• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Regiment of Canada - Dieppe casualties

dfuller52 said:
I have sent to Ottawa for his record

Depending on how important this reseach is to you, you will have to visit ( by appointment only ) Ottawa to see his complete file. Based on my experience with what they send you is a - very - condensed version of the full files.

mariomike said:
Depending on how important this reseach is to you, you will have to visit ( by appointment only ) Ottawa to see his complete file. Based on my experience with what they send you is a - very - condensed version of the full files.

For a wartime casualty, he should receive the complete file as held by Library and Archives Canada.

If a file has been requested for a soldier who has been dead less than 20 years, or date of death cannot be confirmed, then the files will be heavily censored for privacy.

Michael O'Leary said:
For a wartime casualty, he should receive the complete file as held by Library and Archives Canada.
If a file has been requested for a soldier who has been dead less than 20 years, or date of death cannot be confirmed, then the files will be heavily censored for privacy.

I don't claim to be an expert. My Dad and I only reseached one RCAF Lancaster that was MIA in Occupied France.  They sent us photocopies of their files. The photocopies were so hard to read we decided to drive to Ottawa ( after making arrangements ). What they sent us was perhaps 10% of the files. What we found in Ottawa were the MRES#136-Paris. That was the Missing Reseach Enquiry. LOTS of photos. The French photgraphed everything. There was a stack of photos the RCAF never sent my family.  Letters - lots of letters - back and forth between the mothers. Little notes from the French ladies. Even a little Cross of Loraine from the perspex ( I think its called ) from the windshield. 
What they sent in the mail was a drop in the bucket.

My experience is based on the 40-50 files in the file crates beside my desk.  Mostly First World War, but including a few later ones, such as one Second World War casualty file of 69 pages.

I have recently researched this archives business for the members of another forum and I can tell you directly from the staff at Library & Archives Canada that the standard free "genie package" (short for genealogy) includes only those files that relate to a person's sign-up, training, promotions and postings, etc.
Sometimes a burial card and other documents are included that give more personal details but if it contains anything like an accident/incident report or other personal effects, you won't get it without paying the copying charges. They do their best to send what they can, I was told, but they limit it to a couple of dozen pages at most.
I have several and they were quite detailed for what I needed but I also plan to visit Ottawa to see the whole file on several of my subjects.

Back