• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves before Reg Infantry?

o AXE

Inactive
Reaction score
A bit of a backstory about me: I graduated university with a BA in Geography this spring, and am set on joining the infantry. I want to go in as an NCO to gain the experience I feel will make me a better officer should I go that route down the road. I know the waiting period (for infantry especially) can be long, so I am wondering if now would be a good time to join a Res unit. I went to school in BC but live in London, making it impossible to join the Res throughout my schooling. 4RCR is located right here in London and would be the ideal unit (granted there is a spot open). If given the choice, 3RCR is where I would want to end up.

From what I've read, joining the Res can be a good idea if you are likely going to wait a while to get into the Reg. My question is how difficult/long the CT process really is. Would it possibly be faster to not join the Res and go straight into Reg when I potentially hear about a job? Is the Reg infantry likely that long of a waiting period (>2 years)? Regardless, would the Res be worth the experience on my Reg application and trump the potential time spent waiting on the CT process?

Preciate the help.

a.  The recruiting process can be long and slow for either Reg or Res.

b.  The CT process can be long and slow.

c.  Starting as an NCO does not mean you can transfer to an Officer track at will. You can do it as you CT, or you can wait until you are given an opportunity, but it's not something to base your plan on.

d.  If you want to be a Reg Force infantry officer, start with that.

Thanks for the reply. So forget the whole officer thing and say I just want to end up in RegF infantry as an NCO. Is it possible to run both applications at the same time in case I get a reserve position first? Or if the CT transfer takes a while, too, is it just that much more time for me to wait if I accept a reserve position and then get offered a full time job right after?

I'm wondering if this is a possible situation (in basic terms and worst-case scenario): I wait 2 years until i get a reserve position. A month after that I get offered a RegF position, but now have to wait another year for it to go through as opposed to right away if I wasn't in the reserves.

I don't think you can apply for both Res and Reg.  IF you applied for and got Res you could apply for a Component Transfer later but...who knows if/when you'd get it.

Either way if you went Infantry you'd start off as a Pte not an NCO, or an Officer Cadet if you went the Officer route.

Perhaps talking to CFRC staff might help you decide what options are open and what one works best for you? 

Either way, best of luck!

No, it is not possible to run both applications at same time.....You have to make up your mind....One or the other, not both.

How many times has this been said now?

Trying to find short cuts in the system can and will screw you over. You need to;

1. decide if you want to go reserves or reg force.
2. decide if you want to join as an NCO or officer.
3. do it.

Thanks guys. And my original question was not necessarily applying to both, it was whether (whichever is faster) to apply to the reserves and then wait on a CT or just apply to reg force and wait.

For those who care, I'll see if there's anything available with the reserves, first. If not, I will apply to reg force.

My  :2c:.

I would join the reserves as an NCM first and see how you like it before you join full-time. If you still like the work after being in the reserves, you can apply as an officer (or if you are dead set on being an NCM for whatever reason, then CT).

I personally had the same situation (graduated uni now too), and I am glad I chose to join the reserves first. I am still a reservist, but now I know the difference between an NCM and an Officer better, and I no longer want to join full-time. There's a ton of jobs out there in the skilled trades or GIS work if you don't mind getting more education. Never choose the military because you may have seemingly been backed into a corner due to your degree (regardless of whether you have or you haven't). You've got tons of time, no need to rush anything.

Or conversely, join the Reg Force and if you don't like it do a CT to the Reserves or release.

1.  Going from NCM to Officer is not a guarantee.

2.  Going from Res to Reg is not a guarantee.

;)

Back