• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF IntO Posting

Stack

Reaction score
Need some help, its my first year in the CAF and got the posting talk from my CM. For some background info I am a single and prefer living in the shacks and eating at the mess to save on costs. I want to avoid Ottawa because of the high cost of living but I will likely be posted there regardless. The positions that are available are:

North Bay - 22 wing

Ottawa- CJOC, CFINTCOM / CDI / CFJIC
Ottawa -JIOC (CFICC / JTIC)
Ottawa - RCAF HQ (C Air Force)

Trenton-8 Wing

Cold Lake - 4 Wg / Sqns

Winnipeg-1 Cdn Air Div

Ideally I want to be posted in a tactical unit as I was told its the highest chance for deployment and best for my career progression. Can anyone list the pros and con of these orgs. TIA!

Rations and Quarters are unlikely on most bases once you're finished training. Not impossible, but don't count on R&Q being available.

I've been posted to both Cold Lake and Trenton. If I had to choose between the two Trenton would win every time. Ottawa is a great place to be posted, but I'd personally avoid CFINTCOM/CDI if possible. Headquarters jobs aren't exactly thrill-a-minute jobs.

Manage your expectations regarding deployments in the first couple of years. Even after completing your courses you still have a lot of learning to do on the job, and you'll likely be holding the fort while the more experienced people go out the door.

Edit: I know the A2 in Trenton, he's the former WCWO and would be a great mentor for a new IntO.

What kind of community do you want to live in? When you're off duty, do you want to wander through the brush, or go to a vegan coffee shop that roasts their own ethically sourced beans?

You will have a life outside your job; you need to consider where you want to spend that life.

If you want the best chance to deploy, go to a flying Wing (Trenton or Cold Lake, on your list) — that way when a deployment kicks out the door you stand the best chance of going along. People do deploy out of Winnipeg and Ottawa, but in a higher headquarters there’s a greater chance that your boss will keep you in your cubicle instead of signing off on a deployment, as you won’t be replaced.

Agreed with all points above, but especially @dapaterson ’s about where you actually want to live for a few years. You may think that you want to stay in shacks and eat at the mess, but if you’re there for 3-4 years (or more) then you may change your tune.

I would also caution not to career-chase to the detriment of experiences. By that, I mean trying to get promoted as fast as possible by going down the standard career path and missing out on interesting, but not necessarily career-making, postings. It’s much more enjoyable to have some cool experiences and stay a Captain or Major for a bunch more years, than just try to “Scrit-chase” for promotion.

It’s much more enjoyable to have some cool experiences and stay a Captain or Major for a bunch more years, than just try to “Scrit-chase” for promotion.
Amen!

I keep telling the folks at all the offices I inspect to slow down and enjoy the experience. I was a Sgt for 8 years, they were by far the best years of my career so far. By not chasing promotion I felt prepared for promotion when it came, and I managed to get more experience than any of my current peers.

More pay is nice, but not feeling like you're two ranks above your ability is nicer. I've worked with/for people who were out of their depth, and knew it... They tended to not be happy people.

Amen!

I keep telling the folks at all the offices I inspect to slow down and enjoy the experience. I was a Sgt for 8 years, they were by far the best years of my career so far. By not chasing promotion I felt prepared for promotion when it came, and I managed to get more experience than any of my current peers.

More pay is nice, but not feeling like you're two ranks above your ability is nicer. I've worked with/for people who were out of their depth, and knew it... They tended to not be happy people.
Agreed. But not only that, since you seemed to remain within your trade/area of expertise.

I spent 10+ years as a Capt playing “whack-a-mole” with postings which sometimes had nothing to do with my trade. Some of those were not seen as great postings - I asked for a specific one, and more than a few peers thought I was out of my mind. If I was a scrit-chaser, it would have been seen as “bad” because I was many years behind my peers for promotion. But, my random areas of expertise also meant that I had a far bigger network of folks not necessarily in my trade, which has helped get cross-domain contacts together.

Anyways OP, long story long, do what interests you and not what people tell you should interest you. Also, if you get a posting that seems not-ideal, go in with an open mind and see what you can improve. It may not have anything to do with the job per se, but maybe you end up really liking the area.

Int O here. My suggestion? Cold Lake, followed by Trenton, Winnipeg, and then Ottawa. In Ottawa, try to get to the operational level (eg CJOC of the JIOC).
Going strat early does have advantages, but going to tactical later is harder as the expectations are higher and the learning curve is steeper.
If you want to go to Ottawa at any point as an Int O, just mention it. It will happen very quickly. If you show up there with squadron time, you'll have credibility.
You likely won't get R+Q. Sorry.

Thanks all for the advice, hopefully I will get Trenton or Cold Lake, my third option is undecided but hearing horror stories from Ottawa COL makes me want to get posted anywhere but there.

Thanks all for the advice, hopefully I will get Trenton or Cold Lake, my third option is undecided but hearing horror stories from Ottawa COL makes me want to get posted anywhere but there.
Never leave a blank posting option on your My Career page through EMMA, or in an email where they ask for three. A blank space tells the CM/CoC that you don't really care where you go, which means you might get the place you least want (Ottawa).

Never leave a blank posting option on your My Career page through EMMA, or in an email where they ask for three. A blank space tells the CM/CoC that you don't really care where you go, which means you might get the place you least want (Ottawa).
A blank space for the Int O career manager is CFINTCOM.

A blank space for the Int O career manager is CFINTCOM.
Seems like I got Cold Lake. As a single mid 20's junior officer do you have any advice/tips so I can start preparing/dealing with this posting. Debating whether I should live in shacks, PMQs or buying my own place.

Seems like I got Cold Lake. As a single mid 20's junior officer do you have any advice/tips so I can start preparing/dealing with this posting. Debating whether I should live in shacks, PMQs or buying my own place.
Congratulations!

First off, you will love the provincial tax situation and the general cost of living.

Secondly, if you love the outdoors (camping, hunting, fishing, boating, quading, snowmobiling) again, you are in luck!

Thirdly, you will find the work fascinating on a Fighter Wing.

Fourthly, I spent my first couple of tours at fairly remote, rural bases and the friends that I made there were friends for life. You really can have a good time. It is what you make it.

Finally, make sure you have a good reliable vehicle. If you want the City Life- Edmonton is 3 hrs away.

Good Luck!

How long is your posting? Entering the housing market is very easy, selling is another question. There are A LOT of listings and you get all kinds of choices. I would still buy or live in town, being able to disconnect with the base after work is worth it on it's own. Move into the shacks first and get a lay of the land, buying after a quick HHT could leave you with regrets on area. There will never be a shortage of property in Cold Lake.

How long is your posting? Entering the housing market is very easy, selling is another question. There are A LOT of listings and you get all kinds of choices. I would still buy or live in town, being able to disconnect with the base after work is worth it on it's own. Move into the shacks first and get a lay of the land, buying after a quick HHT could leave you with regrets on area. There will never be a shortage of property in Cold Lake.
Was told its around 2-3 years since its my first posting of me being OFP. Not sure if I want to live in a house by myself, was thinking of either living in shacks or just renting a 1 bedroom apartment. Since my HHT will be paid for should I still just go there and see how the shacks is or could I just get the credit I would have spent deposited in my bank account?

Was told its around 2-3 years since its my first posting of me being OFP. Not sure if I want to live in a house by myself, was thinking of either living in shacks or just renting a 1 bedroom apartment. Since my HHT will be paid for should I still just go there and see how the shacks is or could I just get the credit I would have spent deposited in my bank account?

Run the numbers on what renting for three years would look like versus maybe buying a condo? That lets you start amassing equity in a property; that can grow and follow you anywhere you move through your career. Every dollar spent in rent is a dollar you’ll never see any of it back. Getting into the ownership market as early as you can in life can really work out to your advantage.

Congrats! You're heading into the fighter force at an interesting time, and I suggest you focus your PD on 5th Gen data networks as well as the usual opfor fighter stuff. Other than that, just "do." At about the 3 year mark, either push to Winnipeg (to mingle with the Air Ops folks) or start to look at an int specialty like CI or SH.

Back