• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Flight Suit (ALSE) - Split from VAdm Norman

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but the ATLAS suit is meant only as a concept prototype. The positive aspects will be retained and incorporated into whatever the new version will look like, which, when I last checked, was not expected to be in final development for several years to come. Unless someone can convince the Comd RCAF to write off the 14,000 off pairs of one-piece suits recently procured and the 5-7k sets of two-piece CADPAT versions, there is no appetite to expedite the process.
If everyone goes through flight suits at the rate I go through them, we should be out in a year. I imagine quality and durability wasn’t part of the SOR…

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but the ATLAS suit is meant only as a concept prototype. The positive aspects will be retained and incorporated into whatever the new version will look like, which, when I last checked, was not expected to be in final development for several years to come. Unless someone can convince the Comd RCAF to write off the 14,000 off pairs of one-piece suits recently procured and the 5-7k sets of two-piece CADPAT versions, there is no appetite to expedite the process.

I’d just like to thank to dumbass who decided LRP doesn’t need 2 piece, and would like them to be ordered on the next CARIBBE with a 1 piece and made to do every single flight. Remember your Pepto!

Then, go on SCC or something in the summer and work nothing but Ordnance for each flight.

Of course it would be stupid to issue the CADPAT 2 piece to anyone other than TH…

ATLAS isn't supposed to replace the 1-piece suit.

I’d just like to thank to dumbass who decided LRP doesn’t need 2 piece, and would like them to be ordered on the next CARIBBE with a 1 piece and made to do every single flight. Remember your Pepto!

Then, go on SCC or something in the summer and work nothing but Ordnance for each flight.

Of course it would be stupid to issue the CADPAT 2 piece to anyone other than TH…
The Coasties called the “indigestion” caused by that place “The Comalapa Ploppas”.

The Coasties called the “indigestion” caused by that place “The Comalapa Ploppas”.

We called it Op Shigella … we had a group msg app thing on the go on my last one in '19. here's a few pics that went around...

43178830_2177438875804785_4557855556924080128_n.jpg BFZO8165.JPG

* Walmart in San Salvador "pepto bismal" is NOT as effective as north american Walmart pepto bismal. 😆

The plantains at the hotel are actually a pretty good substitute for pepto.

Just...don't drink the breakfast coffee!! Our ATFC was convinced it was the coffee (water)...

I kinda miss that place now that I'm thinking about it.

Forgot to mention, had a SWO brief today and it was passed on that we will be changing out the current CAG (Canadian Average Green) and blue thread slip-OMS for DEU slip-ons in 2023. Specifically for flight suits and jackets, I didn’t ask if it was also for all CADPAT stuff or just flying clothing.

The CCWO EA was sporting new high-vis rank on their CADPAT back in the summer when CWO Hall was in town for a visit; so there will be a change to CADPAT yet again. This will be version 3 of slip-ons for op dress for me.

YFR? Sorry got none of that. Money for misc and unimportant dress changes? Step right up!

Forgot to mention, had a SWO brief today and it was passed on that we will be changing out the current CAG (Canadian Average Green) and blue thread slip-OMS for DEU slip-ons in 2023. Specifically for flight suits and jackets, I didn’t ask if it was also for all CADPAT stuff or just flying clothing.

The CCWO EA was sporting new high-vis rank on their CADPAT back in the summer when CWO Hall was in town for a visit; so there will be a change to CADPAT yet again. This will be version 3 of slip-ons for op dress for me.

YFR? Sorry got none of that. Money for misc and unimportant dress changes? Step right up!
Lucrative time to be the tailor.

Or the provider of slip-ons. I have 4 flight shirts, 2 jackets...

The other part mentioned, of course...wings, name tags and patches. No word on that other than "you won't have to buy new ones right away".

My comment was the system should supply replacements if current ones are to be phased out. I've got a big enough collection of "can't wear" stuff now.

Or crappily sew them on yourself. I won't say whether or not I do that...

Honestly, that makes sense. If the CADPAT is going to the velcro, leaving the flight suit slip-on as an orphan line, get rid of it since it reduces the stocks that Stores needs to carry. Or attach yet more velcro and put the CADPAT ranks on the shoulders.

Interesting. It is a PITA trying to see ranks until they're about 3 feet in front of you, like this Terminal Lance comic.

1668078963139.png

I think that this will actually save money in the end. RCAF is getting rid of an entire line of slip-ons that the current CADPAT doesn't use. That also means reducing stocks at Clothing stores since DEU slip-ons are ordered from Logistik, and aircrew will (likely) not need CADPAT velcro rank unless for specific reasons.

Trying a test run of a new colour on CADPAT doesn't take a lot of money or staff work.

Also, the "buckets of money" trope gets tossed around a lot, but RCAF CWO isn't dealing with YFR and those things. On the flip side, I highly doubt that Comd RCAF is really involved in the colours of slip-ons.

Good to see people having less issue with the positive elements of the OTW shirt and the whole concept of a 2-pc suit in general.

Here's some pics and info on FOCE and ATLAS:

'Scuse my outsider ignorance and apologies if it is discussed upthread, but what is with the large tan midriff and tan leg patches?

Torso looks like breathable fire-retardant mesh material that is well-suited to comfort when wearing vest/plates…unless I’m expecting too much from today’s RCAF.

Torso looks like breathable fire-retardant mesh material that is well-suited to comfort when wearing vest/plates…unless I’m expecting too much from today’s RCAF.
Yes. It's very much like the Army OTW shirt.

'Scuse my outsider ignorance and apologies if it is discussed upthread, but what is with the large tan midriff and tan leg patches?
From the RCafe Idea that spawned this, I believe the colour was just the most easily available at the time. These are prototypes so there will be further work on colours, etc.

For RCAF folks, there are also surveys about flight suits in general on the RCAF Hangar page.

Back