• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQs not running in summer?

stukirkpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been an untrained private since the start of February :warstory: and I have just been informed that there are possibly no BMQ courses running this summer. :confused: Is this for the whole of Canada, or just my region? (My unit is part of 38 brigade group). If not, is there any chance of getting on a course taking place in a different region?

Thanks for any help,

Pte Kirkpatrick

I‘m suprised at that.

I‘m taking my BMQ and SQ here in Alberta with 41 CBG. I was sworn in at the beginning of this month and they said I was probably one of the first ten guys to get in. I think they take about 55 guys per course, and I don‘t know if they are offering more than one course here.

I know that in my unit, the guys who have already taken their BMQ and are trying to get SQ/QL3 wrote memos to see if they were enrolled in the courses they wanted.

I find it hard to believe that they are not running any BMQ courses. Maybe only a few people have signed u new in your area and they don‘t have enough to run the course.

I know here (39 CBG) we‘re running several BMQ/SQ courses in the area. If there‘s none at all being run in your area, then you‘ll probably get spaces allotted in some of the WATC ones. If you‘re in Thunder Bay, you‘re still part of western area, and may be able to get on a course in Wainwright... assuming they‘re running them there.

thanks for the replies!

hopefully the lack of BMQs is just regional, and I am willing to take a BMQ in any part of the world where they are running one :cdn:
...except for Antarctica...

I am told that I will receive more information next Tuesday, so heres to hoping.

ninty 9, I have my pre-enrolement evaluations on may 6th, do you think I can still get in for BMQ this summer?, I also would do it with 41 CBG

What are pre-enrollment evaluations?

Is that another name for the Medical, Aptitude Test, Interview and the CF Fitness Test which are part of the application process?

I assume so, because my process to enrol (join) was:

Recruiting Centre Stuff:
Application
Fitness Test
Medical Checkup
Interview
Aptitude test

Once all this was finally accomplished (took about 5 months from the day I thought - hmmm, ill join the army reserve! - ) I was given an enrolment date, in which I was sworn in, and began drawing pay that very day :cool:

Therefore, to answer your question simply....yes

Soldier in Waiting:

Thats a tough question. And to be truthful, I really don‘t know. I have no idea on how many courses are running and how many people have registered.

I can offer a guess though:

If your getting your stuff done on May 6, then that means it‘ll take at least 3 weeks or so for your stuff to come back from Borden Ont. from that date. So you‘re looking at the end of May at the earliest to be sworn in if there are no problems with your file or you (like medical problems they want you to talk to your doctor about) and the background check doesn‘t take too long.

So all in all I really doubt it. Maybe if a BMQ is offered in August you might make that. I think what the army recommends is to start the application process at the beginning of March to get in courses for the summer.

I guess all you can do is phone the CFRC and see what they say.

If you don‘t get on the Summer course, you‘ll probably have to take it on weekends in Sept. I think you have to take BMQ within 1 year of being sworn in so waiting for newt summer wouldn‘t work for you.

Anyway, good luck.

By the way, what unit are you joining?

Taken from the Cal High site:

Full-time

The Army Reserve in Alberta is offering fulltime employment from 5 July 03 to 22 August 03 for new applicants to the Reserve. The employment will consist of Basic Military training and a Drivers course or Soldiers Qualification.

Deadline If you are interested in joining the Reserve and wish summer employment you will have to start the applicant process by 1 March and complete the enrolment process in a timely manner. The early you apply the better since their are only 55 vacancies on the course. The course will be filled on a first come basis.

Part-time

The Army Reserve in Alberta is offering part-time employment continually. The Basic Military training qualification course will start on 1 Oct 03 and 1 April 04. Applicants are encouraged to start their enrolment process a minimum of 3 months prior to the start of these course.

If you require further information or have a question contact a 41 CBG Recruiter near you.

ninty 9, I‘m applying to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, you?

By the way ninty9, the website that you found your information is rather confusing, if you apply for BMQ, it‘s considered full time, right?

That‘s what I understand from the website. You‘d be employed full-time if you were doing BMQ wouldn‘t you?

What they mean by full time is BMQ is offered in a 4 week chunk during the summer. Part time is on weekends for 10 weeks in a row.

When you talk to your recruiter and fill out some of the finilization forms, they will ask you if you want to take BMQ and SQ on weekends, or full time during the summer.

Now this may be different if they say that your too late for the summer courses, then you might have to take the weekend course in October or something to that effect.

In my case, I had a choice. I was sworn in at the beginning of April and immediatley began parading with my unit. I was asked if I wanted Full time or Part time BMQ and SQ. I said Full time during the summer as I ahed just missed the part time course on weekends by about a week.

From what i understand, I‘ll be in Lethbridge for my BMQ in July and in Waneright for SQ in August. Then next year i‘ll take my QL3 which is my infantry course. I think they only offer that course fulltime in the summer.

And i‘m with the Calgary Highlanders. Infantry just like you.

Hope that helps.

you already began parading with your unit? So, do you get your rank as soon as you are sworn in?

As soon as your sworn in you‘re PTE Untrained.

Once you complete BMQ and SQ you are Private Trained and are raised to teh second pay level.

Once you do your infantry course your pay rises again.

Actually, there is no such rank as private untrained and private trained.

It‘s really private recruit and private. ;)

Hmmm... BMQ and Drivers course. That doesn‘t sound bad at all, considering how many privates want drivers course. :p

38 CBG is running BMQs this summer. I not sure where, but Winnipeg and Regina for sure.

My warrant told me about the possible Regina/Winnipeg BMQ courses. Hopefully I will find out more from him this week. :)

I‘m in the 39 CBG, and I got my BMQ date‘s an location(SeaForth Armoury)

success! confirmation of the regina BMQ/SQ course has come in today, and my name has been sent away.

thanks for the info guys

Back