• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

redleafjumper said:
Who is the only Canadian recipient of the Gold Life Saving Medal of the Order of St. John?

Cheers,

No jumping the line my old trackmate  8)

Wait until the last question is answered and whoever got it right has the option of the next question. Lets not turn this into a clusterfrack like the name that weapon/vehicle thread.  ;D

redleafjumper said:
Who is the only Canadian recipient of the Gold Life Saving Medal of the Order of St. John?

Cheers,

a long shot but- Lassie

Edit to add:

Sorry Danjanou  :-[

BernDawg,

You are correct.  It was used by The Canadian Guards at whatever post they were stationed.

I see my clever ruse of "it's not googlable" did not work.  The force is strong in you young BernDawg!

The next question is yours, I think.

Dan.

Thank you, Thank you very much (insert Elvis drawl here)

Where did the expression "Lock, stock and barrel" come from?

BernDawg,

I actually saw a paid re-enactor in period uniform explain this to a group of tourists at Fort George (Niagara-on-the-Lake) one summer long ago.

The King's soldier was explaining the workings of the Brown Bess musket to everyone.  The Brown Bess at the time was the cutting edge of killing technology used by the British infantry.  It was composed of three parts.  The stock is the wooden part that runs from the shoulder stock to just short of the muzzle.  The lock comprises the moving parts located to the right of the breech (trigger, hammer, pan, striker etc).  The barrel is, of course, the barrel which carries the bullet to velocity.  Hence, if one had everything needed for a particular task, it was said that one had "the lock, stock and barrel".

Dan.

BernDawg said:
Where did the expression "Lock, stock and barrel" come from?

Means "The whole thing" and it comes from musket. The lock, or flintlock, which is the firing mechanism. The stock, which is the wooden butt-end of the gun. The barrel.. as the metal tube.

Edit to add this part.
Ah.. someone beat me to it. Bravo Zulu to you.

Close gentlemen, very close but I'm looking for a little more.  I'll leave it out there for a little longer yet.

Most sources indicate the first use of the term was by Sir Walter Scott in 1817, when he wrote:"Like the High-landman's gun, she wants stock, lock, and barrel, to put her into repair."

That is, of course, surprisingly late.

Straight out of wikipedia :)

Lock, stock, and barrel is a popular term used predominately in the United Kingdom and North America meaning 'all', 'total', 'everything'. The term itself derives from the components of a musket; the 'Lock' being the firing mechanism, 'Stock' being the wooden butt-end of the gun and 'Barrel; being cylindrical component, concurring 'all' the components of the gun.

The Term was first recorded in the letters of Sir Walter Scott in 1817, in the line "Like the High-landman's gun, she wants stock, lock, and barrel, to put her into repair".[citation needed]

It is, however, thought that this term evolved into a popular saying some years before in England.

Roger that.  The refrence I had was that the term, while meaning everything of course, was taken from (and for) vendors of firearms in the preceding centuries as they would sell parts of firearms and the buyer had to specify that they required the lock, stock and barrel to ensure that they, in fact, recieved an entire firearm that was ready to use.  To settle the bun-fight I'll give it to the first poster Exspy.  Take 'er away brother.
(however I am dying to find out the answer to Redleaf's question)

I don't want to jump the cue, but if someone wants to put forth a guess I will be happy to put out the answer.

Cheers,,
Redleafjumper

I have tried to find the answer however have come to dead ends, I have read about two recent recipients, a Cadet with the St. Johns Ambulance service in england, and a 9 year old girl who have both been award the medal, however i also read that only 2 Gold Life Saving Medals had ever been given out.

I can differ to redleafjumper for now.

My next question has to do with the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

Dan.

Thanks exspy.  I will provide a clue if that helps.  The person in question (note clever avoidance of gender identification) was also awarded the Cross of Valour.

Cheers,

Redleafjumper

Gee, I picked this one because it didn't google well.  Someone must have a guess.  You'll say, "Oh, I should have known that!" when the answer is revealed.

I am just going to throw a name out there because i have tried to google this as well and have had no luck to find an answer.

Robert Gordon Teather?

Well i would say the two SARtechs that were awarded it most recently would be worthy candidates as well, however their are two of them not one.

perhaps another clue as this questions seems almost non-googlable

The person in question performed his service after he retired from the CF at his job.  The incident was pre 1996.

Back