• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and the RCMP (and Other Civilian Police)

Good day,

I know there has been some talk in the past about RCMP joining the reserves and that in policy it is allowed however is there anyone who has done this? if so please email me. do you have to ask permission from NCO or OIC etc, do reserve units like having rcmp who cannot make every meeting/training session. Thanks. ebphinsucks@hotmail.com

I have an RCMP constable in my unit. As his primary job is patrolling etc, I have no issues on him not making every Tuesday parade.
He's former 2PPCLI who did his 3 years and decided to do the RCMP thing.

In my unit, we have several city police officers as well. All good troops and are respected by ALL ranks.

Yeah there are quite a few doing it. PM me and i'll fill you in, I am one of the two RCMP members who started this off over 8 years ago. I am currently parading and can give you an idea of how it is going.

Noneck
P.S. There is a series of threads on this topic.

NONECK....
Having watched this topic, amongst others you've posted around this issue, I'd like to tell you how proud I am of the fact that you have been one of the people responsible for the drastic changes that have taken place.

Not as though I am a touchy feely guy, but I'm glad to say I have known you for damn near 20 years. You're still a good soldier and a role model for our young. See ya round ya old codger.

Cheers.

Hello Everyone,

I have a general inquiry about being an RCMP member and also being a reservist in the Canadian forces. while doing some research on this forum as well as blueline I have come across this page: https://army.ca/forums/threads/110.0 in it, it is mentioned that as a member of the RCMP you are allowed to join the reserves. My question though is how practical of an option this actually is? Is this more open to those members who were already in the CAF but switched over to the RCMP? As an RCMP officer would you find time to take part in BMQ and all other subsequent training (seems unlikely to me..)? I ask because I have always had a desire to join the CAF, but I currently have an application into the RCMP. I would like to do both if at all possible as both have such incredible experiences! I have around 6 months left in my RCMP application if all continues to run smoothly and I (knock on wood) get accepted, meaning I'd finish up my last year of uni, have the summer and then leave in the fall. Would the reserves even be an option at this point?

I just want to thank anyone who can shed some light on this for me, it is very much appreciated

All the best!  :)

MatCan95 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a general inquiry about being an RCMP member and also being a reservist in the Canadian forces. while doing some research on this forum as well as blueline I have come across this page: https://army.ca/forums/threads/110.0 in it, it is mentioned that as a member of the RCMP you are allowed to join the reserves. My question though is how practical of an option this actually is? Is this more open to those members who were already in the CAF but switched over to the RCMP? As an RCMP officer would you find time to take part in BMQ and all other subsequent training (seems unlikely to me..)? I ask because I have always had a desire to join the CAF, but I currently have an application into the RCMP. I would like to do both if at all possible as both have such incredible experiences! I have around 6 months left in my RCMP application if all continues to run smoothly and I (knock on wood) get accepted, meaning I'd finish up my last year of uni, have the summer and then leave in the fall. Would the reserves even be an option at this point?

I just want to thank anyone who can shed some light on this for me, it is very much appreciated

All the best!  :)

I know a number of reservists who are RCMP. In every single case they were already reservists past their basic training when they got in with the RCMP.

If you succeed in joining the RCMP, you'll be off to Regina for six months, and then you'll be a rookie in a detachment somewhere. Depending on where you land you *may* be able to make a weekly training night 2 or 3 weeks out of every 4. That's IF you have the energy, IF you haven't decided to take (much more lucrative) overtime, IF you aren't stuck late at work working a dirty file that caught you late in the shift. It is possible to balance the two, but hard. What you won't get, though, is the RCMP cutting you loose reliably every second weekend for three and a half months for your Basic Military Qualification, and you won't get them cutting you loose for two full months in your first year or two of service to finish your basic training. It's difficult for RCMP members whoa re also reservists to get much time off for reserve career courses.

Without knowing your background or how likely it is to get in to the RCMP, put an application in for the reserves. Worst case you simply pull it. In the very possible event where you don't get in to the RCMP in the next couple years, maybe you can get your reserve basic training done and put a couple years in.

One other thing to realize is that a lot of RCMP detachments simply don't have any reserve presence nearby. If you get in and land in lower mainland BC, or close to a major city, sure, but you could end up quite far away from any major urban centre. The RCMP does a lot of remote policing.

I hope that helps. I'm absolutely confident in everything that I've said here. I applaud your desire to do both, and I wish you luck with whichever works out for you. Also, take anything you read on Blueline with a grain of salt. Some good knowledge there, but a bunch of the members are dicks to applicants. Don't let them scare you off.

In my opinion BRIHARD is about 50% correct here. Most if not all RCMP members that are serving in the PRes are either former PRes or Reg F. That allows them to pick up without loss of quals or sacrifice to their time off....if they are content to stay at their entry rank. I know personally of several really good candidates that had zero prior PRes service that tried to start from zero....all binned it before finishing BMQ due to the commitment. Here is where BRIHARD and I differ in opinion, It is not hard to get time off for career courses as long as you are willing to use a significant portion of your annual leave in addition to the annual 10 days of leave provided by the Federal Gov't for PRes training. I have managed to complete DP3A, DP3B, ILP and DP4 while serving as a member of the RCMP. A buddy of mine that is a Sapper MWO managed to go from MCpl to MWO in the Engineers while maintaining a very high tempo in covert RCMP unit.....if you know anything about Engineer career progression you will know that these are long courses and this is no mean feat!

So all that to say, if someone is considering a police and PRes career my advice is to get as much PRes training as possible done before you join. Ideally to PLQ and DP3A level. This goes for municipal police as well....their leave plans and shifting isn't that much different.

Noneck

noneck said:
This goes for municipal police as well....their leave plans and shifting isn't that much different.

I would guess that municipal employees are, perhaps, more likely to have a Reserve unit(s) nearby than some RCMP locations?

Municipal employees would also spend their career in that same municipality / PRes unit, if they remain with the same employer.

See also,

Shift Work and Reserve Training
OP:
bishop said:
If anyone here works the Compressed Work Week schedule (same as Toronto Police), your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Back