• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remains found at Kamloops residential school 'not an isolated incident,' Indigenous experts and leaders warn

And you may end up with more cases such as this ...
Tough one to wrestle with - notwithstanding the issue of who decides for kids, can one force Jehovah's Witnesses to take blood transfusions against their will, even if life saving?

And you may end up with more cases such as this:

Link
I'm content with making figuring out traditional healers' scope of practice a First Nations problem, bundled with all the other obnoxious, weirdly-shaped, amorphous issues that come with governance, as long as there's an override for minors.

Outside the scope of implementing the recommendations: if traditional healing methods have a physical impact, they should be analysed, defined, and, if providing a positive effect, communicated into the broader healthcare world, and, if not, banned from use in medical settings. If they don't have a physical impact, then you're looking at some species of religious practice: pragmatically, good morale-boosting patient care, but let's not give it any credence, support, or federal funding. If First Nation X wants a hospital chaplain available, that person can be funded by their faith community and handled however hospitals currently deal with officiants.

[
but let's not give it any credence, support, or federal funding.

Then you'd be saying traditional Aboriginal healing doesn't deserve the same level as respect and importance as colonial settler medicine.
Government would be accused of racism and not implementing the TRC in good faith.

[

Then you'd be saying traditional Aboriginal healing doesn't deserve the same level as respect and importance as colonial settler medicine.
Government would be accused of racism and not implementing the TRC in good faith.
Oh well. Religious wibble is religious wibble, and doesn't deserve serious public policy consideration.

Ideally, some of the more actually valuable recommendations being actioned would counterbalance any negatives of affronting whatever percentage of the Canadian Indigenous population actually cares about traditional healers.

Oh well. Religious wibble is religious wibble, and doesn't deserve serious public policy consideration.

Ideally, some of the more actually valuable recommendations being actioned would counterbalance any negatives of affronting whatever percentage of the Canadian Indigenous population actually cares about traditional healers.

I think they're smart enough to know that traditional healers aren't going to do much brain surgery.

It might actually help take pressure off the system if they can deal more proactively - through traditional means - with some lifestyle related health issues that are overwhelming them, like diabetes.

That very slight wording change actually works for me.
I was originally troubled by making specific reference to specific cultural/ethnic references in what should be a statement representing the mosaic of Canada.

However, further reflection made me think that by swearing allegiance to a Crown and a Constitution, we directly recognize the European socio-political system that was transplanted to create Canada (and our constitutional principle of French and English founding nations). By adding in the section on Aboriginal and Treaty rights, we formalize recognition that there was another socio-political system and people in Canada that was - quite frankly - run over and nearly obliterated in the process of nation building, but still should be recognized as a founding nation.

This gesture seems to be an "easy win" - an earnest gesture for the Government to say "hey, we're all in the boat together - we see you."

Colonial settler medicine doesn't deserve much respect, assuming you're referring to the era of grandmothers' treatments, snake oils, and quack doctors. If you mean modern science-based medicine, then, yeah, no-one's traditional healing deserves respect until proven.

Swearing allegiance to rights and treaties refers to two different things:

1) Aboriginal rights, which is the archaic notion that heredity - the accident of birth - should grant people different treatment before the law. Can't be squared with equality before the law, unless someone is proposing to overhaul everything so that all residents of a governed locality have the same rights to vote and run for public office.

2) Treaty rights, which are just creations of the transplanted system.

I see no reason for naturalized citizens to be taking oaths from which birth citizens are exempt. It should be changed to a "statement of ideals" or some other well-sounding fluff.

It's another feel-good move to match promises to implement the UNDRIP in full, which would be a retrograde step in the evolution towards a society in which people are equals. If it weren't for the amount of long-term damage, I'd enjoy the spectacle of the party that deprecated "two-tier citizenship" doing everything in its power to perpetuate the concept.

The sense I get from this swing of the discussion to "indigenous healing practices" may be explained by this quote from a piece published last year in the Canadian Medical Education Journal Creating space for Indigenous healing practices in patient care plans

The free-text responses also reflect an incomplete understanding of Indigenous healing practices. Many respondents stated that they need more information, and many described uncertainty about specific Indigenous healing practices (e.g., ingested/inhaled substances) and potential risks. There was also frequent conflation of Indigenous healing practices with forms of complementary medicine or religions. This was demonstrated with responses such as: “religious beliefs need to be kept separate from medicine (respondent 6), and “I ask about all therapies the patient is using and specify ‘natural, vitamins, herbal or other’” (respondent 19).

It certainly described what I had thought was meant by "indigenous healing practices". It's amazing what a little research produces. https://www.fnha.ca/what-we-do/traditional-healing

Be on the lookout....

UPDATE: VicPD seeks two suspects in toppling of Captain James Cook statue in downtown Victoria​

Monument replaced with red dresses

The Victoria Police Department is looking for information on two suspects in regards to the destruction of the Captain James Cook Statue in downtown Victoria on Canada Day.
At approximately 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, a large group toppled the statue before tossing it in the harbour.

Makes sense to me; no reason why you can't do both. It's not like modern medicine is really great at dealing with chronic conditions, and for things like joint pain etc some of the salves I've tried worked as well or better than modern equivalents. Just because it's old knowledge doesn't mean we've figured out something better, and we still can't duplicate some things that used to be common practice (like the mix of hydraulic cement used by the Romans for bridge supports that are still standing).

And a lot of the latest mental health treatments are just repackaged versions of what people did for centuries.

Be on the lookout....

UPDATE: VicPD seeks two suspects in toppling of Captain James Cook statue in downtown Victoria​

Monument replaced with red dresses

The Victoria Police Department is looking for information on two suspects in regards to the destruction of the Captain James Cook Statue in downtown Victoria on Canada Day.
At approximately 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, a large group toppled the statue before tossing it in the harbour.

If Victoria can do this so can Winnipeg. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I posted something on FB this morning alluding to that and it turned in to a shit show. I deleted it as it was counter productive

And.... tit for tat begins:

Totem pole set alight on Malahat likely in retaliation for tearing down of Cook statue​

If Victoria can do this so can Winnipeg. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I posted something on FB this morning alluding to that and it turned in to a shit show. I deleted it as it was counter productive
Winnipeg is investigating.

Realize that in any of these big protests, there are a lot of cameras and binoculars about. Best practice, if people aren’t already getting hurt, is to avoid inflaming the situation through arrests right now when they can instead follow later. It’s not worth sending a crowd control arrest team into an angry mob over a statue- I guarantee you’ll see way more tax dollars spent on a couple injured police than on cleaning and repairing a statue. Much safer to identify people now and effect arrests later, if It’s purely a matter of property damage or minor stupidity.

And.... tit for tat begins:

Totem pole set alight on Malahat likely in retaliation for tearing down of Cook statue​

I was just thinking that Totem poles celebrate a society based on slavery.....

Back