• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Atlesst Korean would arrive on time, on budget and not be back in the yard within 6 months with defects
On time, but they have had their share of issues with build quality as well.

On time, but they have had their share of issues with build quality as well.

True but it sounds like this was a new design, these SK subs already have 3 built, so teething pain should be minimal

Any new NON US or UK submarine built for Canada is likely going to have enough foreign systems inside it that you very easily could get issues with integration and such, there is always the potential for teething issues for any procurement.
FIFY

Seems SK has a non-VLS design already

DSME has offered a 3,000-tonne variant of the KSS-III, known as the DSME-3000 to the Indian Navy, under the latter's Project-75 (India) (P-75I) submarine procurement initiative.[60] The DSME-3000 is noted to be quite similar to the KSS-III, featuring a displacement of about 3,300 t, with a length measuring 83.5 m (273 ft 11 in) and a beam measuring 9.7 m (31 ft 10 in).[61] The DSME-3000 was first displayed to the public at the 2021 convention of the "International Maritime Defense Industry Exhibition" (MADEX), held at Busan, South Korea.[60]

The DSME-3000 will be equipped with lithium-ion batteries and a fuel-cell powered AIP system, as on the KSS-III; however, the variant being offered to India lacks the K-VLS cells, which are standard on both Batch-I and Batch-II submarines being built for the Republic of Korea Navy.[60]

I would assume Canada would want VLS cells for the subs. They can launch a lot of different things from strike length VLS.

Any submarine built for Canada is likely going to have enough foreign systems inside it that you very easily could get issues with integration and such, there is always the potential for teething issues for any procurement.
So MAYBE IF the GoC is going to buy them, at least buy them from an ally. Unless, of course, the allies don't trust you.

So MAYBE IF the GoC is going to buy them, at least buy them from an ally. Unless, of course, the allies don't trust you.
If the 'Allies' don't trust you, can you really call them an 'Ally' or just a country that from time to time has interests aligned with your own?

If the 'Allies' don't trust you, can you really call them an 'Ally' or just a country that from time to time has interests aligned with your own?
Alliances are funny things. Countries don't have friends - they have similar interests. Our interest seems to have gone in a different direction than that of Australia, US, UK and NZ.

Alliances are funny things. Countries don't have friends - they have similar interests. Our interest seems to have gone in a different direction than that of Australia, US, UK and NZ.
"March of the Volunteers" plays softly in the background

Canadian interests...

Canada’s closest allies only build Nuke boats now because the rows required from them for longer range patrolling and under ice work require a nuke boat.
Canada however is apparently the only one in step in the marching troop…

Climate change and virtue signaling......
Convenient excuses for useful idiots.

China pumps more carbon into the atmosphere in an hour via manufacturing than Canada has in a year, even with carbon taxing.

Additionally, virtue signaling falls flat when you cozy up to regimes that have blatant human rights abuses on the weekly.

I would assume Canada would want VLS cells for the subs. They can launch a lot of different things from strike length VLS.
VLS in a sub is so "UnCanadian". Thankfully it seems the SK already have designs with and without. If we got a SK or Japanese designed and built sub, I be happy.

Convenient excuses for useful idiots.

China pumps more carbon into the atmosphere in an hour via manufacturing than Canada has in a year, even with carbon taxing.

Additionally, virtue signaling falls flat when you cozy up to regimes that have blatant human rights abuses on the weekly.
If you believe CO2 taxing and limiting is about climate change I have a bridge to sell you.

I was looking at naval news and this was there

Maybe, might could?

One thing that both the Japanese and the South Koreans have going for them is the CPTPP - South Korea has applied.

Trade agreements demand a degree of reciprocity. We sell our stuff to you. We buy your stuff from you.

We have been trying to sell our stuff to South Korea and Japan for a long time. Particularly agricultural products. Cheese for Subs would be an interesting trade.

Of course both the Japanese and the South Koreans have said what they really want is our dirt and our trees. Iron, Lithium, Cobalt, Nickel, Coal, Oil and Gas. And Uranium.

Which is our precious leader willing to sell?

Back