• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about monthly limit on Class A pay for Reservists

Because "back in the day" no one even considered making a part-time job a pensionable endeavour. That these volunteer days may need to be counted as earned towards something, anything other than a CD was just "out there".

On a related note I recall reading a Briefing Note that had been sent to my boss when I worked in HR-Mil proposing that a wholesale change to the calculation of CD eligibility should be done for Reservists based on "a day is a day", meaning a Reservist would have to accumulate 4380 real days of service before being eligible for a CD. This was during the days when they were still trying to figure out how to determine pension eligibility for Reservists and how to calculate Class A Reserve service.
Any change like that would have to be done by the Crown and would be out of the hands of the military. There certainly would be a lot fewer CD's handed out to PRES. Without any prior service, CIC Officers would require 175 years in uniform to qualify.

and for the OP

if you are in Toronto for your div you are auth 60 days of class a. You can work a maximum 12 consecutive days and a max of 15 days in the month. The CO can auth you to work an additional 80 days. If you have over 60 days then your HRA staff should be staffing a request to exceed the 80 days to bde (unless bde comd has already blanket authorized 100 days which may be the case). In total counting the levels of auth there is the potential of 120 days with div comd approval. Could go higher but to my knowledge div comd would not support a request exceeding his ceiling limit.

and for the OP

if you are in Toronto for your div you are auth 60 days of class a. You can work a maximum 12 consecutive days and a max of 15 days in the month. The CO can auth you to work an additional 80 days. If you have over 60 days then your HRA staff should be staffing a request to exceed the 80 days to bde (unless bde comd has already blanket authorized 100 days which may be the case). In total counting the levels of auth there is the potential of 120 days with div comd approval. Could go higher but to my knowledge div comd would not support a request exceeding his ceiling limit.

The CO can auth additional days up to a total of 80, not an additional 80 days.

And in keeping with "heritage and tradition" then calculation for Reg Force CDs should change to the eligibility requirements that existed when there were separate long service medals and decorations for regular and reserve. When the single medal for all was selected, the 12 year requirement came from the Efficiency Medal (and Decoration for officers) which was the award for Reservists (clasps were for additional 6 years); Regulars (other ranks only) received the LS&GC for 18 years service (plus 10 more for the clasp), Regular officers got nothing.

Still the case in the UK. Commissioned Officers are not eligible for gongs to recognize long service and good conduct.

Those attributes are just assumed to be one important part of being a good leader :)

Still the case in the UK. Commissioned Officers are not eligible for gongs to recognize long service and good conduct.

Those attributes are just assumed to be one important part of being a good leader :)

That changed in 2016.

The Long Service and Good Conduct (LSGC) Medal for the army is awarded to personnel in recognition of long service. The regulations were updated on 1 October 2016.

To qualify, you must have:
  • 15 years’ reckonable service in the army
  • a clear record with no misconduct for at least the last 15 years
  • been serving on or after 29 July 2014, if you’re an officer
  • been serving on or after 1 October 2016, if you’re an ‘other rank’

I see its changed, but I think the premise behind this was a good idea.

and for the OP

I have had to go through this process many times. I've been over 130 once, but that was at the beginning of covid, and March got a lot busier then expected.

oops, proof reading not there. Correct up to an additional 80. Thanks for picking that up

Back