• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Red seal looking interested in Navy

WestGirl36

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a red seal journeyman electrician. I am interested in changing from my mundane 9-5 maintenance job at the plant into something more rewarding/exciting.

I have also completed my 4th class power engineering and have a lot of safety courses.

I am interested in joining the Navy; as I have done a lot of research on this site and that intrigues me the most.

I've looked into E Tech. I am also interested in a bit of a career move into something more IT/intelligence based like Nav Comm. I am not apposed to doing more technical training whether that be college or university as well.

My questions are... Will my electrical ticket give me some sort of credit in the CF? If so which trades? From my background/statements above do you suggest any other occupations that may suit me?

Thank you for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Day,

In regards to your ticket, depending on which occupation you are joining along with what experience you have in regards to school and work experience and qualifications the Canadian Armed Forces absolutely will give credit to individuals (the process is a Prior Learning Assessment), what exact credit would be given would be determined in the recruiting process and should you wish to join would be given to you in writing prior to you joining the CAF.

In regards to suggesting other occupations, there are several follow up questions that a recruiter would ask you, so I highly encourage you to visit your closest CFRC (http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110) to speak with a Recruiter face to face.  You did mention that you work 9-5 so you could always contact the CFRC and ask when they would be at a career fair so that you could speak with a recruiter when it suits your schedule.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Thank you so much for the quick response. Unfortunately I am located in Northern BC. The closest recruitment center is an 8 hour drive. I have sent an email and waiting on a response.

Thank you again for the information. It was helpful.

Hello,

I am currently an Industrial Red Seal Electrician. I am looking for a career that's a little more interesting than the 9-5 maintenance work I am doing on land.

Have any of you worked with pre-trained electricians? Do you know if I will receive credit for my previous training? I see lots of threads about people wanting to go to civilian trades with their military trade but not that other way around. Just wondering if you guys knew if I would maybe be compensated for being fully trained or if I would start out pretty fresh again.

Thank you!

WestGirl36 said:
I am currently an Industrial Red Seal Electrician.

Do you know if I will receive credit for my previous training?

From Ask a CAF Recruiter to WestGirl36,

Sergeant Laen said:
In regards to your ticket, depending on which occupation you are joining along with what experience you have in regards to school and work experience and qualifications the Canadian Armed Forces absolutely will give credit to individuals (the process is a Prior Learning Assessment), what exact credit would be given would be determined in the recruiting process and should you wish to join would be given to you in writing prior to you joining the CAF.

From DAA, also a Recruiter, in "Red seal vehicle technician before the forces?"

DAA said:
Regardless of your civilian qualifications, you will still need to write the CFAT and TSD, so I would suggest you start studying now!  Nothing worse than holding civilian qualifications and then not meeting minimum standards during the testing stage.

"If" you are successful during the testing and selected for further processing, you will need to provide "all" certificates of your civilian qualifications, as these will need to be assessed (ie; PLAR).

Good luck!

Edit - the assessment of your civilian qualifications (ie; the PLAR) will determine just which portions of your initial occupation training will be granted.  Chances are you will have to do some but probably not all of it.

PLAR
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+++PLAR&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=SV7ZV5WNEOuM8Qfq8oagAg&gws_rd=ssl

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Hey thanks for the response. I was hoping you guys may have known someone that came into E tech and could give an inside scoop.

I have contacted a recruiter and I am waiting to hear back from there.

Thanks for your time :)

That information was helpful! So I appreciate you finding that other discussion on vehicle tech.

Back