• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remains found at Kamloops residential school 'not an isolated incident,' Indigenous experts and leaders warn

“Shame” is a tool to retain the Church’s power, not something to be felt by leadership. The Catholic Church at the institutional level is morally bankrupt.
But fiscally considerate. They are in a crap position, so I suspect their stance is being driven by legal advice .

I have as much sympathy with this issue as anyone but two stats in one month, two weeks before another long weekend - Thanksgiving - is an absurd attack on productivity....

Government offices, schools to close for Sept. 30 holiday, but businesses undecided​

Students won’t be in class and federal and some provincial employees will get a day off, but the new Sept. 30 holiday in honour of National Truth and Reconciliation Day won’t be mandatory in all B.C. workplaces.

Sept. 30 has traditionally been known as Orange Shirt Day in remembrance of Indigenous peoples across the country who suffered in residential schools.

The federal government declared through an act of Parliament in June that Sept. 30 would be a paid day off for employees in the federal public service, including staff at CFB Esquimalt, federal office buildings and the post office, while federally regulated business such as banks will be closed.

Ontario's provincial government has already said it won't be a stat for anything provincially regulated.

The self-flagellation competition is going to go on for a while. No point getting worked up over it.

Bumped with the latest ....
We, the Catholic Bishops of Canada, gathered in Plenary this week, take this opportunity to affirm to you, the Indigenous Peoples of this land, that we acknowledge the suffering experienced in Canada’s Indian Residential Schools. Many Catholic religious communities and dioceses participated in this system, which led to the suppression of Indigenous languages, culture and spirituality, failing to respect the rich history, traditions and wisdom of Indigenous Peoples. We acknowledge the grave abuses that were committed by some members of our Catholic community; physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual, cultural, and sexual. We also sorrowfully acknowledge the historical and ongoing trauma and the legacy of suffering and challenges faced by Indigenous Peoples that continue to this day. Along with those Catholic entities which were directly involved in the operation of the schools and which have already offered their own heartfelt apologies[1], we[2], the Catholic Bishops of Canada, express our profound remorse and apologize unequivocally ... Having heard the requests to engage Pope Francis in this reconciliation process, a delegation of Indigenous survivors, Elders/knowledge keepers, and youth will meet with the Holy Father in Rome in December 2021. Pope Francis will encounter and listen to the Indigenous participants, so as to discern how he can support our common desire to renew relationships and walk together along the path of hope in the coming years ...
Statement of apology also attached in case link doesn't work for you.

Attachments

• Statement_from_CBC_to_Indigenous-EN.pdf
    539 KB · Views: 0
How long before we see a "well that's not good enough for reconciliation "article do you think?
The initial reaction so far ....

Ontario's provincial government has already said it won't be a stat for anything provincially regulated.
I think that there is a lot of confusion all over the place about it. Wes till haven't received word one way or the other if we are parading on that night or not.

I think that there is a lot of confusion all over the place about it. Wes till haven't received word one way or the other if we are parading on that night or not.
It’s a federal stat holiday and CAF is a federally regulated employer. That should be an obvious “yes” for the stat, same as it would be if parade night fell on Christmas, New Years, or any other stat that’s tied to a calendar date.

It’s a federal stat holiday and CAF is a federally regulated employer. That should be an obvious “yes” for the stat, same as it would be if parade night fell on Christmas, New Years, or any other stat that’s tied to a calendar date.
You would think that, but we have worked holidays before. One time when Remembrance Day fell on a parade night we were still required (as much as a reservist can be, although good look getting on course/ tasking if you miss something Remembrance Day-related) to parade after the various parades during the day. Granted we were in the mess from the very start of the night.

You would think that, but we have worked holidays before. One time when Remembrance Day fell on a parade night we were still required (as much as a reservist can be, although good look getting on course/ tasking if you miss something Remembrance Day-related) to parade after the various parades during the day. Granted we were in the mess from the very start of the night.
That is directly related to said holiday. Not, show up and go over weapons handling or post ex drills.

Edit: sorry just saw what you actually meant. That’s weird. You had a parade night after?

Sorry, for the federal realm you’re right, my bad. I let myself get confused by several of the provinces not observing it as one.
As a Public servant I have it off every year. As a reservist I am working it every year…it’s easy to confuse it for a stat holiday vs normal day when one works it most of the time.

As a Public servant I have it off every year. As a reservist I am working it every year…it’s easy to confuse it for a stat holiday vs normal day when one works it most of the time.

Alot of people will be working during this new stat holiday too. And not out of disrespect, I might add!

Back