• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res BIQ

S

Slanker

hi everyone....

I am taking the reserve co-op program right now and am about half way thru my SQ. yesterday they gave us the course dates for BIQ and gave us until tuesday to decide. In the beginning i was just here for the program but know im wondering if i should stay in the reserves and do my BIQ.

Could you guys give some insoght as to what summer reserve BIQ is like. What were your expeirences? did you have fun?

Reserve BIQ isn‘t too bad. last summer we learned the M203, and 60mm mortar. we did the AFV recognition test, navigation, crossing obstacles, platoon attacks, raids and ambushes. We also did a day of water obstalces, which was basically a day to go swimming. it was the best day I‘ve ever had on course.

My instructors say it will be the hardest thing i ever do... how true is it?

I thought you did all the extra weapons work on SQ?

Or on BIQ do you learn infantry specific weapons (like the m203 you mentioned)?

I‘m not sure if it‘s the hardest thing you‘ll ever do. I‘ll admit that i was very happy when I finished and the bus left wainwright. that felt great.

Most weapons are taught on SQ, except for the 203 and 60mm. I have heard rumors that course content is changing, so you never know what you will learn. As a reserve infanteer, I learned c7, c9, c6, carl gustav, grenades, m203, 60mm mortar, and the "c19 remote detonated defensive device" (claymore mine)although I didn‘t get to live fire the last one.

My last question is do you get the weekends off? or do you get any time off?... and my course runs from late june to late july. they said after the course is done they would find us a job to do there... would i have to stay at wainwright or could i go home for the rest of the summer?

you should get most weekends off. It‘ll depend on how inspections go during the week. Last summer there were no classes planned for the weekend, but if inspection didn‘t go well, we‘d clean for most of saturday, and be inspected again after lunch. We kind of got evening off. there was nothing scheduled, but we‘d spend all evening polishing boots, cleaning weapons, studying for tests, cleaning rooms, practising weapons drills...etc. I‘d occasionally have time to make a quick phone call home.

I don‘t know about after. I went home when BIQ was over, but that was at the end of August. It will probably be your choice if you want to stay for an extra month.

I don‘t think I‘ve met any 16 year olds on course, but there were a bunch of 17 year olds. Are you with the Cameron Highlanders or the Royal Winnipeg Rifles?

If you are doing your BMQ on weekends (not in the summer) then you should get 1-2 weekends off on the course.

I have no idea how much time you get off in the summer.

Originally posted by spacelord:
[qb] you should get most weekends off. It‘ll depend on how inspections go during the week. Last summer there were no classes planned for the weekend, but if inspection didn‘t go well, we‘d clean for most of saturday, and be inspected again after lunch. We kind of got evening off. there was nothing scheduled, but we‘d spend all evening polishing boots, cleaning weapons, studying for tests, cleaning rooms, practising weapons drills...etc. I‘d occasionally have time to make a quick phone call home.

I don‘t know about after. I went home when BIQ was over, but that was at the end of August. It will probably be your choice if you want to stay for an extra month. [/qb]
Are you talking about BMQ or BIQ? I was hoping most of this BS would be done and over when I finish my BMQ next weekend.

I did BMQ on weekends, and we went home each night, as a result, we had little to no cleaning. for me at least, SQ and BIQ involved much more menial tasks.

Right on, Mike. The Camerons are my second favourite unit. Last summer 1/2 of my section was camerons and they were all good guys.

Hey guys,
I‘ve finished my application and should be going off to my BMQ this summer, so please excuse my ignorance on this matter. I assume BIQ stands for Basic Infantry Qualification. Will I be doing this as well this summer, after my BMQ (I‘m joining the Black Watch, in Montreal, if that makes any difference)? I figured this would be the right thread to ask this question in. Either way, good luck with your training Mike, I hope it goes well.

Does anyone like to add their experiences for Reg or Res BIQ during, if so add it below and if it covers all the POs for the most part I‘ll add it to the Anthology.

alpha if ur still w/ the PLF for your BIQ you should have tons of fun

Kyle, if you are only doing the ‘standard‘ summer months (july-august) then you won‘t have time to do your BIQ. After the BMQ you do the SQ, which gives you a taste of infantry life, with machine guns, offensive/defensive tactics etc...

BMQ/SQ takes 2 months to do, so you may need to wait a year before your BIQ. Thats what I have to do :(

edit - SQ = soldier qualification, and was formerly taught as part of infantry training, but is now taught to all army trades.

Ah, ok, thanks. I had (still have?) no idea about what order courses are done in. I assume SQ = Soldier Qualification?

Look at me, I‘m slowly turning the subject of this thread on myself. My apologies Mike, I should be trying to answer YOUR questions.

Getting back to the original question, if you enjoyed BMQ and the military way of life I‘d say go for it. There aren‘t that many jobs where as a 16 year old you can make as much as you can make in the reserves.

Back