• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Employment

jwsteele

Inactive
Reaction score
I've got a dilemma.  I've tried contacting RCMP recruiters to ask this question but they are very hard to get answers from.  I want to become an RCMP officer at some point and I also want to serve my country in the armed forces.  I was recently accepted to ROTP Civi U but am trying to decide if I just want to enlist, do 1-2 service terms and then apply to the RCMP.  My question is....would the RCMP value a BA education more than military service and experience?  If I do the ROTP route, by the time I finish my contract I would be too old and taking a major pay cut to join the RCMP.  Also, once you are in the RCMP, is higher education required for specialized jobs like ERT or the protective detail?  Thanks in advance.

jwsteele said:
I've got a dilemma.   I've tried contacting RCMP recruiters to ask this question but they are very hard to get answers from.   I want to become an RCMP officer at some point and I also want to serve my country in the armed forces.   I was recently accepted to ROTP Civi U but am trying to decide if I just want to enlist, do 1-2 service terms and then apply to the RCMP.   My question is....would the RCMP value a BA education more than military service and experience?   If I do the ROTP route, by the time I finish my contract I would be too old and taking a major pay cut to join the RCMP.   Also, once you are in the RCMP, is higher education required for specialized jobs like ERT or the protective detail?   Thanks in advance.

Here is some information for you .....

1.  You're NEVER too old to apply;
2.  The pay cut is a sacrifice that you may have to be prepared to make (also shows your desire to join);
3.  The process is a competitive one and a BA does not guarantee you anything.  You will get points for a BA but a large number of applicants applying for police services have a degree.  It certainly helps your chances with the testing, interviews etc.  You still have to start at the bottom with everyone else and earn your way.  As for the specialized jobs, again it's competitive, but now you're competing against other RCMP officers.  The training you require for a specialized position will be given to you.  It might help in a situation where you are a diving instructor and are considering the Under Water Search and Recovery Unit.  The military experience will also help you a great deal.  Many CF members have retired and then joined a police service. 

You'll have to weigh your options and make the choice.  If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

san

Back