• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting ex-CF certified teachers

UberCree

Inactive
Reaction score
Mods please delete if this is a no-go post.

This is an unofficial recruitment posting for any posters here that are prior service and have gone into the teaching field (middle years or high school). 

We are looking for a teacher(s) to help coordinate a Land Based Education program.  Last year we recruited an Ourward Bound / NLS instructor, but there was a cultural clash ... it did not work out (We like to eat and skin animals not save them:)).  My community 100% supports hunting, trapping, survival, land nav. etc. being taught in the school, and mainstream outdoor education instructors are lacking in their outdoor skills to be honest. 

Our 'ideal' candidate would be a Pathfinder qualified, Survival Instructor, Light Infantry background and be willing and able to adapt culturally to working in  First Nations community (not asking much is it?).

I think if we found the ideal candidate that was just getting out of the CF, we may even be able to support their teacher education training.

Message me if interested.

Sorry, UberCree, I remembered this topic when I saw you online just now and I  had meant to move it here before, but.... :-[

I think it will get read more by the type of people your looking for here,rather than the recruitment forum.......course, that's where some of the really supersecretninjatypes seem to hang out. ;)

UberCree would not this be perfect for some of the first nations people with oodles of experience, but just needing the formal training experience? Having worked on reserves, I remember some terrific knowledgeable people that would have jumped at the chance for formal training to add to their already vast repertoire of experience on the land.

We have a lot of very knowledgable people when it comes to land based living.  Some of our trappers, fishermen and hunters are very experienced and proficient on the land.

However, our delemna is in using them to further the educational needs of the students.  Firstly it stems from bridging the gap between our traditional knowledge and current technologies and outdoor skills.  Secondly I find that logistically we are used to taking out very small groups with ... shall I say ... less concern for safety (strictly from personal experience).  Again from my experience the military is very well adapted logistically to taking out inexperienced people farely safely. 

The ideal mix is a gung ho organized, logistically set up soldier(s) partnering with a group of Elders. 

Our overall goal is to have students become proficient in 'Outdoor Skills' that can help them in a variety of careers (military, policing, geology, forestry, biology, etc. etc.)  At the same time giving them self confidence and the self awareness that comes from being comfortable on the land and living independently.

Many communities have run Land Based education programs in the past and many of them have been horribly unsafe and unproductive.  Some people feeling that simply by taking kids out on the land, with no goals or outcomes, no structure, will suddenly empower them and change them.  I am trying to dance my way around a cultural issue that is very hard to explain.  Not sure if I am making sense. 

Yeah, you are making good sense. You might look at, if you are not successful with your present search, utilizing someone with the teaching credentials, but not so mired in saving the seals(read: animals) they can't think past their tushy. Team them up with someone with vast knowledge of the land, define parameters of authority/teaching, THEN the two need to approach the elders with their plan.

Preferably, there will also be a third person....an apprentice to gain additional skills from the band member, and to learn some of the basics from the formal teacher, prior to getting their own accreditation, maybe with band support.

Ubercree: Get in touch with NAVA, they'll know who has just released and who else might be qualified (I believe Mike Kannon is still Prez of the Manitoba Chapter).  As well, contact Queen's ConEd Dept and have them put the word out in the Aboriginal Teacher's Education Program (Trent U is a partner institution so canvass there as well). 

niner domestic said:
Ubercree: Get in touch with NAVA, they'll know who has just released and who else might be qualified (I believe Mike Kannon is still Prez of the Manitoba Chapter).  As well, contact Queen's ConEd Dept and have them put the word out in the Aboriginal Teacher's Education Program (Trent U is a partner institution so canvass there as well). 

What's NAVA?  Havent heard of it before.

Back