• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves Combat Engineer, the recruiting video vs reality

dece74

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very interested in this trade in particular. After speaking with a friend of mine, who is a recruiter, he described the job to me as 90% building bridges and that is it often 'back breaking hard labour', whereas the recruiting video on the forces.ca shows a very wide variety of tasks including working closely with the infantry, working with explosives, even rappelling and airborne training. But my friends assessment is really sticking with me. I know that constructing bridges and surveying areas to place them is a large part of the job but is it really the vast majority of it? And is it done manually (8 guys lifting giant steel portions all day as he described it). It sounds more like a construction/labour job than soldiering.

In other words I guess I'm asking what is the day to day reality of a reservist Combat Engineer versus what the recruiting video shows? Any personal insight for this wannabe reservist would be great.

Thanks guys, and if this specific question has been covered excuse me and point me to it. Cheers!

dece74 said:
Thanks guys, and if this specific question has been covered excuse me and point me to it.

Average day (or week or month or even a year) as a Combat Engineer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109556.0

Combat Engineer Reserves 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2153.0

I suggest going to your local Engineer Reserve unit on a parade night and speak to there recruiter. You will also get a better sense of what they do. As a former Engineer Reservist I can tell you that bridging was a smaller aspect than what was described to you. Although if you become an Engineer I suggest going on the bridging EX in Chilliwack BC if they still hold it. Awesome time and you learn a lot. The food is worth it alone.

Teager said:
I suggest going to your local Engineer Reserve unit on a parade night and speak to there recruiter. You will also get a better sense of what they do. As a former Engineer Reservist I can tell you that bridging was a smaller aspect than what was described to you. Although if you become an Engineer I suggest going on the bridging EX in Chilliwack BC if they still hold it. Awesome time and you learn a lot. The food is worth it alone.

Absolutely, I've been calling the local unit to speak to them/sign up but everyone is apparently out of the office until early May so I'm just standing by.

Anything else you can elaborate on?? You're exactly the type of guy I want to hear from on this WRT my original question. Is that recruiting video really a good indication of what to expect with this trade? Thanks for the replies

Like Teager said bridging is only one part of the trade, so is hand/power tools, explosives, heavy equipment, water supply, water crossings.... and also add to the mix we are also expected to proficient in most of the same skills as infantry on top of all our skills....

I would suggest you find out when your local unit parades and go down and talk to the unit recruiter....

The emphasis on a particular activity will depend on what unit you are; each unit has some primary tasks that they are ordered to maintain a higher proficiency on (some have water supply, some bridging, some heavier on hvy eqpt. etc.) However, they all have to cover the basics: mobility, counter-mobility, survivability and basic infantry skills.
In 33 CER we do one and occasionally 2 bridges a year.
Where do you want to apply?

PanaEng said:
Where do you want to apply?

My guess is Toronto:

QOR vs 48th Highlanders ?? 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/118073/post-1353351.html#msg1353351

"So after a couple unanswered phone calls and voicemails to 32 brigade recruiting I'm wonder is it better to email them?"

mariomike said:
My guess is Toronto:

"So after a couple unanswered phone calls and voicemails to 32 brigade recruiting I'm wonder is it better to email them?"

Yep, Toronto, good detective work! Man it's tough to settle on a trade, so many cool jobs

mariomike said:
My guess is Toronto:

I don't have time to creep ppls posts for answers but lots to reply ;-)  (short msgs)

I know ppl in all the units - all good (the odd numbnuts but those are found on every unit)
If you are impatient and want to complete your trg quickly, go Infantry. (48th: Kilts +, enough said. QOR: jump Coy: +++ any other argument is invalid)
If you like more variety and have patience (long courses - scheduling problems) go Engineer - all the cool technical stuff with a bit of infantry sprinkled in there for your attention-grabbing hero shots

Chimo!

dece74,

Our past few exercises have been working toward the Summer exercise where we'll be working with 31 CER and 33 CER.

The last time we built a bridge was late last Fall, here in Toronto. Yes, it was mostly manual labour with multiple guys lifting as a team. As the above members mentioned, it's just one of the tasks we cover and develop throughout our training year.

32 CER:
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/32-combat-engineer-regiment/index.page

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help. Perhaps I can put you in touch with our unit recruiter if you're interested.

Leeema said:
dece74,

Our past few exercises have been working toward the Summer exercise where we'll be working with 31 CER and 33 CER.

The last time we built a bridge was late last Fall, here in Toronto. Yes, it was mostly manual labour with multiple guys lifting as a team. As the above members mentioned, it's just one of the tasks we cover and develop throughout our training year.

32 CER:
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/32-combat-engineer-regiment/index.page

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM and I'll try to help. Perhaps I can put you in touch with our unit recruiter if you're interested.

Hey thanks buddy, it's just so hard to pick a trade, Engineers sounds awesome but I don't want to be stuck doing labour/construction style jobs when other guys are off doing more 'army stuff' during training you know what I mean? Maybe it's a misplaced concern.

I'll shoot you a PM though

dece74 said:
Hey thanks buddy, it's just so hard to pick a trade, Engineers sounds awesome but I don't want to be stuck doing labour/construction style jobs when other guys are off doing more 'army stuff' during training you know what I mean?

These comparisons of the two may help you pick one:

Combat Engineer or Infantry
https://army.ca/forums/threads/34091.0
5 pages.

Switching to Infantry or staying as a Combat Engineer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109064.0
3 pages.

dece74 said:
Hey thanks buddy, it's just so hard to pick a trade, Engineers sounds awesome but I don't want to be stuck doing labour/construction style jobs when other guys are off doing more 'army stuff' during training you know what I mean? Maybe it's a misplaced concern.

Making trenches without shovels... I want to be a Combat Engineer  :nod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5RzqjKF4IU

dece74 said:

And you rather do sentry duty, guarding a gate, for days on end?
That's a big part of what the infantry does.

Chances are if there's infantry around a Combat Engineer isn't far. I would say a Combat Engineer is more destruction than construction. During my time in the sand box we broke and destroyed the bad guys stuff way more than we fixed anything and by broke I mean blew it up.

Having worked with Combat Engineers I can say they are a switched on bunch with a lot of varied tasks, not all glamorous and cool, but you will have an opportunity to learn many different skills including basic soldiering.

I've been stomping around with 31 CER for a couple of years now. I've gotten to dip my hands into a couple of engineer tasks. Last year our emphasis was on bridging, but we also did explosives training and assault boating. So far I've gotten to see a variety of training, and I've enjoyed most of it. If you want more "army" stuff then perhaps infantry might be more interesting for you.

dece74, I am also planning to join the Combat Engineers at 32 CER. My file is in progress and I am hoping to enroll this fall or sooner. Feel free to contact me if you want to shoot the crap, bounce around ideas, etc. I've done the tour of the unit, and asked a bunch of questions to the recruiters, so hopefully I can be of some help.

I was experiencing a similar dilemma as you regarding the choice of trade. First off, I made the decision to go NCM at this time because I wanted to be a bit more hands-on and do the grunt work with the guys (and hopefully some girls!) in the field. Just personal preference. As for leadership, I was informed there will be opportunities for that at higher ranks, beginning with Corporal.

Second, there are a bunch of trades available around the Greater Toronto Area, mostly Combat Arms trades. My two choices were infantry and combat engineers. I was looking at Queens Own Rifles for infantry because they are a designated parachute unit and it would've been pretty cool to get to jump once in a while, plus also do other infantry stuff of course. Not to mention the unit is closer to my home.

However, the engineers interested me for more reasons. I have technical background and enjoy technical work. Engineers seem to be employed in quite a variety of tasks - be jacks of all trades so to speak. Plus you still get to learn combat stuff, so there is still that "army" component. Altogether this sounded more along the lines of my interests.

And I believe engineers get to do EOD and can still take the parachute course - but I don't know how much of that happens in the Reserves. Maybe you really have to stand out to get sent on some cool courses - If someone knows more about this, please let us know!

Also, personal bit of advice. Ask yourself why you want to do this. If you visualize the bigger picture, it may help you clarify your decision on the choice of trade.

Good luck in your decision!

Teager said:

If you are talking about the Paladin Response they were stopped by bde/div. 

What about the annual winter exercise? I have a co-worker who used to be at 32 CER a few years ago and he said there is a week-long combat engineer exercise somewhere (outside of Ontario I believe) during winter holidays, and it's a good opportunity to go learn things, and apparently there's a ski resort nearby too. Do you guys know anything about that?

Back