• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting into CISI

To be an Intelligence Officer in CSIS requries a University degree.  Full stop.

Other positions may or may not, depending on the nature of the position.  Much like the CF, CSIS has a fairly large array of position types, requiring different skillsets - for example, CSIS employs a large number of folks with library science backgrounds; they have finance personnel, administrative services personnel... all the support staff needed to achieve their mission.

WEng said:
Colleges do grant degrees now in certain fields take a look at conestoga for example.
http://www.conestogac.on.ca/degrees/index.jsp

Okay, I'll expand on that.

Under the traditional roles, universities grant degrees, and colleges grant diplomas.  Obviously there are some colleges who have gone through the rigors of becoming accredited to teach degree programs.  However, diplomas are usually granted for two and three year programs at community colleges, while degrees are granted by four (plus) year programs at universities.

Yes, I'm aware there are three year degree programs.  Everyone's gotta be special.

Redhotpengy said:
Hey guys! New to the forum,

I'm pretty much 16 years old (a couple months until my birthday) and I've been considering a few careers. I have one particular that I want to do, but I like to keep an open mind.

I've been pretty interested in the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. I know they're Canada's main centre of handling intelligence. And I know many of you are going to just say that I'm interesting in this job because I want to become a "spy".

Let me just say that's not true. I'm interested in the job because of the lifestyle. I find foreign affairs, politics, and international cultures interesting. I also like the dealing of secret information, and dealing with bad people. It sounds exciting, and somewhat dangerous.

Anyways, I guess my main questions are what could I start doing to prepare myself for a job there? In terms of high school courses? Do I need to take French?

I'd also like to know the physical aspects of training they do. Do they teach you any physical training (Fighting, firing weapons, etc)?

Sorry for my ignorance, I'd just really like input from someone who knows more. Thank you!  ;D

Before we get too far sidetracked ... you might want to note that the intelligence business is neither dangerous nor glamorous, it involves, for 99.99% of its practitioners, careers of unending drudgery, sifting and sorting information until some meaningful patterns might materialize.

Please take careful note of CSIS' name: the Canadian Security Intelligence Service - I put a lot of emphasis on security because many countries divide the intelligence function into two broad categories:

1. Protecting out secrets, here at home, from foreign spys; and

2. Gathering information, overseas, which can be turned into useful intelligence.

Speaking very broadly CSIS does the former and other agencies do the latter. CSIS can and does operate overseas but, mainly, in pursuit of its "Priority Areas" of responsibility.

As you might expect, in this cyber age, much of the volume of "spying," by which we mean information gathering is done electronically because so much information is moved about by electronic means. Canada has an agency, separate and distinct from CSIS, that does that work.

If you are interested in that sort of work - in the intelligence part of CSIS and/or CSE - then, as dapaterson says, you will need a university degree, likely more than one, and some facility, better yet, fluency, in one or more foreign languages. There are CF members and other folks who roam around foreign countries gathering or trying to gather information - we call the CF people attachés and they are, mostly, colonels with one or more university degrees and some skill in a foreign language or two; the others are called diplomats - once again university educated and having some language skills. The information those folks gather is assembled and analyzed and rearranged and reviewed and turned into real intelligence by the analysts - the real intelligence professionals: grey little people, working in grey little cubicles in grey little office buildings in Canada's grey little capital.

French matters because these agencies are part of the Government of Canada - even if you have a PhD in physics and are fluent in Arabic, Hindi and Mandarin you had better be bilingual.

By the way ... Ian Fleming's James Bond character was modelled, in part, on Commander Lionel "Buster" Crabb, RN. But Crabb and his ilk were always rare, everywhere, and are even more so, today. And remember, Redhotpengy, all those in the intelligence world are Taoists at heart and they believe Lao Tzu's diuctum that "Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.”

dapaterson said:
To be an Intelligence Officer in CSIS requries a University degree if you are female you have to be an 11 on the scale of 1 to 10.  Full stop.

There.  Fixed that for you.

George Wallace said:
There.  Fixed that for you.

The female IOs I have met (with one exception) do not meet that criteria.  Even after copious numbers of shooters.

dapaterson said:
The female IOs I have met (with one exception) do not meet that criteria.  Even after copious numbers of shooters.

Oh I know one that's about a 16 at minimum. No shooters required. And she's the "ugly" sister.

It seems according to the Globe and Mail that the officers in CSIS responsible for foreign intelligence collection are known as, foreign collection officers,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/review-uncovers-csis-policy-violations/article1857901/

Here is the CSIS organization chart, at the bottom left is the Assistant Director for Foreign Intelligence Collection, Michel Coulombe

Are you sure your link isn't about a story on policy violations?

Am i supposed to rub lemon juice on my screen or something?

Well if you are talking about CSIS foreign collection officers, the reference is in the 5th or 6th paragraph

E.R. Campbell said:
Before we get too far sidetracked ... you might want to note that the intelligence business is neither dangerous nor glamorous, it involves, for 99.99% of its practitioners, careers of unending drudgery, sifting and sorting information until some meaningful patterns might materialize.

It should be pointed out that CSIS agents do carry firearms (1) and, in fact, do not even have the powers of arrest.  To arrest someone, they call in the RCMP.

(1) An exception was for CSIS agents operating in Afghanistan.

sean m said:
It seems according to the Globe and Mail that the officers in CSIS responsible for foreign intelligence collection are known as, foreign collection officers,

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/review-uncovers-csis-policy-violations/article1857901/

Here is the CSIS organization chart, at the bottom left is the Assistant Director for Foreign Intelligence Collection, Michel Coulombe

From the 2009 - 2010 CSIS Public Report:

Over the past several years, the Service has strived to improve and increase its presence and collection efforts outside of Canada’s borders. In 2009-2010, the Service increased its capacity to collect quality intelligence abroad through CSIS stations and its relationships in priority areas around the globe. There have also been improved coordination and understanding of the Service’s collection mandate abroad among stakeholders within Canada. The Service’s ability to utilize its relationships with foreign services and leverage their knowledge and capabilities has produced enhanced collection in response to the government's security intelligence priorities.

In 2009-2010, the Service also continued to provide increased and timely reporting from the Afghanistan and Pakistan region in support of Canada’s mission in Afghanistan. It also supported allied efforts to combat extremism emanating from this volatile region of the world and contributed to save Canadian, allied and Afghan lives.

Has anyone on here made the jump to CSIS, or know anyone personally who has?

Even better: any non-intelligence non-technical officers? (i.e. pilot, NWO, infantry, log, armoured, etc).

I've been on their website and looked at all their available jobs, and was wondering which jobs seem most suitable for those without a technical or intelligence background, but upwards of 15 years of trg and experience in operations, planning, and leadership.

I'm not actively looking to change careers, but CSIS has always interested me, and Im curious to know more about where I would go IF I went this way, someday.

Also, if anyone has any idea just where and how often CSIS employees move around, that would be valuable insight as well.

Cheers!

Mobility depends on classification.  As with any organization, they hire an array of people with an array of skills.

I may know a handful or more of people working there.

Back