• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remains found at Kamloops residential school 'not an isolated incident,' Indigenous experts and leaders warn

And again ....
Two more Catholic churches on Indigenous land in B.C.’s Interior burned to the ground early Saturday morning.

The latest were located on reserves in the Similkameen Valley, and come just days after two Catholic churches burned down on Indigenous land in the southern Okanagan.

Chief Keith Crow, of the Lower Similkameen Indian Band, said St. Anne’s Church on the Chuchuwayha reserve in Hedley and the Lower Similkameen Indian Band church, the Chopaka Church, were destroyed by fire at about 4 a.m.

He said the fires were suspicious and “possibly” linked to the other two in the Okanagan ...

And another one....

Another church on B.C. First Nations land targeted by arson: Chief​

It's concerning that it was an Anglican Church. I thought that it might have been related to the Pope's lack of apology. Of course, they may be targeting churches indiscriminately, which will be concerning if this gets more out of hand. I should not that one burnt Church is out of hand.

It's concerning that it was an Anglican Church. I thought that it might have been related to the Pope's lack of apology. Of course, they may be targeting churches indiscriminately, which will be concerning if this gets more out of hand. I should not that one burnt Church is out of hand.
Could be a copycat. The other four were all Catholic, and were destroyed.

The Anglicans ran schools as well

The Anglicans ran schools as well
But they apologized in 1993 - I know, not enough for some, but at least there's another template out there for other organizations.

Edited to add: Just spotted this - MSM maybe not getting every detail right notwithstanding, an interesting approach taken to getting churches to cough up money for reconciliation back in the mid-teens...
The failure of the Catholic Church's fundraising efforts for aboriginal healing and reconciliation means that other churches involved in the notorious residential schools have been let off the hook for more than $3-million in contributions.

The Catholic fundraising program collected just $3.7-million toward its $25-million goal. This reduced the totals required from the Anglican, United and Presbyterian churches, because each had signed a deal with the federal government that linked their contributions to aboriginal healing to those of the Catholics.

Catholic organizations ran most of the residential schools, and had the largest financial obligations of any church under Canada's 2007 settlement that ended thousands of individual and class-action lawsuits. The federal government spent an estimated $5-billion directly compensating 79,000 survivors.

The Anglican Church was allowed to keep $2.7-million it had raised for healing, and return it to local church communities. A church spokesman said many of those communities set up healing programs with their share of the money. The United Church was allowed to reduce its maximum obligation by $450,000, a church spokesman said. The Presbyterian Church had already put its maximum obligation of $1.3-million toward healing programs and therefore was contractually not in a position to receive anything back. The church says it effectively waived its right to get money back by spending it up front.

About 50 Catholic entities were obliged to use their "best efforts" to raise $25-million for healing and reconciliation. The $25-million was in addition to $29-million in cash for the Aboriginal Healing Foundation and $25-million in services to aboriginal communities.

In an e-mail exchange with The Globe, the government declined to provide a direct answer on what it did to ensure the Catholic groups lived up to their best-efforts promise. "The supervising Courts remain the authority for determining whether the terms of the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement have been met," said spokeswoman Valérie Haché of the Indigenous and Northern Affairs department.

The government says its agreement releasing the Catholics from their financial contributions is confidential, even though a researcher for The Globe and Mail found a draft of it in a public court file at the Saskatchewan Court of Queen's Bench in Regina ...

That's not the prerogative of a private individual(s). It's still a criminal act and should be viewed as such regardless of the circumstances.
And I am sure it will be viewed as a criminal act once they conclude that fact. Last I read, the authorities are treating these cases as suspicious. Once they have all their evidence I am sure they will conduct whatever criminal investigation is required.

structure fires happen naturally, accidentally, or deliberately. I am sure the police are working with the fire investigators as we speak.

Speaking to my friend still working the regulatory field, this is rippling into the regulatory world by impacting consulting, coupled with UNDRIP The combined impact may have a rippling effect for years to come and impact on Canada's GDP.

Speaking to my friend still working the regulatory field, this is rippling into the regulatory world by impacting consulting, coupled with UNDRIP The combined impact may have a rippling effect for years to come and impact on Canada's GDP.
Yeah before Covid, the rail blockades were starting to cripple this country. It would be best if we as a country/society/government got ahead of this and in my mind bit the bullet

Problem is that Ottawa does not understand consultation and wants a one size fit all process, but each province is different and each band needs a different approach. My old Department does not do a good job in staffing positions in the regulatory consulting unit and it leads to burn out of the few people there.

Top-down federalism right there - and not just with this set of issues. Well summed up.

If only someone could have warned the government ....
Tricky, given that, constitutionally, indigenous affairs are strictly federal. It makes the overlap with provincial heads of power (eg, natural resources) trickier. Top-down federalism on indigenous issues would be hard to slide out from under in the best of circumstances.

Tricky, given that, constitutionally, indigenous affairs are strictly federal. It makes the overlap with provincial heads of power (eg, natural resources) trickier. Top-down federalism on indigenous issues would be hard to slide out from under in the best of circumstances.
Especially adding in the state-to-state nature of at least some of the treaties and other relationships.

We really have no idea how to solve this problem, realistically, and continue to throw money at it in the usual fashion e.g.,

Canada Supports Increased Indigenous Participation in the Natural Resources Economy​

The meaningful participation of Indigenous Peoples in oil and gas projects provides important economic opportunities for their communities.

Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, the Honourable Seamus O'Regan Jr., today announced $2.6 million in funding for the First Nations Major Projects Coalition, as well as $1 million in funding for the First Nations Climate Initiative. Both of these initiatives will increase Indigenous participation in the natural resources economy by developing collaborative relationships between industry and government, increasing certainty around First Nations participation in major project development and advancing meaningful engagement.

There is no relationship more important to the Government of Canada than the one with Indigenous Peoples. Canada is ensuring Indigenous groups have access to the resources they need to support them as equal partners in natural resource projects.

Back