• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about Marriage in the CAF [Merged]

army

Inactive
Reaction score
Posted by james nott <jtnott@yahoo.com> on Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:27:06 -0800 (PST)
My wife and I are currently in the reserves and have
been thinking about the reg. force. I am not sure it
is the best idea because of the time spent apart.
Needless to say I love being in the military and would
like to do it full time. If anyone out there has any
suggestions as to if it would be a wise choice or not
please write back. Thanks
Jamie
NOTE: To remove yourself from this list, send a message
to majordomo@cipherlogic.on.ca from the account you wish
to remove, with the line "unsubscribe army" in the
message body.

Posted by "dave newcombe" <davebo@seaside.net> on Mon, 13 Mar 2000 00:12:05 -0800
Do it! There isn‘t another place like it. You will meet and make the best
friends of your life. The sacrifices you make are what makes it so special.
Not everyone is cut out to SERVE the country, do it with honour, and you
will never look back with regets. Read what these soldiers are saying, they
have regrets only about leaving.
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 8:27 PM
Subject: army and marriage
> My wife and I are currently in the reserves and have
> been thinking about the reg. force. I am not sure it
> is the best idea because of the time spent apart.
> Needless to say I love being in the military and would
> like to do it full time. If anyone out there has any
> suggestions as to if it would be a wise choice or not
> please write back. Thanks
>
>
> Jamie
> _________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
> NOTE: To remove yourself from this list, send a message
> to majordomo@cipherlogic.on.ca from the account you wish
> to remove, with the line "unsubscribe army" in the
> message body.
--------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: To remove yourself from this list, send a message
to majordomo@cipherlogic.on.ca from the account you wish
to remove, with the line "unsubscribe army" in the
message body.

I am a applicant for Canadian Forces (DEO).

I recently got merit listed for Jan. 2007 basic training. I received a letter from CFRC that I have to notify them change in marital status, any medical condition, any problem with law before enrollment....etc.

I did not have have any problem with law or health....  but I am already engaged and I am planning to get married next week, as during training, it will be hard to find time for that....  as my fiancé  is from Greece... ( I also have  Greek background)... she has no criminal record....

Will my marriage to a foreign national, affect my enrollment? Should I delay my marriage plans???

Please help as I am really worried....  :crybaby: 

Thanks in advance.... :salute:

What are the rules regarding fraternization in the forces, btw NCO and also officers.

Example, what would happen if I joined the military as an NCO, and my girl friend went to RMC and became an officer.

I'm not sure of what the regulations are, so if someone could tell me or point me to a document/page that describes things, that would be awsome.

Thanks.

Is there such thing as marriage leave for CF members?  What is the usual practice for such events?

Any help is appreciated.

The usual practice it to take some of your annual leave allocation, there is no special leave for getting married.

All this information can be obtained though through your Orderly Room or Ships Office. :)

CF1919:

Go here:  http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/016-01_e.asp  for everything you could possibly want to know about leave.

The short answer has already been given you:  You'll use your Annual leave allocation.

Be aware, that the above referenced CFAO MAY have been expanded upon or altered through DAODs, CANFORGENS, or other orders that I do not have access to.

The best answer to your question remains that given by Ex-Dragoon

Ex-Dragoon said:
All this information can be obtained though through your Orderly Room or Ships Office. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Or from your supervisors, or even from researching pubs yourself as it is every members responsibility to do. The OR's are not stood up to allow every CF member the luxury of laziness.

Sort like on this site, do a search and if you still find nothing, then you ask.

Your CO has the authority to grant a certain amount of short or special leave.  When I was married in '98 my CO gave me some special leave.  It wasn't alot, 2 days or so, but it was greatly appreciated.   I used it in conjunction with my annual leave.  Many CO's I have had have also granted up to 5 days special on the birth of a child as well, which I have also been fortunate enough to have been granted for 2 of my 3 kids.  It is not an entitlement but rather something a CO can grant if in his judgement it is deserved.  It doesn't hurt to ask if your unit/CO has a policy on it.  The worst that will happen is you'll be denied.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Thank you for all the replies.  I've been reading this forum for over a year now and am familiar with the general rules.  It wasn't until now that I needed to post anything.

This confirms everything I have found so far, I just wanted to utilize the years of experience on this forum from a broad spectrum of backgrounds.

Thank you again.

I recently got married.  I went into the OR and gave them a copy of my certificate, told them who was married to,  sent him to the OR as well,  and now they are a little stumped as to how I change my last name.  I looked up change of name and well not much is available,  The going thing in Canada is that the wife assumes the husbands last name at time of marriage using the marriage certificate or statement of marriage as valid id until such time as her new photo ID comes back.  But then I have other people saying I have to do a legal name change, that I have to live with my husband for one year before I can use his last name,  that I have to go get fingerprinted before I can use his lastname,  ....  I was just hoping someone, perhaps a clerk, would have a more definant answer. 

Thank you

You will have to reapply health card.you'll need your wedding certificate for your drivers license,you just go to the dept where you get it usually.And you'll need the marriage certificate for your new social insurance number card.

Please keep in mind that if it's in Ontario they do not recognize the church marriage certificate.You need the provincial one.

Clerks unable to help...seem's to be a common theme.God I miss having good clerks.

PK19 said:
  ....  I was just hoping someone, perhaps a clerk, would have a more definant answer. 

Since the registration of vital statisitics is a provincial responsibility, the provincial government in your province of residence/marriage (I'm assuming Alberta) should have all the info.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/790.cfm
Married Last Name
In Alberta, a woman may assume the last name of her husband as this is traditionally recognized. She may assume just his last name or her last name combined with his; the order of the two last names is optional.

When a woman marries in Alberta and chooses to assume her husband's last name, Alberta Vital Statistics does not deem this to be a legal change of name. When a couple marries in Alberta, Vital Statistics will not change the woman's birth record to reflect her newly assumed last name nor would a notification document be forwarded to another province/country (in which she was born) advising them of such. When a woman, who marries in Alberta only assumes her husband's last name, she may decide to return to the last name on her birth certificate at any time.

It is important to note that Alberta legislation may differ from other jurisdictions. For example, another province may consider an assumed name, through marriage, a legal change of name. The province may be required, under legislation, to change the woman's birth record (or notify the province in which she was born), to reflect her newly assumed name. It is advisable to contact the province in which you were married to determine their legislation requirements.

Alberta Marriage - Changing Identification
Once married, the woman may start changing her identification. For example, the bride takes the Marriage Statement (presented to the couple at the ceremony) or an official government Marriage Certificate and goes to a registry agent to have her driver's licence and vehicle registration records changed to show the new name. Once she has the driver's licence in the new name, she would take the newly issued driver's licence and the marriage certificate/statement and go to the next place where she wants her name changed and so on.

All identification should be eventually made to have the same name. Some organizations will not accept the Marriage Statement as official proof of marriage and will require an official government Marriage Certificate. Official government documents may be ordered from a registry agent.

A husband may assume the last name of the bride if he so desires. As it is not traditionally recognized for the groom to assume the bride's last name, he may have problems with some organizations that will not recognize this change. An option available to the groom is to have a legal change of name processed. This service is available through a registry agent. Note that a legal change of name will change the groom's name on his birth certificate.

To the best of my knowledge, Quebec is the only province that requires a legal name change process when a woman chooses to take her husband's surname.  Every other province simply allows you to file the appropriate forms for name changes on driver licences, health cards, etc, using the marriage certificate as proof. 

As X-mo-1979 pointed out, Ontario requires the provincial certificate; however, I was led to believe (by the lady at Motor Vehicles) that they are not the only ones.  Since 9/11, virtually everybody requires better documentation.  In my case, when we moved to Ontario, we had to produce a marriage certificate along with my wife's birth certificate in order for her to get her driver's licence.  Imagine our surprise when after running home, tearing through dozens of boxes (we hadn't finished unpacking from the move) and running back to Motor Vehicles, they refused to accept the only certificate we'd ever had - the one issued by the church, that everyone previous had always accepted.  We actually had to write the Province of Nova Scotia, pay the appropriate fee, and have them issue an official marriage certificate - 15 years after the marriage had taken place!  Needless to say, we didn't get her licence that day.

\

Stand by I have my best people on the original question but in the mean time for your reading pleasure see below!

I can take this one a step deeper into the muck. My wife and I moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia. A couple of years later we came back to Ontario for a week to get married because at the time both sides of the family were living here. So we continue to live in marital bliss until we were posted to Toronto. We went in to get our driver's licences changed over. They asked my wife if she'd ever had a licence in Ontario and she said yes (Dumb). So they refused to give her an Ontario one without proof of name change. So Our NS driver's licence, valid passports AND both with CF ID and in uniform were not good enough to prove name change. So we went home and got our marriage cert. It said right across the top WITH  the Coat of Arms "Certificate of Marriage from the Province of ONTARIO"

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! They wanted her to go down to the courts and get a "legal name change." We didn't get her's either. She went to another licence place and when asked if she'd ever had an Ontario licence she said "no" and was out in 10 m inutes with a new one.

I asked why all the BS in getting it changed over and I was told that the Ontairo drivers licence was going to hold a higher security level so you could use it to get across the Canada/US border. Apparently higher that our CF ID. Got to love the Centre of the Universe

Maybe I should put this in the "Dumbest thing you heard" thread!

While I was writing this came back.

Good afternoon PO,

Please be advised that the mbr will have to produce a legal marriage certificate and fill out the attached form to have her name changed within the Canadian Forces Documentation.  Should you have any other questions please contact the undersigned.

Have a great afternoon[/color][/color]
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DHRIM/mhrrp/ch13/engraph/SD_Name_Assumed_Marriage_e.doc

Any problems send me a PM

FDO said:
I asked why all the BS in getting it changed over and I was told that the Ontairo drivers licence was going to hold a higher security level so you could use it to get across the Canada/US border. Apparently higher that our CF ID. Got to love the Centre of the Universe

Ah, yes...the Enhanced Driver's Licence (EDL).

It's in a completely different category than our CF ID, as the CF ID can't be used to cross the border.

FDO said:

Maybe I should put this in the "Dumbest thing you heard" thread!

While I was writing this came back.

Too late, I already posted a similar woe (reply #914).  Never mind your CF ID, apparently a current Canadian passport isn't good enough for them, either.  ::)

Back