• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day: National holiday?/"Veterans' Day"? (merged)

Remembrance Day should be a National Holiday?

  • Yes

    Votes: 72 62.1%
  • No

    Votes: 38 32.8%
  • Undecided

    Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Don't care

    Votes: 3 2.6%

  • Total voters
    116

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
61
Points
530
Arbor Memorial video.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=remembrance+day+video&&view=detail&mid=4B3D110C8E984DF4DFE44B3D110C8E984DF4DFE4&&FORM=VDRVSR
 

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,806
Points
940
My daughter doing us proud, (also dad showing off daughter)  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfG5HJWJ8wg
 

Lance Wiebe

Sr. Member
Reaction score
3
Points
230
Colin P said:
My daughter doing us proud, (also dad showing off daughter)  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfG5HJWJ8wg

Very well done! I certainly don't blame you one bit for showing off your daughter.
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
382
Points
1,130
Colin P said:
My daughter doing us proud, (also dad showing off daughter)  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfG5HJWJ8wg

That was wonderful!
 

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,254
Points
1,010
Colin P said:
My daughter doing us proud, (also dad showing off daughter)  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfG5HJWJ8wg

Colin,

That was awesome. Congrats to her for her poise and to you for raising and mentoring such an outstanding, aware young lady. BZ.
 

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
607
Points
1,040
This year is an outlier, but normally it's cold and crappy on Remembrance day. With the kids being at school, they actually do a local ceremony that they participate in, and is suitable for their comprehension level. It's also inside, so they can pay attention and appreciate it. That's a lot harder to do when they are little, can't see anything, and can't hear most of the ceremony, while being cold and bored.

Most places here in Ottawa open late/close for the ceremony, so no one typically has a hard time getting to the ceremony. Turnout is really high, with lots of young people there, so don't think we need a holiday to increase participation, and will probably do the opposite.

Also, think we do a reasonably good job remembering it's not a celebration of war; it's about people dying or being wounded/damaged on both sides, and usually for stupid reasons resulting from pointless power grabs and failures of diplomacy. Walking through the German WWI graves and seeing a bunch of dead 18-21 year olds was just as bad as walking through the same allied graves for me. That's not something we should have a holiday for IMHO.
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
391
Points
930
Navy_Pete said:
This year is an outlier, but normally it's cold and crappy on Remembrance day. With the kids being at school, they actually do a local ceremony that they participate in, and is suitable for their comprehension level. It's also inside, so they can pay attention and appreciate it. That's a lot harder to do when they are little, can't see anything, and can't hear most of the ceremony, while being cold and bored.

Most places here in Ottawa open late/close for the ceremony, so no one typically has a hard time getting to the ceremony. Turnout is really high, with lots of young people there, so don't think we need a holiday to increase participation, and will probably do the opposite.

Also, think we do a reasonably good job remembering it's not a celebration of war; it's about people dying or being wounded/damaged on both sides, and usually for stupid reasons resulting from pointless power grabs and failures of diplomacy. Walking through the German WWI graves and seeing a bunch of dead 18-21 year olds was just as bad as walking through the same allied graves for me. That's not something we should have a holiday for IMHO.

Agree 100%. If we make it a holiday, next thing you'll see is "GET YOUR REMEMBRANCE DAY DOOR CRASHERS HERE!!!"
No bloody way, its a moment in time to reflect on the futility of war and remember the ones who served and weren't able to come home be it from the battlefield or from the training field.

 

Gunnar

Sr. Member
Reaction score
28
Points
380
I remember working at a bank years ago, and being asked by someone in November:  "So, what did you do on the long weekend?"  I said, "What long weekend?"  They said, "we just had the day off."  I said, "oh, that.  I was at the cenotaph".

I do miss working at the bank in November tho....got a chance to round-robin all the Remembrance Day ceremonies in the GTA.  Some solemn, some with music, some with flybys in the missing man formation.  Some perfunctory performances by politicians who don't get it.  But I went every year.  I had the day off for a reason.
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
382
Points
1,130
I find this interactive map interesting and informative,

Mapping Canada’s war dead, house by house
https://globalnews.ca/news/3852998/canada-poppy-map/
 

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
7
Points
530
FSTO said:
Agree 100%. If we make it a holiday, next thing you'll see is "GET YOUR REMEMBRANCE DAY DOOR CRASHERS HERE!!!"
No bloody way, its a moment in time to reflect on the futility of war and remember the ones who served and weren't able to come home be it from the battlefield or from the training field.
I'm pretty sure if that was going to be an issue,  you'd be seeing that happening already. The only places where Nov 11th isn't a provincial holiday are ON and PQ. Although is isn't a full holiday in MB, most businesses must be closed from 0900 hrs - 1300 hrs.
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
382
Points
1,130
Perhaps General Eisenhower said it best, “The American soldier might not have known what he was fighting for, but after seeing the concentration camps, he knew what he was fighting against.”
 

kratz

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
46
Points
630
Today's ceremony in Lower Sackville, NS was much smaller and proceed much quicker than traditionally.

About 200 people total. Everyone had masks and were well spaced out. I found many of the changes welcome, but odd and a bit jarring from normal.

We were requested to be be there to provide first aid, if needed.
Otherwise the RCL, media ect effectively conveyed the message to stay home and watch virtually.

The branch is closed after the service, to ensure COVID restrictions are followed.
 

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
397
Points
910
I did like that for the national service in Ottawa they pre-laid the majority of wreaths before the parade. That is a tradition we should continue there is no reason for Bob's convenience store and local 123 to be laying wreaths while there are people on parade.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
2,418
Points
890
dangerboy said:
I did like that for the national service in Ottawa they pre-laid the majority of wreaths before the parade. That is a tradition we should continue there is no reason for Bob's convenience store and local 123 to be laying wreaths while there are people on parade.

Local 123, the Ladies Auxiliary for 123, the Bingo club for 123, the 60 plus Go Getters club for 123...
 

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
445
Points
880
dangerboy said:
I did like that for the national service in Ottawa they pre-laid the majority of wreaths before the parade. That is a tradition we should continue there is no reason for Bob's convenience store and local 123 to be laying wreaths while there are people on parade.

Agreed!
 

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,254
Points
1,010
To our fallen R.I.P.

To the vets and serving members on here  :salute:
 

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
3
Points
430
My small suburban town west of Toronto. Covid change, ceremony at the Cenotaph was canceled to avoid a crowd? Those in the know attended a small service held at the local Legion parking lot with the town Mayor, our town councilor, and local ex-MP attending.
The 40 or so of us who are not members of the Legion and unaware of the change stood around at the Cenotaph. At 1100 hrs we heard the Last Post from the Legion and responded appropriately.

That is all!
 

The Bread Guy

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
358
Points
1,130
Missed what little ceremony there was because of urgent work, but did deposit my poppy at a small memorial for three locals killed in Afghanistan (attached photo credit:  Leith Dunnick, tbnewswatch.com).  I went after lunch, and noticed people discretely coming, paying their respects and leaving one at a time.

#WeWillRemember, even if it's not in big groups, or at cenotaphs ...
 

Attachments

  • remembrance-day-costall-picture.jpg
    remembrance-day-costall-picture.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 16

lenaitch

Sr. Member
Reaction score
425
Points
810
dangerboy said:
I did like that for the national service in Ottawa they pre-laid the majority of wreaths before the parade. That is a tradition we should continue there is no reason for Bob's convenience store and local 123 to be laying wreaths while there are people on parade.

Agree.  Normally the weather can be pretty scuzzy and I've stood on parade looking at the old vets obviously chilled through while the parade of 'tier two' wreaths are laid.  The sentiment and display of respect is appreciated but there must be a better way.  On the other hand, those folks and groups might not attend if they know they can mail it in.

*****

Over the past couple of days, the missus painted poppies on 75 small rocks found around the area, recognizing the end of WWII.  Last night at dusk we went around the neighbourhood placing them on random driveways.  One of the neighbours runs an email group list and sent out a message on our anonymous behalf.  Some positive responses but that wasn't the point.

As an aside, we saw two Foxes and a Barred Owl, all quite unperturbed by our presence. 
 
Top