• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP treated Peterborough, Ont., plane crash as "nat'l security" case

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Schizophrenia? Or something else?

Global News

RCMP investigated Peterborough plane crash as ‘national security issue’
By Adam Miller, Cindy Pom and Allison Vuchnich
Global News

UPDATE at 7 p.m. ET: Despite numerous requests, the RCMP repeatedly declined to comment further. After this story was published, an RCMP spokeswoman called to inform Global News she had “just got information” they had found “no national security aspect.”

Global News has learned the RCMP is now leading the investigation into a stolen plane that mysteriously crashed in Peterborough, Ont. last week and multiple sources confirmed it was being treated as a potential “national security issue.”

Twenty-year-old Mohammad Hassan Chaudhary of Markham, Ont., was killed after the small Piper Tomahawk aircraft he allegedly stole from the Markham Airport crash landed just before 1:30 a.m. Friday near the Landsdowne Place mall in Peterborough’s south end about 140 kilometres east of Toronto.

His father, Afzal Chaudhary, says his son lived with schizophrenia and is shocked he was able to steal and fly the plane without a “single minute” of flight training.

The pilot apparently had the only key so the kid must have taught himself how to hotwire planes.  Flying without any training is pretty impressive too.

I know the RCMP cited national security and I get the requirement for comms lock down on that kind of stuff. I just hope we're not following in Europe's footsteps and trying to hide news that might be deemed culturally sensitive or whatever.

Back