• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Engineers on deployment

P

P Kaye

Question: how easy is it for a reserve engineer to get an international deployment, compared to a reserve infanteer?  How would this differ for officers/NCMs?
I would suspect that engineers, being more specialized, would have fewer positions available on most of the peacekeeping operations, but maybe this is incorrect.  Or perhaps it does not matter what trade you are when you ask for a deployment?

There are too many variables to answer this.  Every mission is different (and often there are differences from one rotation to the next) in the scale of reserve deployment.  Opportunities are often linked to being in the same LFA that is tasked with generating the TF.

An engineer could go over in an "engineer position", an "any CbtA" position, or an "any" position.

There are a lot of CIMIC Positions available for Op Athena

The Mine NCO of 11 Fd Sqn, deployed in Kabul on Op ATHENA R2, is a Res Cbt Engr.

Cheers

P Kaye said:
Question: how easy is it for a reserve engineer to get an international deployment, compared to a reserve infanteer?   How would this differ for officers/NCMs?
I would suspect that engineers, being more specialized, would have fewer positions available on most of the peacekeeping operations, but maybe this is incorrect.   Or perhaps it does not matter what trade you are when you ask for a deployment?

I'll wade in here and say that based on my experience reserve engineers have just as much an opportunity to deploy as a reserve infantry soldier.  You are more likely to be successful if you are a Spr (Pte) or Cpl than if you are a Sr NCO/WO or Officer.  Reason being?  There are a lot more positions available on every deployment.  Also there is the skill/experience factor. I know this will get the hackles up of all the P Res Sr NCOs but unless you have been doing continuous Cl B/Cl C service no one will ever equate a Reg F Sr NCO who does the job, day in and day out, with a part time P Res Sr NCO.  Exceptions will apply, but I am talking about the average.

S6 out.

Back