• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Newfoundland Regiment to receive new colours

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Regiment on their service and dedication.

from CTV.ca

Princess to present N.L. regiment with new colours
The Canadian Press

Date: Saturday Apr. 24, 2010 7:35 AM ET

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Devastating First World War losses suffered by the Royal Newfoundland Regiment will be remembered today at a ceremony featuring Princess Anne, who is presenting new regimental colours with full pageantry.

The Queen's daughter is colonel-in-chief of the storied military unit, which suffered terrible losses at Beaumont Hamel in France and in other First World War battles.

Anne began a two-day visit to St. John's on Friday.

Lt.-Col. Alex Brennan says he hopes Mile One Centre in St. John's will be a scene of remembrance and respect for veterans past and present during the ceremony.

The parade and ceremony are expected to be a highlight of Princess Anne's trip.

The catastrophe of Beaumont Hamel on July 1, 1916, is still a dark day in Newfoundland and Labrador and is marked each year.

The unit was replenished after the battle and King George V added the extraordinary prefix of Royal to the regiment's title in 1917, in part to recognize its valour at Ypres and Cambrai.

Princess Anne wraps up her stay in the province on Sunday with a wreath-laying ceremony at Bowring Park in St. John's to honour those who died in the First World War.

Congratulations to my Newfie cousins,,,,I'm from Saskatchewan, the Newfoundland of the West..... ;)

Growing up in southern Ontario the stereotype was that Canada's worst (intelligence-wise) were from "new FOUND land" (as we pronounced it, vice "NEWF and land"), but since I have joined I have met only very smart people from there.

There is however, another place in the Maritimes that the stereotype applies to, that may or may not like to refer to itself as an island/province even though it's neither  ;D

I've made a lot of good friends over the years that came from the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Congats.

Here is a link to the Telegram story. The last presentation was in 1983, it seems they got good use out of those Colours to need new ones now.

kkwd said:
Here is a link to the Telegram story. The last presentation was in 1983, it seems they got good use out of those Colours to need new ones now.

It is possible that the 1983 presentation was for only one of the Queen's or Regimental Colour.  The approach taken by DHH today is to present complete sets of Colours, in order to reduce the requirements and demands on units to coordinate and conduct ceremonies every time one Colour or the other needs to be replaced.

Michael O'Leary said:
It is possible that the 1983 presentation was for only one of the Queen's or Regimental Colour.  The approach taken by DHH today is to present complete sets of Colours, in order to reduce the requirements and demands on units to coordinate and conduct ceremonies every time one Colour or the other needs to be replaced.

No, a complete set was presented in 1983. I was there on that special day.

Just saw a 30 second segmennt about this on CBC and their website mentions First Battalion only, can anyone say if any members from 2nd Batallion were there? Also how common is for a Regiment to receive new colors?

Glad to see them honoring those who came before us and earned the Regiment the prefix/battle honor of Royal.

215 years young.

Better then the Best!

May those who serve today leave up to those who served the Regiment i the past.

NS  Newfie formerly of the 2nd Batallion, Charlie Company Stephenville

kkwd said:
No, a complete set was presented in 1983. I was there on that special day.

Yup I was present for the Chuck and Di show too, and we received a full set. Especially loved the fact that the RCMP musical ride used the stadium the night before and there was no clean up crew.  8)

Back