• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP pwns Newspaper Editor

I would still like to see the video.

The West Kelowna city council hired two retired RCMP members to do traffic enforcement last year and this year. Very effective.

medicineman , since I believe you are new to the Winnipeg area, the following will assist you, especially the driving hints. You do live just off of Portage Ave!

Guide to Winnipeg

First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is WIN-A-PEG, notVIN-A-PEG and it does not matter how people pronounce it in other places.

Winnipeg has its own version of traffic rules. Never forget that downtown Winnipeg is composed in large part of one-way streets. The only way to get out of the center of town is to turn around and start over when you reach the river.

All directions start with, 'Go down Portage.'

Portage Avenue has no beginning and no end.

The 8:00 a.m. Rush hour is from 6:30 to 9:30a.m.
The 5:00 PM rush  hour is from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, there's no chance you're from Winnipeg. Yellow lights are for sissys.

Lagimodiere Blvd. Can only be pronounced by a native Winnipegger, so do not attempt the phonetic pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. (And let's not forget Noter Dayme! And of course, Portidge.)

Bingo, Bugs and Perogies are a way of life. Deal with it.

Construction on the Winnipeg streets in summer is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment. (Especially those dopey-looking city workers holdingup signs in traffic that say in big orange letters 'SLOW'. ( I always want to yell, 'You don't really need to advertise, buddy!'.)

Many bizarre sights can be explained simply by realizing, 'Oh, we're in Transcona!'

Construction crews aren't doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour.

If someone actually has his turn signal on, it was probably left on at the factory where the car was made.

Buying a Winnipeg street map is a waste of money since the termination or continuation of any street is entirely at the discretion of the Works Department of the City: e.g.: Salter, Isabel, Balmoral, Colony, Memorial, Osborne, Dunkirk. You've gone two miles down the same road and the name changes seven times.

Asking directions will help you get acquainted with numerous happy-to-help residents. It may not be any help at all for finding the address you seek.

Never honk your horn at another car in traffic. The bumper sticker that reads, 'Keep honking, I'm reloading.' Is considered a fair warning.

Exit and entry ramps on the Perimeter Hwy. Are just the recommended way of entering and exiting, feel free to exit at any grassy point you wish.

All drivers frightened of heights, stay clear of Charleswood and its ten-foot ditches. Believe me when I say you won't get out without a hundred-dollar towing bill.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your bluespruce.

Down South to you means Grand Forks.

Your 1 July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 0 degrees 'a little chilly.' But it is still t-shirt weather.

It's a dry cold when it is -30 or more.

You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your Manitoba-born friends.

I for one wonder how slim a chance this apology would have happened if the RCMP hadn't offered to provide video of the incident.  I don't call it "Manning up" or "Good on him" when it is simply a case of "Damage control"

Although I noticed his grammar seems to have improved: "between he and I" as opposed to "me and my girlfriend" so I guess he did learn something!

Teflon said:
Although I noticed his grammar seems to have improved: "between he and I" as opposed to "me and my girlfriend" so I guess he did learn something!
Or a lawyer helped with the grammar- and slander-diversion check  ;)

milnews.ca said:
Or a lawyer helped with the grammar- and slander-diversion check  ;)

Yes, sounds more likely.  Guess his "power" as an editor of a newspaper isn't enough to trump the newspaper lawyer's "You are going to get us sued A** hole" powers!

As a veteran journalist, I know the power of words and much of the language and comments I made about Cpl. McLeod in the performance of his duties were uncalled for.

This guy really doesn't stop eh?

His mother obviously never told him that actions speak louder than words.

More specifically the actions of being akin to the person who gets too many cocktails downrange at the office Christmas party and goes "chest-pokey" on his boss, speaks much louder than him claiming he is a "veteran" anything or plugging his own "professionalism".

What a clown.

BZ RCMP

I loved the part about how the Mountie doesn't make the laws, as though there was something wrong or unreasonable with them.

PJGary said:
This guy really doesn't stop eh?

His mother obviously never told him that actions speak louder than words.

More specifically the actions of being akin to the person who gets too many cocktails downrange at the office Christmas party and goes "chest-pokey" on his boss, speaks much louder than him claiming he is a "veteran" anything or plugging his own "professionalism".

What a clown.

BZ RCMP

Redeye said:
I loved the part about how the Mountie doesn't make the laws, as though there was something wrong or unreasonable with them.

yea I caught that.  This too;

my over reaction to what happened between he and I was inappropriate, regardless of what transpired during those 20 minutes.

He's still trying to play the victim.

medicineman said:
Well good for him...takes some stones to do that,

I read over his "apology".........It took something to try and pass that as such but it wasn't stones.

He's more saying "I'm sorry. You're still wrong".

CDN Aviator said:
I read over his "apology".........It took something to try and pass that as such but it wasn't stones.

He's more saying "I'm sorry. You're still wrong, but please don't sue me, or cause me to lose my job".

Fixed.

milnews.ca said:
I will give credit for that - although the writing style of the apology is quite different from the editorial.  Could a legal beagle have been involved in an extra layer of editing?  :nod:

Either that or a very persuasive argument by the Owner and Publisher about employment options should he not apologize to the fine officer who was only doing his job.

Back