TOS too early so that you can wait and see what pans out.

I was offered new TOS a few months ago and turned them down.  It makes sense to me that I should be able to just let my TOS lapse to release however I have been told that a memo is required 6 months before. It doesn't bother me if I can cancel it I suppose.

I've heard of some people having expired TOS while still serving, usually accidents, so I don't think the release process is started automatically once t-minus 30 days happens. So I think some sort of statement of intentions would have to be made ie; memo.

rnkelly said:
I've heard of some people having expired TOS while still serving, usually accidents, so I don't think the release process is started automatically once t-minus 30 days happens. So I think some sort of statement of intentions would have to be made ie; memo.

I've heard similar stories. What is supposed to happen and what does happen is a whole other thing. I personally thought it sounded far-fetched that the machine would be so efficient, but I could certainly see the benefit in having the member make his mind up 30 days in advance.

I did read that the member "should" inform the CO in writing of his intentions not to renew. This seemed to be a courtesy thing (if the CoC is doing its job, it has offered you a new TOS and you have signed refusing it) and until recently was not common practice at my unit (CO has decided he wants to speak to each member that is not renewing). That said, the end of your TOS is literally the end of your contract. You don't require any approval to get out at the end of your contract, and you don't require 6 months notice.

ballz said:
I've heard similar stories. What is supposed to happen and what does happen is a whole other thing. I personally thought it sounded far-fetched that the machine would be so efficient, but I could certainly see the benefit in having the member make his mind up 30 days in advance.

I did read that the member "should" inform the CO in writing of his intentions not to renew. This seemed to be a courtesy thing (if the CoC is doing its job, it has offered you a new TOS and you have signed refusing it) and until recently was not common practice at my unit (CO has decided he wants to speak to each member that is not renewing). That said, the end of your TOS is literally the end of your contract. You don't require any approval to get out at the end of your contract, and you don't require 6 months notice.

I've not seen a memo required for end of TOS, the written refusal of a TOS is quite enough.  You don't need any specific notice to the CO of an end of TOS release, the CoC starting at the Pl Comd/2IC will brief the CO and everyone in between on the fact that you are leaving, but IIRC you do have a time limit to sign the TOS paperwork or the clerks will take action as if you decided to not renew your TOS and you are releasing at the end of it.

Individual experiences may vary.  The majority of my release was initialized in the week prior to the end of my TOS. 

stealthylizard said:
Individual experiences may vary.  The majority of my release was initialized in the week prior to the end of my TOS.

Did you remind your CoC when you had 30 days remaining so that the admin procedures for release could be started?

ballz said:

The one and two year rules are there to ensure replacements come on station immediately and not several months after the position is vacated. I discuss with my subordinates 13 months out their options and present their TOS 12 months out. Unless they're 150% positive this is what they want, I typically recommend they refuse and request it later once they are sure.  This way, no-one is stringing the other along and the career manager has some early warning.

rnkelly said:
I was offered new TOS a few months ago and turned them down.  It makes sense to me that I should be able to just let my TOS lapse to release however I have been told that a memo is required 6 months before. It doesn't bother me if I can cancel it I suppose.

When you are offered "new TOS" and subsequently turn them down, that is basically your "statement of intentions" and no memo is required.  If you submit a memo requesting release, then you are requesting a "4.C. - Voluntary" when in fact the end of your TOS will result in either a 4.B. (less than 20 years svc) or a 5.C. (more than 20 years) I do believe.

Back