• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Weekend BMQ ( merged )

DLord said:
Lincoln and Welland in St Catharines..

Funny how the main armoury isn't in the name at all

The Regiment wasn't named for the location of its infrastructure; it was named for the COUNTIES it was raised in. Might I humbly suggest you speak to your Sect Comd / 2ic about some Regt'l hist / guidance. Those worthies should be more than prepared to enlighten you!

Cheers

SB

This may have taken a couple days to put up, but with it being exam period and all I think you understand. Here is my recap of weekend 3:

Night 1
Unlike the other two weekends, when we arrived we weren’t immediately taken into the shacks. Turns out that the course warrant wanted to do a “little” kit inspection with us. This really showed to those who weren’t already doing so, the importance of bringing every single piece of issued kit (along with all the pt gear you are required) and labeled each and every individual item. It actually turns out that a large portion of the group (probably almost everybody) left at least one item at home. A couple suggestions to conquer this problem is to have a spot in your house/apartment/garage/basement that you throw only your army gear. For example I have a corner in the basement where it all sits in between weekends, with a pole strapped to the rafters so I can hang up my tunics and jacket. I don’t mix up my kit with my civy clothes when I do my wash, and I have a separate ablutions kit that I use just for BMQ. Another thing to do is get everything ready for the weekend the night before. There were quite a few excuses thrown out there about rushing out the door to catch a cab and forgetting shoes, or the other socks were in the wash, etc. But the moral of the story is, if you prepare ahead of time, when the s**t hits the fan you are ready. So the kit inspection took a long time. We had a break in the middle to get a little lecture from the other BMQ course warrant about the importance of putting up with the jacking up, and if we can’t than the army might not be for us and all that jazz. I think we ended up finishing with the inspection around midnight or so. However, we still had to carry our rucksacks and duffels back to the shacks, and learn how to make our bed properly, with hospital corners and all. I learned a very helpful tip from our marching NCO that night for making the bed. Instead of just tucking the sheet/blanket in from the side, when you are making your bed (with your buddy of course, because you always do everything together) have one person actually underneath the bed and pulling the sheets, through the springs, taught. This will get rid of all the wrinkles and make your beds look perfect. We hit the hay around 0200 hrs or so, maybe 0230, and got our much needed 2.5-3 hours of sleep.

Day 1
We started off the day with some good old interval training. I forgot to mention that I also had the honour of being a marker. I had the chance to enjoy some good old fun of running to the front of the group, as we were in the middle of an interval of faster pace, while everybody was dragging behind. I must have sprinted like 300 meters to get to the front because everybody was so gaggled up. We broke it up in the middle with some sprints/pushups/situps/squats/and tricep dips. Then we did more intervals back to the shacks. Our inspection that morning was quite a mess. It turns out that our section seems to have an awesome section commander and second in command, because are good at giving it to us when something is out of place. Talking to the other recruits, they seem happy to not have as tough of staff as we do. Personally, I appreciate having the good MBdr that tears our room to shreds, ridicules us when we miss a button, and the Sgt who gets us to shout at our section senior because he has a stain on his shirt. I think it builds character being able to put up with that stress, and that’s one of the many reasons why we are there. Pretty much the whole day was spent in class. We had lectures on stress, suicide, CF policies and what not. We also had the chance of meeting the CSM of Battle School (I hope I didn’t mess that up), and the RSM for Connaught taught a couple of the lectures. Most important though was the touching question period that we had with a couple of staff about coping with stressors and friends and family after tours of duty, and such. It really emphasized the comradeship that is place within the CF culture and how it is important to share with each other feelings/emotions and to not bottle it all up. The beginning of the night started with some drill review, and we also learned about the most recent casualties in the beach. Sgt had us show our respects, and we paid a moment of silence for them. We then kicked off what I like to call… “Inspection Extravaganza.”  We spent pretty much the whole night going through a series of inspections. I think that there were a few motives for such an exercise. One of them being to make sure that there is good communication from the course senior, to the section seniors, and on to the rest of the recruits. But the biggest lesson for everybody out there is don’t be a blade. That means don’t f%^k your buddy. Make sure that if you are going to have everything ready, than so will your buddy. Otherwise it is your fault for them screwing up. We went through everything from ablutions inspection, foot inspection, tac vest inspection, combats inspection, bed inspection….the list goes on.

Day 2
We got about 4 hours or so of sleep that night, it was nice. Here I have to stress the importance of stretching, and keeping an eye on signs coming from your body. I developed a pretty good runners knee on Saturday night. We did intervals the day before, I was a marker, it was cold out, and we were in a prone position (sitting) for most of the day. So by night-time my ITD band was real tight, and it hurt. So it is extremely important that if you have something that hurts, or is sore, or tight…go see the appropriate person (in my case a physiotherapist). I saw a physio after the weekend was over and am now on the path to correcting it, it feels a lot better, the swelling is down, and I’m not stressed out about it anymore (it’s not just a physical issue, injuries will stress you out mentally as well). Inspection was crazy again this morning, our section had our rooms torn to pieces yet again (I love having my toothbrush thrown in the dirty corner) and got a good yelling. We did a little bit of drill Sunday morning, learning mark time at the quick march and what not before heading off for our two lunches and in class lectures. That’s right we had two lunches, the course staff had a mix up in timings and some people got through the line quick enough to eat most of their plate the first time. Classes this day were mostly about the profession of arms and ethics, then we got the fun time of crossing off the weekends we have completed. Sgt gave us the good news that we get our rifles next weekend, which is very exciting. We also got out of there a little early, around 1600 hrs, which was Sgt’s Christmas present to us.

PS. I’m not going to say much about the little discussion that was in this thread about berets, but that was insulting what you said, and I hope you learn what it means to wear one during your course.

Thank you for your info on your course experiences so far.  I am just trying to see if the army is right for me.  I really appreciate the time you have taken to give me a heads up about what to expect.  I know I will use some of the tips/experiences when and if I go on my basic.  One last thing, what is a "course warrant" and who is he?

ive been in the army for almost 2 years now and nothing beats my bmq 0701 course. we had one of the hardest recruit courses that was run and a sgt allen was the course WO.  that was an experience i do NOT want to relive.  im just comparing courses and your course there dredre seems like a walk in the park.  your course WO seems a little soft.

I'm sure every course is different, and that their respective course warrants handle things differently. I'll let you keep in mind that what I express here is just snippets from the whole weekend that we experience. As well the experience may be harder for some, and easier to handle for others. But I will not admit that our course warrant is by any way soft.

For joinreservesdec08, the course warrant is basically the guy in charge of the happenings with your course. I may have botched that definition, but it is just my take on his role...correct me if I am wrong.

coldstrobes86 said:
ive been in the army for almost 2 years now and nothing beats my bmq 0701 course. we had one of the hardest recruit courses that was run and a sgt allen was the course WO.  that was an experience i do NOT want to relive.  im just comparing courses and your course there dredre seems like a walk in the park.  your course WO seems a little soft.

Stop the presses.  I'm sure Grandpa told me that his 3904 was the hardest.  But hey, you've been in for two years now so you must know.

coldstrobes86 said:

So all those guys that went through Cornwallis had a cake walk then.

I THINK NOT.

But it begs the question, why is your corner dirty on a BMQ? ;D

You got me there ;). It's almost as if they try to set us up to fail, and to see how we handle the failures...

Really, they never told you to sweep/mop? :eek:

Holy crap the army has gotten soft...

dredre said:
It's almost as if they try to set us up to fail,

One day, when you are all grown up and have some TI, you will realize that the only person that set you up to fail is yourself.

coldstrobes86 said:
I know who he is, and I probably wouldn't want it either, but you realize that your course was probably easy compared to a lot of other ones, too.

Ha! lol! sure if grandpa was infantry!

nfld g: i asked my stepbrother about cornwallis, hes been in about 22 years. are you saying that is where you were trained?

aviator: i see you laughing!

coldstrobes86 said:
nfld g: i asked my stepbrother about cornwallis, hes been in about 22 years. are you saying that is where you were trained?

Holy Bat phone no! But I've heard the stories of it and there are many members here who have gone through Cornwallis.

coldstrobes86 said:

To sum up, Cse WOs and such are not meant to be AH's they are there to teach you basic soldiering.

A fair, firm and approachable attitude by all SNCOs to me, is the mininum standard accepted. Thats not being SOFT. One catches more flys with honey than shyte. Anyone who deliberatly treats troops like scum and is 'hard-corps' for no reason is a liability. However one should never mistake kindness for weakness, and discipline comes as required, and is dished out accordingly. Maintaining 'the standard set' promotes teamwork, and thats what the Army is all about. We are only as strong as our weakest link.

With good healthy training comes positive re-inforcement, pride, loyalty, personal discipline, excellent morale, eager troops keen to learn and retention, which is the key especially with the Militia.

To start comparing courses by having a 'pissing contest' with each other is foolishness. You are not on his course, and he was not on yours.

My 2 cents.

A former instructior om many recruit, leadership, and trades courses, for regular and reserve forces in two armies.

OWDU

Back