• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Religious/Extremist Terrorism: Non-Muslim edition

Thinking hate speech?
I'm seeing way more sexual assault & assault (as well as the 129 catch-all), other than "used provoking speeches toward a person subject to the Code of Service Discipline, tending to cause a quarrel" on the version I'm looking at - unless you know more details than the record I'm looking at shows.

I'm seeing way more sexual assault & assault (as well as the 129 catch-all), other than "used provoking speeches toward a person subject to the Code of Service Discipline, tending to cause a quarrel" on the version I'm looking at - unless you know more details than the record I'm looking at shows.
Exactly my observation. We still seem to be struggling with this whole don't sexually assault people thing.

If there's this big extremism problem in the CAF that we keep hearing about it's either not being taken seriously enough to investigate and punish, or they extremists are hiding it really well (both possible..)

If there's this big extremism problem in the CAF that we keep hearing about it's either not being taken seriously enough to investigate and punish, or they extremists are hiding it really well (both possible..)
True dat -- some might say if it took as long as it has to deal with sexual assault, with some saying "it's just a rotten few" or "latest flavour of the month" all along the way, flicking other switches may not happen overnight either.

I hope we can quash them before they become more powerful:

Farber said he was worried about the long-term impact of the assault on the U.S. Capitol.

“This is probably the most significant victory for the far right in modern history,” he said. “This is a serious moment.”

He said the incident could be used to radicalize a new generation with a narrative about how the far right almost succeeded in seizing state power.

“This will be one of those legacy far-right stories that will be used for recruitment,” he said.

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh called for the Proud Boys to be listed as a terrorist group in Canada, saying the group had “helped execute” the Capitol attack.

According to a Canadian military report, the Proud Boys are “an extremist conservative group that uses confrontational and at times violent tactics to promote its goals.”

It is “openly Islamophobic and misogynistic” and “has an active and physical presence” in the U.S. and Canada, the Canadian Armed Forces report on hate and racist groups said.

I hope we can quash them before they become more powerful:

Not really possible IMHO.

The US believes in individual freedom to think as you wish regardless as to how repugnant your thoughts may be to society. The crossover point is taking actions (or conspiring to take such actions) which are illegal. It's virtually impossible to eradicate a belief system.

The standard practice is surveillance and police action once they cross over to conspiring to take illegal actions.

🍻

If you're posting about the 6 Jan 2020 events, there's a thread for that. We don't need that discussion spilling into 15 other areas on the board.

- Milnet.ca Staff

Not really possible IMHO.

The US believes in individual freedom to think as you wish regardless as to how repugnant your thoughts may be to society. The crossover point is taking actions (or conspiring to take such actions) which are illegal. It's virtually impossible to eradicate a belief system.

The standard practice is surveillance and police action once they cross over to conspiring to take illegal actions.

🍻
Or counselling or inciting others, for that matter. Which is where the really challenging discourse around the role of companies that host third party content will continue to come up - and will become increasingly partisanised.

I think we’ll see hard-right social media ‘shrink’ as they face deplatforming, as we’re now seeing. There will be less of an open space for the ‘keyboard warriors’ who may be radicalized but not sufficiently motivated to learn new things or act. Unfortunately there’s already a well established network of those willing to be (or at least actively prepare to be) violent and already accustomed to having to communicate surreptitiously. The very small proportion of the mass of currently angry hard-right types who are willing to take those next steps will find others willing to teach them how to use encrypted messaging, or dark web fora less prone to being taken down.

Or counselling or inciting others, for that matter. Which is where the really challenging discourse around the role of companies that host third party content will continue to come up - and will become increasingly partisanised.

I think we’ll see hard-right social media ‘shrink’ as they face deplatforming, as we’re now seeing. There will be less of an open space for the ‘keyboard warriors’ who may be radicalized but not sufficiently motivated to learn new things or act. Unfortunately there’s already a well established network of those willing to be (or at least actively prepare to be) violent and already accustomed to having to communicate surreptitiously. The very small proportion of the mass of currently angry hard-right types who are willing to take those next steps will find others willing to teach them how to use encrypted messaging, or dark web fora less prone to being taken down.
Well the FBI has been warning everyone for years about the security threat that these various groups are. Now folks are listening and there will be a much more receptive audience working at DoJ, Homeland etc.

I've always felt that these radical sites are a good source of intelligence. Maybe now there will be more resources thrown at collating and analysis and the ever popular FBI SWAT teams.

🍻

The far-right in the West (not just America either) is becoming more organized, politically and economically. Some of these movements are basically mainstream now, at least in the US.

It also transcends race at this point in time. The leader of the Proud Boys in the US for instance, is a brown guy.

I personally think doing things like banning people from social media and limiting freedom of speech is going to have the opposite effect of what is intended. Strategically, banning Trump works in the far right's favour, especially when we consider that 75 million Americans just voted for him.

You want to polarize society even more? That's a very good way to do it. Also, the Police aren't necessarily able to do their jobs effectively either. As we saw on Capitol Hill, many Police probably sympathize/support right-wing movements themselves.

Well the FBI has been warning everyone for years about the security threat that these various groups are. Now folks are listening and there will be a much more receptive audience working at DoJ, Homeland etc.

I've always felt that these radical sites are a good source of intelligence. Maybe now there will be more resources thrown at collating and analysis and the ever popular FBI SWAT teams.

🍻

It's only 3 years ago that the FBI acknowledged the far right threat and that it poses a significantly greater terror danger than Islamic jihadists:

It's only 3 years ago that the FBI acknowledged the far right threat and that it poses a significantly greater terror danger than Islamic jihadists:
I bet a certain someone probably surfing Linkedin right now would give credit to Executive Order 13769 for that ;)

The far-right in the West (not just America either) is becoming more organized, politically and economically. Some of these movements are basically mainstream now, at least in the US.

It also transcends race at this point in time. The leader of the Proud Boys in the US for instance, is a brown guy.

I personally think doing things like banning people from social media and limiting freedom of speech is going to have the opposite effect of what is intended. Strategically, banning Trump works in the far right's favour, especially when we consider that 75 million Americans just voted for him.

You want to polarize society even more? That's a very good way to do it. Also, the Police aren't necessarily able to do their jobs effectively either. As we saw on Capitol Hill, many Police probably sympathize/support right-wing movements themselves.
Very well said.

Banning people from social media isn't going to be 'the' solution. And if nothing else, it limits the police's ability to monitor what they are saying/planning, if they aren't announcing their nonsense on social media. Monitoring a potential threat's social media activity is more helpful to law enforcement than just banning the person.

I'm not sure what the right call on Trump was, to be honest.

On the one hand, you make a very good point. On the other hand, their fear that he would use Twitter to possibly influence or encourage similar situations elsewhere was valid.

I can assure you that the law enforcement/intelligence works has been live to this threat for years. While the US has indeed been inordinately distracted by fear of the Muslims hiding under the bed, this has still had eyes on and attention paid to it.

I can assure you that the law enforcement/intelligence works has been live to this threat for years. While the US has indeed been inordinately distracted by fear of the Muslims hiding under the bed, this has still had eyes on and attention paid to it.
They're also alot easier for intelligence agencies to penetrate. Hopefully that will mean it will be easier to bring them to justice.

And ironically the radical right was able to achieve what the radical Muslims never could. Shake the foundations of democracy in the US. But hey, take your shoes off at the airport before getting on a plane.

Something timely ...

(Source)

DHS-FBI-USSS Joint Threat Assessment: 59th Presidential Inauguration​

(....)

Domestic Violent Extremists

(U//FOUO) We assess that DVEs pose the most likely threat to the Presidential Inauguration or associated events, particularly those who believe the incoming administration is illegitimate. Recent ideologically -motivated violence in Washington, DC, underscores the symbolic nature of the NCR and DVEs willingness to travel to events and violently engage law enforcement and their perceived adversaries. Recent violent interactions between law enforcement and DVEs at these events will likely exacerbate DVE grievances, particularly militia extremists. The known standing date of Inauguration Day conceivably offers DVEs more time to plan acts of violence and open source reports indicate calls to violent action ahead of or on Inauguration Day. In particular, we are concerned about racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists (RMVEs), anti-government or anti-authority violent extremists, specifically militia extremists, and anarchist extremists targeting the events or perceived ideological opponents ...

Alternate site for 15-page PDF

And ironically the radical right was able to achieve what the radical Muslims never could. Shake the foundations of democracy in the US. But hey, take your shoes off at the airport before getting on a plane.

Radical Islamists shook the foundations of democracy in the US on 9/11 and the US responded by a 20 year war on terrorism and almost a million dead because of it. Bad as it was I don't feel that the Capitol Hill riot had the same impact in the US.

Shake the foundations of democracy in the US.
On Sept. 11, 2001, Members of Congress came together that evening on the steps of the Capitol. After a moment of silence, they broke into an impromptu rendition of “God Bless America.”

Senators stood by Representatives, Democrats next to Republicans, and the leadership of both houses gathered as a symbol of strength and solidarity. Unity.

I think it would have been comforting for Americans to see something similar on 6 Jan.

Not to argue the politics. Just an observation based on what Remius said.

Back