• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retire from CAF and entering Fed PS [Merged]

Well, I am back with some info.  Thank you so much, esp @DA Patterson for helping me to "help myself."

So, I sent an RFI to the OPI (for lack of a better acronym) DCSM (Director Casualty Support Management) on 18 Jul 17.  I actually got back a response on 20 Jul 17.  I list the dates as actually DCSM was reasonably fast with its response to my inquiry, but I am actually negligent in posting this excellent info in this thread.

Anyhow, essentially I received a "form" email, but all of the relevant info is in the email, plus a POC was provided for a personal follow-up.  What I REALLY liked about the email is that it does give some great advice about things for us 3B'ers to check-off &/or consider BEFORE  activating priority hire.  Since it is a generic email, I have no issues with copying & pasting it here.  Naturally, I have deleted the POC info.  Plus, I have not included the three attachments that came with the email.  My goal here is to provide some general, great info that I have received.  Interested personnel can contact DCSM on their own to get the full, most recent info.

Email:

DCSM-DGSB@forces.gc.ca

Anyhow, here is the generic email info that I received.  All of the below is in "quotation marks":

Last update 14 July 2017

If you are a medically released former full-time CAF member (i.e., Reg Force, Res Class C, or Res Class B > 180 days) you can access your regulatory priority entitlement simply by contacting DCSM CAF Transition Services when you are ready to do so. If you wish, you can activate the regulatory priority first while awaiting the VAC determination for your eligibility for the higher statutory priority.

Note that you can activate your priority entitlement at any time within the five-year period following your final date of release from the CAF. When you are ready to activate the priority entitlement please call me between 1000 and 1430 EST at 613-944-4039 (Please advise me by email if you don’t have a good long distance phone plan and I will call you). I will need about 30 minutes to go through some info with you about the process and after that I will send you the documents and information you need to activate the entitlement.  In the meantime please take a look at the following information and action as you see fit. You do not have to have this completed when we set up the call; it is something for you to work on now if you wish.

This email contains some planning information to help you get a head start on the steps you need to take in order to activate your priority entitlement.

·        General Guidance and document templates

o  Fitness Letter
o  Priority Person Résumé
o  VAC 1002 application – for statutory priority eligibility determination if you have a service-attributable medical release

·        BEFORE ACTIVATING YOUR PRIORITY ENTITLEMENT

·        HOW TO ACCESS PUBLIC SERVICE JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION

·        SERVING CAF MEMBERS - Career transition information and services *

·        DND Learning and Career Centre (LCC) courses *

·        SISIP’s CAF Job Search Assistance

·        PSC Records of Second Language Testing Results

* - This information will not be applicable to released members, as noted in the text below.

Note that the earliest date that you can start the administrative part of the priority activation process is thirty (30) days prior to the latter of:

·        The date listed as your final date of release (DOR) on the RTNM message generated by your Release Section, or
·        The date during the five-year period following your DOR that you wish to have the priority active.

Regardless of any preparation you make in advance of the priority entitlement activation, your first step in activating the entitlement should be to contact DCSM Transition Services. DO NOT contact a DND HR office as your first step.

If you are starting to think about what you will need to do to activate your CAF medically released priority hiring entitlement, here are some things you can do now.

DO NOT SEND THESE DOCUMENTS TO DCSM – YOU WILL BE GIVEN DIRECTION DURING THE PHONE BRIEFING

1.      Fitness Letter  (Serving members) When you are setting up the appointment for Part 2 of your release medical, ask the CDU to advise the CAF treating clinician that you want the fitness letter for the priority hiring entitlement. They may have a copy of the template available – if they do not have a copy, see the attached files and provide the CDU with a copy before you go for Part 2. (see attached examples - Fitness Letter template - post release (2016-06-09 ENGLISH).doc and Fitness Letter - Completed Example Fitness Letter - Completed Example 2016-06.pdf).

NOTE: Some CAF CDUs use a CF Sick Chit/CF2018 for this purpose; generally speaking this is usually acceptable for this requirement, provided that the CAF treating clinician’s certification in the sick chit contains the same language as seen in the letter template.

For released members, you may also obtain this letter from a civilian doctor or other health care professional; this is a good idea for those persons who are not planning to activate the priority shortly after release. The costs for obtaining this fitness letter from your civilian doctor or other medical professional after release are covered by your own resources.

You must obtain and submit this letter within the five-year period following your date of release from the CAF, even if you are still waiting for the VAC determination letter at the end of the five-year activation period. If you do not obtain and submit the letter before the end of the five-year period you will lose your priority entitlement(s).

IMPORTANT: If you are a released member, the certification date in the CAF treating clinician/civilian doctor's letter starts the 'five-year clock' for your priority entitlement period. 

VERY IMPORTANT: The medical professional providing the letter should stay close to the format provided in this email.  Additional detail or background info is not necessary and can cause problems for the priority activation process.

2.      Priority Person Résumé – (see attached for the alternate format template - PIMS Resume-cv-eng - 2013-04-04.rtf)
Members must  submit their résumé in MS Word or other Windows-compatible word processing format (do not send a PDF document). 
If you do not already have a well-prepared public service style résumé you may, if you wish, use the attached template and submit it with your documents. 
If you need help preparing a résumé, after release it may be available from SISIP and/or VAC-Career Transition Services (see below).  Note that the PS application system limits your documentation to:

·        Résumé (mandatory), maximum 30,000 characters permitted
·        Cover Letter (if required for the position), maximum 30,000 characters permitted

PLEASE NOTE:
·        It is very important to keep in mind that your CV/résumé and cover letters will be read by civilian managers who will not understand military short forms or jargon.  You must make sure that you 'translate' your CAF skills, qualifications and experience into civilian terminology.

·        As much as possible you should use public service language and terminology to describe your CAF experience and qualifications. You can find good examples by searching through descriptions for job opportunities you will find through your account on www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs.html.

3.      VAC 1002 application. A CAF member or former member who believes that their medical release is attributable to their military service must make a specific application to VAC to initiate this determination process. This process cannot be started until after you have received a medical release AR/MEL decision from DMCA and it must be initiated with VAC within five years of the final date of release. If you do not initiate the determination process within this period you will lose access to this entitlement.
Visit veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/ps-hiring for details and to start the determination process.

IMPORTANT: If your medical release is related to a medical condition for which VAC has not yet rendered a final award decision, you should indicate this on page 2 of the VAC 1002 form in the section entitled ‘Information about Applicant’. In order for VAC to make a fully-informed determination, please insert the phrase: “NOTE – this application is related to a VAC disability award claim that is still in progress with VAC.” as part of you description of the medical condition(s) that you believe are related to your medical release from the CAF.

This request and form should be submitted to VAC through your ‘My VAC’ account; We strongly encourage you to submit the form via the online method. If that is not possible, the alternate method for submission is by mailing the completed VAC 1002 form by Canada Post to
Veterans Affairs Canada, PO Box 6000, Matane, QC G4W 0E4.

When VAC sends you the favourable determination, carefully read and follow the instructions given in the two-page cover letter.
Note: Do not obtain an unsigned copy of the letter from your local VAC office. It will not be accepted by the Public Service Commission as verification of the entitlement. You must receive the ink-signed copy of the letter and send in a scanned/fax’d copy of it.

BEFORE ACTIVATING YOUR PRIORITY ENTITLEMENT:

Please carefully consider the following as free advice to do a 'reality check' before activating your priority entitlement:

► It is strongly recommended that you do not activate your priority entitlement until you are both medically ready and vocationally ready to seek employment.

► Regardless of any extenuating circumstances, within the five-year period following your date of release you must obtain both the ‘fit to return to work’ letter described below, and you must initiate the process of activating your regulatory and/or statutory priority entitlement, also described below. If you do not do so, you will lose your priority entitlement(s).

► You have up to five years from your final date of release (DOR) within which to activate your priority entitlement(s). Once activated, you can be in the priority pool for a maximum of five years.

► A priority entitlement is a 'one-shot deal'; once activated it cannot be switched off or deferred.  If you are unsuccessful in obtaining an indeterminate position within the five-year period, there is no second chance.

► You are in the same regulatory or statutory priority pool as all other public service civilians who are in the priority system because of their own personal situations.

► Regarding all aspects of the priority entitlement, you have the same rights, the same obligations, and must meet the same standards as civilian public service priority persons in the priority pool.

► In order to be considered for priority appointment to a position falling under the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA)  and Public Service Employment Regulations (PSER), you MUST meet all the essential qualifications listed in a position's Statement of Merit Criteria, along with the Conditions of Employment. This includes requirements such as second language proficiency and/or being able to obtain a security clearance.

► There is no guarantee or entitlement to the same pay you were making while serving in the CAF.  Regardless of the position and pay level you are seeking for a Public Service position, you must still meet the essential qualifications listed in the Statement of Merit Criteria for any job under consideration. This pay level may be lower, higher, or similar to what you were earning in the CAF.

HOW TO ACCESS PUBLIC SERVICE JOB OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION

You can view all public service job advertisements and staffing notifications on
www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs.html.

Specific information for CAF members and Veterans is available on ‘Veterans and CAF Members’ at www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs/canadian-armed-forces-members-veterans.html

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT
EXTERNAL APPOINTMENT OPPORTUNITIES (for jobs that are open to the public, former CAF members and priority persons (including CAF priority persons))
and
INTERNAL APPOINTMENT OPPORTUNITIES (for jobs that are open to PS employees, serving or former CAF members, and priority persons (including CAF priority persons))

Changes under the Veterans Hiring Act now allow serving and former CAF members (for up to five years after release) to have access to all Public Service job opportunities via the link:
www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs.html.
Note that you do not need to activate your CAF medically-released priority entitlement in order to start monitoring internal job opportunities.

If you wish to view external and internal public service job opportunities, you can create a Public Service Resourcing System (PSRS) account by following these steps:

1. Go to www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs.html;

2. Select "Create an account";

3. Follow the steps needed to create your account.

4. In the ‘Identification’ section, make sure that you:
·        use your full legal name on record with the CAF (e.g., Daniel, not Dan; Christine, not Chrissy).The biggest problem with verifying your application is that you must insert your ‘Given Names’ exactly as they appear in your CAF MPRR.
·        enter your CAF Service Number in the appropriate data field.

5. When you are setting up your email alerts, ensure that you select both ‘jobs open to the public’ and ‘internal jobs’.

NOTE: As a serving or former CAF member, you can create a full-access PSRS account on www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/public-service-jobs.html  before activating a priority entitlement. This will give you access to useful information about public service job opportunities which may help with your planning for when you do decide to activate your priority entitlement.

FOR SERVING CAF MEMBERS - Career transition information and services

Contact your local BPSO for further details on SCAN and other in-service transition assistance.

(Serving members only) If available in your area, these DND Learning and Career Centre (LCC) courses may aid you in your preparation for transition to the public service:

·        Resume Writing
·        Interview Preparation

SISIP’s CAF Job Search Assistance (JSA) is available to
Releasing/Released CAF Members who qualify for SISIP LTD

JSA Services include :
·        Resume writing
·        Cover letter preparation
·        Personal job searches
·        Priority Hiring Resume preparation
·        Priority Hiring Cover Letter
·        Assistance with your Priority Hiring Activation
·        Job interview preparation
·        Teaching you how to tailor your resume, conduct cold calls, plus other job search strategies
Contact your SISIP Vocational Rehab Counsellor for details

FORMER CAF MEMBERS - Veterans Affairs Canada - Career Transition Services (CTS)

What services could I be reimbursed for?
·        Career assessments
·        Aptitude testing
·        Job market analysis
·        Resume writing
·        Job search skills
·        Interview techniques
·        Individual career counselling
·        Job finding assistance
·        Services of a professional recruiter agent
Please consult VAC Career Transition Services veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition. For more information or to ask if you qualify, contact:

Veterans Affairs Canada:
            Toll free at 1-866-522-2122 (service in English)
            Toll free at 1-866-522-2022 (service in French) or visit
          www.veterans.gc.ca/

PSC Records of Second Language Testing Results

If you have a current second language proficiency and wish to obtain a copy of the results, or you need to provide a copy of the results to an HR advisor responsible for an appointment process to which you have applied, you may submit an application to the Public Service Commission at the following link:  www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/test-examen-result/result-eng.htm . The second language test names begin with ‘SLE’.

Mods: This could be merged with Priority Hiring in Fed Pub Svc (info, news, hints, tips, etc. - merged)

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/minister-oregan-announces-an-initiative-to-support-veteran-hiring-in-the-public-service-and-issues-a-corporate-challenge-648473513.html

TORONTO, Sept. 28, 2017 /CNW/ - Canada's Veterans and service men and women are known around the world for their skills, abilities and expertise. The Government of Canada is committed to helping Veterans and releasing Canadian Armed Forces personnel find meaningful employment to help ensure a successful transition to post-military life.

During the Veterans Career Summit at the Invictus Games in Toronto, the Honourable Seamus O'Regan, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence issued a challenge to corporate Canada and the Public Service to recognize the valuable skills Veterans have acquired through the Canadian Armed Forces and to help welcome them into the civilian workforce.

Minister O'Regan also announced the launch of the Veterans in the Public Service Unit (VPSU) while addressing attendees of the Career Summit. This new unit within Veterans Affairs was formed to help Veterans navigate the Federal Public Service hiring process. The VPSU also works with managers from across the public service, in promoting the training, experiences and skill-sets of Canadian Veterans for employment within the Public Service.

"While in service to Canada, Veterans have gained the skills, experience and leadership that make them ideal employees. I encourage and challenge corporate Canada and the Public Service of Canada to recognize the value of the skills that our brave men and women have acquired, and commit to joining us in our efforts to encourage the hiring of Canada's Veterans."
The Honourable Seamus O'Regan, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

Quick Facts

The VPSU was formed in 2017 and is the first dedicated service of its kind in Canada to assist Veterans navigating the public service hiring process.
The VPSU will help Veterans understand and make the most of their entitlements under the Veterans Hiring Act and express their skills, military education and experience in terms that public service hiring managers will understand.
The VPSU will help Veterans with the technical skills of applying for a job, including: editing their resumes and cover letters; understanding the terminology and application process for applying to Public Service jobs; and help translating military skills and experience to public service hiring managers.
Veterans in the Public Service Unit responsibilities include: educating Veterans on the public service hiring process; assisting Veterans in applying for jobs in the public service; connecting Veterans and federal employers; and, advocating for Veterans and the skills they bring.
The VPSU will work with Veterans to provide possible Public Service opportunities that may be a match to their skills, education and desired location.
The VPSU is made up of Veterans who understand the needs of a releasing Veteran looking for meaningful employment.
The five person VPSU team is funded from VAC's existing budget.
Veterans who have any questions or require assistance can contact the VPSU by sending a message through My VAC Account or by calling the Department at 1-866-522-2122.

Reviving an old post to get clarification.

I'm looking at retirement windows now. I have 10 years of service left (had some reserve time) until I'm eligable for an immediate retirement annuity with CAF. It's my intention to leave as soon as I hit 25 and then most likely look at taking a public service job for 6 or 7 years while I wait for my wife to retire (she's PS). We are in a position where we can both probably retire around age 50 very comfortably.

The question I have is am I able to work in the public service while collecting my CAF pension? It makes sense that I would, and this thread seems to indicate this, but I have people keep telling me you can't. I think they might be not grasping the concept of me not transfering my pension to PS.

Can anyone confirm if they are doing this now, collecting their CAF pension while working full time in the public service? At the end of your time are you able to then also build up a PS pension for a couple of years that you can differ and collect at 65 or just take as a transfer value?

Pre-flight said:
Reviving an old post to get clarification.

I'm looking at retirement windows now. I have 10 years of service left (had some reserve time) until I'm eligable for an immediate retirement annuity with CAF. It's my intention to leave as soon as I hit 25 and then most likely look at taking a public service job for 6 or 7 years while I wait for my wife to retire (she's PS). We are in a position where we can both probably retire around age 50 very comfortably.

The question I have is am I able to work in the public service while collecting my CAF pension? It makes sense that I would, and this thread seems to indicate this, but I have people keep telling me you can't. I think they might be not grasping the concept of me not transfering my pension to PS.

Can anyone confirm if they are doing this now, collecting their CAF pension while working full time in the public service? At the end of your time are you able to then also build up a PS pension for a couple of years that you can differ and collect at 65 or just take as a transfer value?

CAVEAT:  I am not a  pension expert.

Yes you can collect your pension from CAF and work in the PS.  I have a co-worker where I work that did this.  I've also had plenty of coworkers that have done or are doing this.

You cannot get more than 35 years of pensionable service.  Your CAF time counts so if you 25 years and collect your pension you can only get 10  more years of pensionable service through the PS.

You can work as long as you want but your total pensionable time cannot exceed 35 years.

Would that 35 year limit include military pension that has not been surrendered (ie transfered over) to the public service? From my understanding if I take my military pension at 25, then it should have no effect on accumulation of 35 years in PS? My intent is to retire from the PS before 10 years, but it would be good to know if there's the option of going further with it.

from the TBS site:

Maximum Period of pensionable service

You can accumulate up to 35 years of pensionable service, including:
•Current service;
•Service buyback;
•Prior service transferred from another pension plan; and
•Pensionable service accumulated under other federal government pension plans for which you are receiving or are entitled to receive a pension, such as the Canadian Forces-Regular Force Pension Plan or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Pension Plan.

After 35 years of pensionable service, your contribution rate drops to 1 percent of your salary for the remainder of your service. Even if you stop accumulating pensionable service, your pension will be calculated taking into account your salary paid during that period.

You can accumulate a maximum of thirty five years of pensionable service, combined, between the three main plans - Public Service, RCMP, and CF (part I).

So, if you have 25 years in CF part I, you can get another 10 in the PS or RCMP before topping out.

Does 3 years of service only mater for Reg Force members or are they talking about Reserve members as well?

And would one have to leave the CAF all together to get a Federal Job? or would staying in the PRes help/hurt chance of getting Federal jobs?

TheSnake said:
Does 3 years of service only mater for Reg Force members or are they talking about Reserve members as well?

And would one have to leave the CAF all together to get a Federal Job? or would staying in the PRes help/hurt chance of getting Federal jobs?

For reference to the discussion,

Priority Hiring in Fed Pub Svc (info, news, hints, tips, etc. - merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/41696.200.html
9 pages.

Moving from CF to PS
https://army.ca/forums/threads/105341.75
8 pages.

Retiring to join Public Service
https://army.ca/forums/threads/81722.0
2 pages.

Public Service ( PS )
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&sxsrf=ACYBGNRmb93GXEAnnHSm5oAyFSfYyI5zog%3A1569435876296&ei=5LCLXfXWEcLm_QaNhIagCA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ps&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+ps&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..30351...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.oguAoIkCTvM&ved=0ahUKEwj12J2fzOzkAhVCc98KHQ2CAYQQ4dUDCAo#spf=1569435908466

mariomike said:
For reference to the discussion,

Moving from CF to PS
https://army.ca/forums/threads/105341.75
8 pages.

Retiring to join Public Service
https://army.ca/forums/threads/81722.0
2 pages.

these 2 won't open for me

mariomike said:
They were merged into these 18 pages.

Okay could not find an answer, if 3 years of service is for Reg Force only or that also means Res for priority listing.

TheSnake said:
Okay could not find an answer,

Frequently asked questions – Priority hiring

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact the VPSU by sending a message through My VAC Account or by calling the Department at 1-866-522-2122.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/finding-a-job/federal-government-jobs/faqs

Date modified:  2019-09-12

VPSU means,

Veterans in the Public Service Unit (VPSU)
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTVYA_5CiiYUMlaLeaVd6s9F_CV1Q%3A1569450886965&ei=huuLXaDBOujF_QaQgI1I&q=Veterans+in+the+Public+Service+Unit&oq=Veterans+in+the+Public+Service+Unit&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i71l8.0.0..29945...0.3..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.-nJLQhDBl80&ved=0ahUKEwignPCUhO3kAhXoYt8KHRBAAwkQ4dUDCAo#spf=1569450937527

Okay I think I made a mistake with my other question. Because of every job posting got  this at the end

"Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order "

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/gc-jobs/canadian-armed-forces-members-veterans/transition-to-the-federal-public-service.html

So what I am trying to ask is a Vet with less than 3 years of Service (Reg/Res) will they get a boost in the Job market? or does Service Canada only care about Vets with either 3 years or medical release

and is 3 years of service just Reg force or Res (Class either Call A or B/C) as well? or Reserve with a lot of Class C and B time ?

TheSnake said:
So if I understand this only Veterans with 3 years of service will get preference. but what about ex-CAF members who did basic and left with a good release aren't they also Vets?

and is 3 years of service just Reg force or Res as well? or Reserve with a lot of Class C and B time ?

Did you call and ask?

Priority hiring

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact the VPSU by calling the Department at 1-866-522-2122.

TheSnake said:
Okay I think I made a mistake with my other question. Because of every job posting got  this at the end

So what I am trying to ask is a Vet with less than 3 years of Service (Reg/Res) will they get a boost in the Job market? or does Service Canada only care about Vets with either 3 years or medical release

and is 3 years of service just Reg force or Res (Class either Call A or B/C) as well? or Reserve with a lot of Class C and B time ?

To answer the first question: no.  You either have  a min 3 years or were medically released

Not sure if class A counts.  Your service will be assessed but everything I have ever done through the PS including my application required service of a min 180 days continuous service with no breaks in time.  So things like my vacation entitlement, pension stuff etc.

But I applied internally and was not given any preference beyond that.

Best is to call

Back