• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves Combat Engineer, the recruiting video vs reality

CountDC said:
If you are talking about the Paladin Response they were stopped by bde/div.

That would be the one. That sucks mostly for the members who won't get to experience it. Was one of the best Ex's I was on as a young Sapper.

Gunshark said:
...And I believe engineers ... can still take the parachute course - but I don't know how much of that happens in the Reserves. Maybe you really have to stand out to get sent on some cool courses - If someone knows more about this, please let us know!...

From a 32 CER standpoint, we sure can take the parachute course if there are spots available and offered to us. I'm not sure how often we get these opportunities, but last summer we had 2 (I think 3?) troops attend Basic Para; a Sapper and a MCpl (and a Cpl if I was right about the 3).

I was told you have to compete for the spots with a fitness test:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/102643.0
http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Petawawa/EN/FitnessandSports/MilitaryFitness/MilitaryFitnessTesting/Pages/PREPARA.aspx

P.S. Were you the guy shooting the C6 with me in the SATS room?

Thanks for the info Leeema. I wasn't the guy shooting the C6 with you. What's the SATS room?

SATS is a small arms training simulator consisting of a large screen and weapons hooked up to co2. I've seen it simulate a shooting range of varying distances and a variety of scenarios, from game-like enemy figures to actors/actresses. I've never seen these used while I was in the room, but I think the M203, C8, M72 can be hooked up as well.
The SATS room is shared with other 32 Bde units, so it's not exclusive to 32 CER.

Sounds cool. Just for fun - is it true that soldiers that achieve a high standard in shooting receive a rifle pin on their uniform?

It's getting a bit off topic(my apologies), but the short answer is yes on their dress uniform. I'm more about the exercises :)

Regarding the OP's post, it's the things like monthly exercises, trades course, Stalwart Guardian, or the occasional tasking where we do most of the stuff in the recruiting video (albeit in a limited capacity). The weekly parade nights are usually training to build up towards the the exercises.

Back