• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

I believe Australia and New Zealand avoided all the things that cause 15 pages of angst for us by simply declining to award QDJMs; smart folks, those antipodeans.

It's an exclusive club...

MP defends giving Queen's Jubilee medal to jailed woman
Anti-abortionists honoured by Conservative MP

Vellacott continued, "It's a pretty upside down world when we honour abortionists like Henry Morgentaler for killing over 5,000 babies and imprison precious women, like Mary Wagner and Linda Gibbons, who try to save babies from such savagery. They are the real heroes of humanity!"

Wagner is being held at the prison for women at Milton, Ont. and is awaiting trial for violating the terms of her probation. She was arrested in August for entering an abortion clinic in Toronto, after being arrested last November for entering another Toronto clinic where she had been arrested twice before.

Gibbons has been arrested repeatedly for violating injunctions in front of clinics, and refuses to sign bail orders that would require her to agree to an injunction.

link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/10/23/pol-anti-abortionists-queens-diamond-jubilee-medals.html

Wait a sec, I can't get the medal cause I got in trouble.. but someone in prison can?

Bzzliteyr said:
Wait a sec, I can't get the medal cause I got in trouble.. but someone in prison can?
I guess it all depends on the kinda trouble you get into, and whether an MP agrees with/condones the trouble you're in, or classifies it as, in the words of the GG's official criteria .....
Hav(ing) made a significant contribution to a particular province, territory, region or community within Canada, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada
:facepalm:

E.R. Campbell said:
I believe Australia and New Zealand avoided all the things that cause 15 pages of angst for us by simply declining to award QDJMs; smart folks, those antipodeans.

:nod:

E.R. Campbell said:

While the ADF does some seemingly ridiculous things (like having a pin on the DEUs to recognize being fit for deployment, instead of it just being "understood"), not awarding QDJMs is a good idea. 

milnews.ca said:
I guess it all depends on the kinda trouble you get into, and whether an MP agrees with/condones the trouble you're in, or classifies it as, in the words of the GG's official criteria .....  :facepalm:

I do find it constitutionally interesting that one representative of Her Majesty can find someone worthy of imprisonment, and another representative of Her Majesty can find the same person worthy of the award of a medal. Kind of reminds me a little of the time in the late 40's when two constitutional monarchies (India and Pakistan) fought a fierce war against each other, despite King George VI being the Head of State of both nations.

Bzzliteyr said:
Makes the idea of a Canadian Forces bar on the medal all the more appealing, doesn't it?  It would be more clear what came from our merit based selection process as opposed to …

....which would lead to a whole debate on "merit."

I'm sure there're people out there who believe that imprisoned anti-abortionists are just as meritorious as a self-promoting, anti-military sound-byte hound -- both of which are 'superior' to mere military people who've served their country, their communities, deployed in the name of Canadian honour, prestige, and international worth.....you know, that stuff.

::)

Yesterday, I fired off a strongly-worded e-mail to Maurice Vellacott (and his boss) on the subject of this medal being awarded to Wagner and Gibbons.  What I got back from Vellacott's Parliamentary e-mail account was a diatribe, written in the third person, from the pro-life movement. 

Deja vu all over again. 
screwy.gif

Occam said:
Yesterday, I fired off a strongly-worded e-mail to Maurice Vellacott (and his boss) on the subject of this medal being awarded to Wagner and Gibbons.  What I got back from Vellacott's Parliamentary e-mail account was a diatribe, written in the third person, from the pro-life movement. 

Deja vu all over again. 
screwy.gif

At least the reply didn't come from the persona of an unborn baby, kinda like the creepy books from fightclub spoken from the persons organs.

I like the idea of a bar on the QDJM for military issue.  I see a problem with this though:

Let's take the no bar scenario:  Cpl Bloggins is awarded a QDJM from his local MP for his stellar work in the community (whatever it might be).  Let's say his CoC wants to award him one for being  the best Cpl ever!  Way above his peers, he would rightly deserve it.  He then mentions that he's already received one, and maybe the CoC says "OK, we'll just award it to the next deserving individual"

Now lets look at the bar scenario:  Cpl Bloggins is awarded a QDJM from his local MP for his stellar work in the community (whatever it might entail).  Let's say his CoC wants to award him one for being  the best Cpl ever!  Way above his peers, he would rightly deserve it.  Does he accept (knowing that his peers will view the bar in a better light than without)?  Can he wear both, as now there are essentially two levels of QDJM?  If he wears only one, can he give back the "lesser" award he's already accepted, to be awarded to someone else?  Is that even possible?

Thoughts?

Well, I stop moving to the right once I hit the NATO medals, so a bar isn't going to do much.

Seems the CF came across another 5000 QDJMs and are looking for nominations (again).

Wonderful.

So now, we can debate a bar for military QDJM, bar and shield for making the first round (now that we're into tier 2 nominations)....bar, shield, and oakleaf cluster for civ/mil recipients....

It was difficult enough the first time, finding a WO who was 20% female.

If only there were some way to make this more complicated......if only....    :brickwall:

Journeyman said:
If only there were some way to make this more complicated......if only....    :brickwall:
Be careful what you wish for, even in jest ....

Journeyman said:

Well, there will no doubt be a "Canada 150" medal in 2017, so I'm certain lessons learned here will be applied to that one.

Advances in DNA sequencing should be far enough advanced to produce that 20% female WO by 2017.  :D

Back