• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rowing Canada, UVic investigate celebrated coach for harassment

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rowing Canada, UVic investigate celebrated coach for harassment, abuse

Lily Copeland felt she had found her purpose in life when she joined the University of Victoria rowing team.

As a coxswain, she steered the boat and co-ordinated the rhythm of the team, applying her love of helping others to a competitive sport.

But soon after Barney Williams became her coach, she says she could barely get out of bed to make it to practice. She alleges the Olympic silver medallist verbally abused and harassed her, plunging her into a self-destructive depression.

"All that mattered was what he thought of me," says Copeland, 21. "Everything else started falling apart."

Copeland is one of three athletes and an assistant coach who have filed complaints against Williams with the university and Rowing Canada Aviron, the governing body that certifies coaches in the country. She alleges he repeatedly yelled at her in a cramped, locked room and criticized her weight and appearance until she began cutting herself and throwing up her food.

The allegations have divided the rowing community and revived debate about so-called "old-school" coaching. Six rowers who spoke with The Canadian Press describe Williams as a devoted leader, while six others and two parents say he elevates some athletes while excluding and belittling others, causing some to suffer suicidal thoughts and panic attacks.

Williams says he respects the confidentiality of the university probe and can't provide a detailed response until it has wrapped, while also declining comment on allegations outside the process.

"I regard coaching as a privilege that comes with responsibility, and am committed to continued professional growth so that I may play my part in helping the student-athletes that are selected to the UVic varsity women's rowing team become the best version of themselves on and off the water," he says in a statement.

When the school launched its investigation in April, team members were told Williams was on a personal leave. He returned to coaching at the school last month even though the process is still underway.

https://www.timescolonist.com/rowing-canada-uvic-investigate-celebrated-coach-for-harassment-abuse-1.24010794

Back