• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP raids in Kingston part of national security investigation

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
58
Points
530
Haggis said:
That was the gist of a thread on another forum I follow.
I didn't know you follow GovernmentOppresssion_&_ConspiracyTheories.com  ;D
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
427
Points
880
Jarnhamar said:
I'm sorta biased about the RCMP, having bought into the conspiracy theory that they try and cover up or at least mitigate  politiclally uncomfortable stories but this stuff really puts me in my place (if that makes sense).

Looks like  super police work by them and a host of other organizations. I think we (as a society) might get caught up in this belief we have a right to immediately know everything the police are doing.  I expected to hear "just mental illness". Happy to be wrong.

As for the fact he was a Syrian refugee I don't think that plays into the situation at all. Along with the bad apples explination there's plenty of examples of westerners or home grown terrorists who are radicalized. Its not fair to presume someone from Syria has more inclination to be radicalized than the proverbial disinfranchized angry western kid in the basement.

Assuming the parents didn't know I feel bad for the online abuse I'm sure is being thrown at them. Parents get stuck  between public wrath and an instinct to protect their kids.

And this is just one of the many investigations that will be ongoing. We have no idea, nor should we, about all the 'near misses', I'm guessing.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
Bail hearing begins for teen arrested on terrorism charges

  Susan Yanagisawa Susan Yanagisawa

Published on: March 12, 2019 | Last Updated: March 12, 2019 7:33 PM EDT

A special bail hearing began Tuesday for the Kingston teenager arrested here in late January on terrorism charges. It will yet be some time, however, before the 16-year-old learns whether he’ll be released pending trial.

His hearing, which began in front of Justice of the Peace Herbert Kreling, was scheduled for two full days the second of which is still more than two weeks away, on March 29.

Justice Kreling reminded spectators at the start of proceedings yesterday that provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act protect the teen’s identity and that a Youth Court judge’s order, made at the boy’s arraignment on Jan. 25, forbids publication of any evidence taken at his bail hearing, as well as the lawyers’ submissions and any reasons for decision given by the justice of the peace at its conclusion. That ban remains in effect until the matters have been resolved at trial or by discharge.

The teen was investigated by the RCMP National Security Enforcement Team following a tip from the FBI. As a result of that investigation he currently stands charged with facilitating a terrorist activity between Dec. 20 last year and Jan. 22 this year and with counselling someone during the same period of time to deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device with intent to cause death or serious bodily injury.

No explosive device was actually planted and investigators disclosed, when the youth was first arrested, that a specific target was never identified. As of the start of his bail hearing, however, he’d already spent 47 days in pretrial custody at a youth detention facility.

Out of town Crown prosecutors Luc Boucher and Pierre Lapointe of the Public Prosecution Service of Canada are presenting the case against the teen to Justice of the Peace Kreling and local lawyers Simon Borys, Sean Ellacott and Kate Mitchell are defending him.

https://www.thewhig.com/news/local-news/bail-hearing-begins-for-teen-arrested-on-terrorism-charges
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
The teenager has been granted bail with a list of conditions.

Teen arrested on terrorism charges granted bail

  Susan Yanagisawa Susan Yanagisawa

Published on: April 3, 2019 | Last Updated: April 3, 2019 7:02 PM EDT

After 68 days in custody at a youth detention centre, the Kingston teenager arrested in late January on terrorism charges has been granted bail with strict conditions governing his movements and activities in the community.

Justice of the peace Herbert Kreling released the 16-year-old to family members after they entered into an undertaking agreeing to act as “responsible persons” and to monitor him and ensure that he attends court and abides by all of the conditions imposed by the court on his release. They also promised to immediately notify local police and the RCMP if he fails to abide by any of his conditions.

The teen is currently facing charges of facilitating a terrorist activity between Dec. 20 last year and Jan. 22 this year; counselling another person to deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device with intent to cause death or serious injury; making, or having possession, care, or control of an explosive substance with intent to cause injury to life or damage to property; intent to cause an explosion likely to cause death, serious injury or damage to property; and threatening a special constable.

The conditions of his bail release require him to live with one of his guarantors and forbid him being outside his residence unless accompanied by one of them. His access to the internet and devices capable of accessing the internet is prohibited and he’s forbidden from possessing weapons, as defined by the Criminal Code, which includes ammunition, explosives and anything else used or intended to be used to cause death or injury or to threaten or intimidate another person, even if that thing was not originally designed to be a weapon. And he’s also forbidden from leaving the province; must surrender his passport, if he has one, within 48 hours to the RCMP; and will be fitted with an ankle monitor.

His case returns to Youth Court at the end of April.

https://www.thewhig.com/news/local-news/teen-arrested-on-terrorism-charges-granted-bail
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
The youth has been arrested for breaching his conditions.

Youth charged with terrorism arrested for breaching release conditions

  Steph Crosier 

Published on: April 23, 2019 | Last Updated: April 23, 2019 3:12 PM EDT

A 16-year-old youth charged by police with several terrorism-related offences was rearrested by Kingston Police for breaching his release conditions and for mischief.

The youth was arrested on Jan. 24, following a significant Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigation. He spent 68 days in custody at a youth detention centre before being released on bail earlier this month.

Kingston Police said he was arrested by a patrol unit. Kingston Police Const. Ash Gutheinz said the youth was arrested on Sunday and is facing additional charges of breaching his recognizance and mischief. He could not specify which of his release conditions were breached. The youth was scheduled for bail court on Tuesday and was remanded back into custody. He is scheduled to reappear on April 30 via video.

As reported previously in the Whig-Standard, the conditions of his bail release required him to live with one of his guarantors and forbid him being outside his residence unless accompanied by one of them. His access to the internet and devices capable of accessing the internet was prohibited, and he was forbidden from possessing weapons, as defined by the Criminal Code, which included ammunition, explosives and anything else used or intended to be used to cause death or injury or to threaten or intimidate another person, even if that thing was not originally designed to be a weapon. He was also forbidden from leaving the province. He was required to surrender his passport if he had one and was to be fitted with an ankle monitor.

The teen is currently facing charges of facilitating a terrorist activity between Dec. 20 last year and Jan. 22 this year; counselling another person to deliver, place, discharge or detonate an explosive or other lethal device with intent to cause death or serious injury; making, or having possession, care or control of an explosive substance with intent to cause injury to life or damage to property; intent to cause an explosion likely to cause death, serious injury or damage to property; and threatening a special constable. The charges have not been proven in court.

https://thewhig.prod.postmedia.digital/news/local-news/youth-charged-with-terrorism-arrested-for-breaching-release-conditions/wcm/75ecaef5-36bb-441a-bd0b-b61eabec4e03
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
The charge of uttering threats has been dropped against him.

Charge dropped against teen accused in terror probe: other charges remain

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:40PM EDT 

KINGSTON, Ont. - Prosecutors have dropped one of the charges against a youth accused in a terrorism investigation in Kingston, Ont.

His lawyer, Simon Borys, says the charge of uttering threats was withdrawn in a court hearing on Wednesday.

The teen was charged in January with terror and bomb-related offences.

He was charged in March with further bomb-related offences as well as the now-withdrawn threats offence.

Police charged him about month after that with mischief and breach of bail.

Borys said they hope to proceed with a preliminary inquiry on the terrorism charges early next year.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/charge-dropped-against-teen-accused-in-terror-probe-other-charges-remain-1.4588909

 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
Heard on the radio this morning that he is expected to plead guilty to the charges at his next appearance in February.  Crown is asking for him to be sentenced as a adult to life while his defence is asking to be sentenced as a youth to the maximum of 3 years.
 

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
35
Points
630
211RadOp said:
Heard on the radio this morning that he is expected to plead guilty to the charges at his next appearance in February.  Crown is asking for him to be sentenced as a adult to life while his defence is asking to be sentenced as a youth to the maximum of 3 years.
The latest:  not quite yet according to one of his lawyers ...
An anticipated guilty plea for the youth accused of terrorist activity in Kingston, Ont., has been deferred until early April, according to the teen’s counsel.

The youth, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was scheduled to be in court Wednesday for an “anticipated guilty plea,” but Simon Borys, one of the lawyers representing the accused, said they have deferred the case until April 7.

The teen was originally arrested in Kingston Jan. 29, 2019, following RCMP raids in the city.

He was initially charged with knowingly facilitating terrorist activity and counselling someone to use an explosive or other lethal device to cause death or serious bodily injury.

During his bail hearing, which took place over three days, he was additionally charged with allegedly possessing explosive materials and for taking action to cause an explosion.

(...)

The youth’s case was originally being dealt with in Kingston, but was moved recently to Belleville, since the Quinte Courthouse had more amenities, like more courtrooms and better security screening.

Borys told Global News that the case is now being handled by Justice Elaine Deluzio, rather than Justice Stephen Hunter, who is soon set to retire.

The teen’s counsel would not comment on what he thought the conditions of the plea would be or what kind of sentencing might be anticipated if a guilty plea was indeed entered early April.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
Kingston teen accused in terror plot to plead guilty; agreed statement of facts should solve mystery of RCMP raids

When the teen was arrested, the RCMP refused to hint at what sort of ideology the accused allegedly tilted towards

Adrian Humphreys Adrian Humphreys

Published on: June 16, 2020 | Last Updated: June 16, 2020 3:55 PM EDT

A Kingston, Ont., teenager facing four terrorism charges plans to enter a guilty plea in two weeks when an agreed statement of facts will be presented to an Ontario judge, court heard Tuesday.

Tom Lemon, a Crown prosecutor in the case, said he would be seeking an adult sentence in the matter.

A guilty plea was expected at Tuesday afternoon’s hearing, held remotely from Belleville, Ont., courthouse, but competing commitments by the defence lawyers and the need to go over the agreed statement with the accused using an Arabic interpreter caused the delay, Judge Elaine Deluzio said.

Prosecutors did not object to adjourning until June 30 provided the accused acknowledged an intention to enter a guilty plea, registered his choice to proceed in the Ontario Court of Justice and waived any potential claim of delay in his court process.

Simon Borys, lawyer for the youth, accepted the conditions.

“We agree to the adjournment, or jointly submitting the request for an adjournment, to the 30th with the intention to do the plea then,” Borys told court.

It was not revealed what charges would be covered by the plea.

More at link

https://www.thewhig.com/news/canada/kingston-teen-accused-in-terror-plot-to-plead-guilty/wcm/e1ccdfdd-aef5-45ff-adde-8336f085fc81
 
Top