• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQs not running in summer?

stukirkpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been an untrained private since the start of February :warstory: and I have just been informed that there are possibly no BMQ courses running this summer. Is this for the whole of Canada, or just my region? (My unit is part of 38 brigade group). If not, is there any chance of getting on a course taking place in a different region?

Thanks for any help,

Pte Kirkpatrick

There have been a lot of problems getting instructors for any courses this summer because the forces have been spread relatively thin...but as far as I know THERE WILL BE BMQ courses this summer.

I realize this thread hasn't been used in years but the title matches my question perfectly, so no need to redo it. I was informed that there were no BMQ courses running in Ontario this summer? Does anyone know if this is correct. Also if that were the case, could I attend a BMQ out of province if I requested to do so?

I appreciate the feedback

There are a lot of things flying around..I read somewhere on here that they were going to do BMQ at local armouries, and when I talked to the local recruiter he said they might be doing the res BMQ locally. If not then I think it will be a CFB Shilo, which is out of province for me but thats where BMQ usually is

ONT said:
I realize this thread hasn't been used in years but the title matches my question perfectly, so no need to redo it. I was informed that there were no BMQ courses running in Ontario this summer? Does anyone know if this is correct. Also if that were the case, could I attend a BMQ out of province if I requested to do so?

I appreciate the feedback

The same thing happened last year. Did they offer "retention training"?

Hang in there. If you have the opportunity to do some "BMQ-like courses"; do it. It will only help when you actually do go on course and it's a paycheck. Also, you can meet some guys from your Regiment. Be warned though: you will still have to go on BMQ.

There are no Army Reserve BMQs in the summer.  That is national direction, so that instructors can be used to instruct on higher courses (SQ, DP1 and beyond) in the summer.

Army Reserve BMQs are to be run in the Sept-May timeframe, generally on a part-time basis (with some co-op programs in Ontario).

(Edit to reflect that this is Army Reserve only)

dapaterson said:
There are no Reserve BMQs in the summer.  That is national direction, so that instructors can be used to instruct on higher courses (SQ, DP1 and beyond) in the summer.

BMQs are to be run in the Sept-May timeframe, generally on a part-time basis (with some co-op programs in Ontario).
I've known guys who've done BMQ in the summer months before? Maybe it was May though...So with that being said can I request a BMQ course of of province for May if one happens to arise?

I know ONT is with a militia unit and the answers provided are correct, there are no militia BMQ courses this summer.

That being said, to avoid confusion if NavRes recruits are reading this thread, NRTD Borden has two 10 week BMQs starting in April and six 11 week BMQs (2 Franco, 4 Anglo) starting in July. Your NRD training cell will have informed you that you are loaded onto these courses.

Army National Direction is no Army Reserve BMQs in the summer.  Full stop.  Not just Ontario, but all nine other provinces (and soon the NWT as well).  Training is centrally managed, decentralized execution for the Army.  So there should not be BMQs offered in other provinces - they're subject to the same rules.

That direction has been out for about two years now.  One would hope that it's slowly working its way down to units (and that COs are actually paying attention to what they have been told).

(And Kratz:  I'm going to go back and amend my earlier post.  Thanks).

That wasn't the news I was hoping for. Is there anywhere that would tell the location of all BMQ courses starting in May? If so I would really like to know, so I could send a memo to my CoC requesting to get on it, I would hate to have to wait until the fall.

For Reserve BMQ's they will not send you out of area to complete (too much money wasted if you decide to drop out).

This is odd because the unit i'm joining under is with 32 Bde. and i just completed my CFAT today and was told by a recruiter that they will be able to get me on a BMQ in the summer if all goes well with paperwork medical and fitness.

Could this just be a recruiter not knowing about the reserves or is this true because as of today it is the beginning of the fiscal training year? (I.E. They got that information today) ???

Looking at the Army's national course calendar (DWAN only) I see no BMQs scheduled in 32 CBG this summer, only BMQ-L (essentially a BMQ part 2, also known as SQ).  The next BMQ on the schedule appears as a part-time course starting in the fall.

Check with the recuriter about the course.

The only BMQ course running this spring/summer in LFCA is for BAND ONLY.

BMQ  (CG) ( Band soldiers ) CG 20-Apr-09 15-May-09

I notice that both LFWA and SQFT are still running BMQ courses in July/August to catch those High School students. They are still on the National Calendar for 09/10.

Also if you are Aboriginal you can always get on a Bold Eagle BMQ.

Alright guys, thanks for the info. Ill be sure to call the recruiters to figure out whats going on.

charlesm said:
I notice that both LFWA and SQFT are still running BMQ courses in July/August to catch those High School students. They are still on the National Calendar for 09/10.

::)

BMQ or BMQ (L) ?

How many posts now, state that BMQ (L) is what used to be called the SQ Crse?

And YES; if you are an aboriginal person, you can get onto the Bold Eagle and Raven programs.

George,

PRes BMQ DP1 Res 2 A 0794 103673 AIOY 0168 WA013 Summer -92 2-Jul-09 31-Jul-09 30 21

They are also running BMQ-L which is the SQ.

charlesm said:
George,

PRes BMQ DP1 Res 2 A 0794 103673 AIOY 0168 WA013 Summer -92 2-Jul-09 31-Jul-09 30 21

They are also running BMQ-L which is the SQ.

Could someone break this down into English? I can't tell if its a good or bad thing for me. lol

Back