• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Navy Invade Florida- Locals Angry

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Where is the shore patrol ? Rowdy sailors from the HMS QE wear out their welcome.carrier has a pub lol ;D

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/09/09/drunken-british-sailors-are-invading-florida-and-beating-each-other-up-because-why-not/ 

Six sailors arrested, out of a complement‎ of ‎679.  :panic:

If you get past the headline... OK, and the abysmal Fox 'news' writing style... the only actual complaint is that the sailors didn't tip well.  ::)

Journeyman said:

If you get past the headline... OK, and the abysmal Fox 'news' writing style... the only actual complaint is that the sailors didn't tip well.  ::)

6 were actually arrested.  That does not mean a whole pile of others were not involved in one way or another.

Journeyman said:

Likely as they don't get paid as much as the waitress think they do.

Covered in basic or not, T6, it does not matter to RN ratings. You just can't tip on a RN ratings pay.

As far as standard of living is concerned, you can compare their pay expressed in pounds directly to our North American salaries in dollars as the cost of living in the UK permits such comparison.

Just comparing UK to Canadian seaman's pay:

Ordinary seaman to leading seaman top incentive levels: UK -> 19000 Pounds to 36404 pounds. Canadians -> C$ 35820 to C$ 65292.

Just doesn't compare, does it?

No. Entry level pay I suppose. I tip 20% of the bill but a young guy surely could afford 10 ?

tomahawk6 said:
No. Entry level pay I suppose. I tip 20% of the bill but a young guy surely could afford 10 ?

British Forces are always quite willing to give waitresses the tip.... just not the one they were expecting. Hence the article I suppose ;)

Who said anything about young guys (or gals, in the UK, BTW  ;) )?

I did not include their pay during basic, which is even lower. And the top number of 36000 pounds is something they would need 9 years of service to achieve. They truly don't pay their people over there, and unlike your people in the US, they don't get extra breaks such as highly subsidized lodging or food at the BX, etc.

For a moment, I thought the poor tiping could have been related to the way they were treated by the attending staff - but just for a very fleeting moment, because my experience in the US is that, outside NYC and LA, food services attendants of all types are just some of the friendliest people I know.

According to the article, “I don’t think they knew they were doing anything wrong” suggests (to me) that the tip amount is a UK cultural issue rather than pay scale or wait staff service.  :dunno:

I can't remember - is tipping at all expected in the UK?  It's not a thing in Australia/New Zealand or a lot of continental Europe.

Dimsum said:
I can't remember - is tipping at all expected in the UK?  It's not a thing in Australia/New Zealand or a lot of continental Europe.

Many countries have the gratuity (up to 15%) included in the bill at the restaurant.  Normal tip is 5-10% in countries that do not include.  10% is considered a big tip in many European countries.

One source: https://www.getours.com/expert-travel-advice/money-travel-tips/tipping-in-europe

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Covered in basic or not, T6, it does not matter to RN ratings. You just can't tip on a RN ratings pay.

As far as standard of living is concerned, you can compare their pay expressed in pounds directly to our North American salaries in dollars as the cost of living in the UK permits such comparison.

Just comparing UK to Canadian seaman's pay:

Ordinary seaman to leading seaman top incentive levels: UK -> 19000 Pounds to 36404 pounds. Canadians -> C$ 35820 to C$ 65292.

Just doesn't compare, does it?

Not an enormous different looking at current exchange rates on bank of Canada and an exchange house.  Conversion works out to roughly $32500 to $62200 Canadian.  Approx $3k less.

And you, CountDc, are not reading what I said.

You have to compare the actual cost of  living in national currency in each country to compare. in other words, the buying power of the currency.

In the UK, everything is , expressed in pounds, about the same as in Canada. In other words, if you buy a latte at Starbuck for $3.00 in Canada, the same latte will set you back 3.00 pounds in the UK. So the buying power of a pound, in the UK, is the same as the buying power of a dollar in Canada.

Put in a final way: One pound in the UK is like a dollar in Canada. therefore, their salaries are like between $19,000 and $36,000 if they lived in Canada as far as buying power is concerned.

They are way under paid compared to us. Period.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
It's just the name the Chiefs and Petty Officer's mess give their actual mess.

Looks like a pub to me.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-largest-ever-warship-traditional-13092257

I would have expected you, of all people, Chief Stoker, to get that something installed "in" the senior NCO's mess of a British warship is part of the C&PO's mess rather than a 'pub" open to all onboard.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I would have expected you, of all people, Chief Stoker, to get that something installed "in" the senior NCO's mess of a British warship is part of the C&PO's mess rather than a 'pub" open to all onboard.

All I'm saying it looks like a traditional pub, who knows what the Jr's or the wardroom looks like. I would of preferred an pub open to everyone.

Back