• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

October 13, 2016

Government fights lawsuit of female Mountie who says she was subjected to suicide pool and sexual abuse.
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,55.0.html

Discharge of Mountie who developed PTSD after four colleagues murdered violates Charter: lawyer
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/discharge-of-mountie-suffering-from-ptsd-after-seeing-four-colleagues-murdered-violates-charter-lawyer
A former Mayerthorpe RCMP officer who developed post-traumatic stress disorder following the 2005 murder of four of his colleagues is claiming his Charter rights were violated when he was discharged from the force because of his disability.

Former constable Trevor Josok was dismissed June 13, 2016, more than a decade after the tragic shooting that triggered a “disabling condition” that forced him to take a medical leave.

$1B RCMP overtime bill proof of 'exhausted and depressed' members, retirees say
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-overtime-bill-burnout-police-health-retirees-1.3752805
More than 90 per cent of RCMP members work overtime, internal reports show

"There's unlimited overtime," Snow said. "You notice a lot of the members would start working overtime. A lot of overtime. "

That is probably true in other emergency services. There was also a lot of mandated end-of-shift OT where I worked.

Is the RCMP similar to the CF where there are forced postings or could you stay in the same province your entire career if you'd like to?

danteh said:
Is the RCMP similar to the CF where there are forced postings or could you stay in the same province your entire career if you'd like to?

The RCMP has the authority to send any member anywhere in Canada. With that said, the way the RCMP is broken down for HR purposes, every province has its own 'division', as well as additional divisions for protective ops and niche investigations in Ottawa 'National Division', Depot 'T division', and National Headquarters.

Setting aside 'T' and NHQ for a sec- each operational division basically runs its own HR, and they move their own people around. People seldom transfer between divisions except by their own request. Divisions don't like giving up bodies.

It's definitely possible to stay in one province for one's entire career; the larger the RCMP in a given province, the easier this is- so there are plenty of lifers in the provinces where RCMP provide the major policing services. Similarly, thsoe who move into the federal investigations world may well land themselves in Ontario or Quebec and stay there for good if they want.

Within the provinces, there can be quite a bit more unwanted mobility. Lower mainland BC can be easy to get to and stay in, but if for instance you a province in the prairies, you'll probably rotate around a bit and be expected to do a few more remote postings. All the small detachments need to be staffed, and the divisions will tell me "Right, you're moving to Wabasca-Desmarais this coming summer" and off you go.

It can all really really depend on how you end up streaming career wise. Some people end up getting into VIP/close protection and can count on the rest of their career in Ottawa. You can do a varied and complete career just in the Vancouver metropolitan area, work in a half dozen different municipal detachments and provincial and federal units and never get bored. Some guys get into federal, move to Toronto or Montreal and do the rest of their career there. If rural is your style you can bounce around to your heart's content, and some members go north to the territories, fall in love with them and stay there.

So- long winded way of saying 'it depends'. Expect mroe movement early in a career, and then if yuor intent is to find a good location with a lot of RCMP and go static there, it can be done. Moves are still expensive and they're usually happy to have no cost postings.

RCMP tolerates 'misogynistic, racist, and homophobic attitudes:' former Supreme Court justice
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-merlo-davidson-final-report-1.5807022
The federal government needs to conduct an external, independent and in-depth review of the future of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, says a former Supreme Court of Canada justice tasked with dealing with the fallout from the force's historic sexual assault settlement.

"What I learned led me to conclude that a toxic culture prevails in the RCMP. This culture encourages, or at least tolerates, misogynistic, racist, and homophobic attitudes among many members of the RCMP," wrote Michel ​Bastarache in his final report released Thursday titled "Broken Dreams Broken Lives."

"The problem is systemic in nature and cannot be corrected solely by punishing a few 'bad apples.'"

dapaterson said:
RCMP tolerates 'misogynistic, racist, and homophobic attitudes:' former Supreme Court justice
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-merlo-davidson-final-report-1.5807022

And the response:

Commissioner's Statement regarding the Final Report on the Implementation of the Merlo Davidson Settlement Agreement

November 19, 2020

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2020/commissioners-statement-the-final-report-the-implementation-the-merlo-davidson?re

Final Report on the Implementation of the Merlo Davidson Settlement Agreement

RCMP response to the report of the Independent Assessors regarding the claims made under the Merlo/Davidson settlement agreement

Good afternoon,

I am joined today by Gail Johnson, the RCMP Chief Human Resources Officer.

Earlier today, the Honourable Michel Bastarache released his Final Report on the Implementation of the Merlo Davidson Settlement Agreement. The report details violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, bullying and discrimination experienced by women employed by the RCMP between 1974 and 2017.

The women who came forward wanted nothing more than to provide services to their communities. They are our colleagues. Friends. Fellow police officers, some of whom set the path that I have walked – and we failed them because they were women.

These employees experienced clearly unacceptable and often appalling and sometimes violent behaviour because of their gender or because they identified as members of the LGBTQ and Two Spirited community in a place that ought to have been safe and healthy: their workplace. This behaviour was clearly in violation of our Code of Conduct and not what we are as an organization.

The report by Justice Bastarache was difficult to read. I continue to have a number of emotions including feeling ashamed, frustrated, saddened, and angry.

I am angry for what these women and their families experienced. But I am also grateful for the courage they showed in coming forward.

While their stories are very hard to hear, acknowledging and understanding these experiences and how they were allowed to happen is critical to the process of change.

To all of the women who experienced this type of behaviour in the RCMP, I am so very sorry.

Harassment of any kind is unacceptable and it is against our Code of Conduct. I know we mean it when we say it. But the facts are, despite all the reports, recommendations, and changes over the last three decades, this behaviour continues to surface.

It must be stopped. It will not be tolerated.

There is absolutely no room for sexual assault, harassment, discrimination, bullying, sexism, racism, homophobia or transphobia in the RCMP. Let me say it again, let me be clear…. There is absolutely no room for sexual assault, harassment, discrimination, bullying, sexism, racism, homophobia or transphobia in the RCMP. It will not be tolerated and employees will be held to account.

With the support of my management team, I am committed to meaningful change so that I make this organization better than when I joined.

I was appointed as Commissioner with a very clear mandate to modernize and reform the culture and management practices of the RCMP. And, in just over two years, we have made progress.

My senior executive team is a daily example. What was once a male-dominated team now has gender parity and expert civilians in key corporate roles.

We are working very closely with our Management Advisory Board on modernizing the RCMP.

These changes have fundamentally impacted how we discuss issues and arrive at solutions in the RCMP.

I have implemented a comprehensive modernization strategy, our Vision 150, which sets the path towards a healthy and inclusive RCMP.

Vision 150 aligns with the key themes identified in this report: harassment and culture change, systemic barriers, how we recruit and onboard new members, and training and leadership.

Many of our actions are aligned to the recommendations made by Justice Bastarache, and others before him.

We know that we need a trusted harassment resolution process. Over the past 18 months, the RCMP has worked with experts to develop a model for a new independent, civilian-staffed harassment regime outside of the chain-of-command, to ensure employees have access to a trusted, consistent process that is accessible, timely and accountable.

I am pleased to announce that the new Independent Centre for Harassment Resolution will begin operation in Summer 2021.

We are prioritizing key initiatives to advance culture change and to remove systemic barriers.

The RCMP is using Gender-based Analysis+ as an analytical tool to look at systemic issues, and to help us find solutions. We are using GBA + to look at our training, our selection processes, and our policies around maternity and parental leave, to name just a few in order to eliminate barriers for women and diverse groups.

We have launched the RCMP Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategy, to articulate a firm stance against racism and discrimination. Both inside the organization and the communities we serve.

Our employees are our greatest asset. But w e must create an environment that allows each person to maximize their potential, to flourish and to grow. We need to attract and recruit the right people -- diverse candidates that are strong in character and skill.

We are re-vamping our recruitment process to ensure it is modern, inclusive and barrier-free. We are undertaking a review of attributes and characteristics needed for modern policing, and we will use screening measures to detect racist, sexist and discriminatory beliefs.

The training model at the RCMP Academy is under review, and a new Chief Learning Officer and Commanding Officer will guide its modernization in consultation with key experts.

Leadership development continues to be an organizational priority. A leader's character is as important as their competencies and we will ensure that this is reflected in our processes.

We are rolling out a Character Leadership approach, to develop "people skills" and good judgment alongside operational know-how. This will be integrated across recruitment, training and all promotions.

And we are continuing to enhance training to prevent and address systemic discrimination for all employees. This includes new mandatory anti-racism training, being developed with outside experts.

We have a lot of work ahead of us, and I am committed to fully implementing my mandate.

T here is no place in my organization for discrimination, sexual assault, harassment, bullying, sexism, racism, homophobia or transphobia.

As Commissioner of the RCMP, I lead one of the most iconic organizations in Canada. We need to recognize and name the dark parts of our history in order to move forward – and we are moving forward.

Every employee must come forward and speak out against this behavior, and our leaders and supervisors must take immediate action to stop it.

I am deeply concerned by this report -- for the women and for all our people. I am concerned about how this report will be received by our employees and their families, their neighbours and our communities. Like I do, I know our employees love the RCMP. And like I am, I know they are proud of the work they do for Canadians.

I would like to thank Justice Bastarache and his team for their work. This is an important matter and I will be meeting with him to discuss the findings and recommendations. We must reflect on the issues and recommendations, and face them head on. I know we are on the right track.

While I cannot fix the past, I definitely can make a different future. To the women in our organization, to those who may seek to join it, and to everyone in the RCMP–you have my personal commitment to doing all in my power to ensure you can work and thrive in a safe workplace.

I believe we will emerge a stronger, better organization that serves the needs of all Canadians.

Thank you. We will now take any questions you might have.

Back